Archived Topic

QB Group

by scott715 · 8/16/2012

Advertisement
S
scott715
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765597290/BYU-football-notebook-Battle-for-No-3-QB-wages-on-between-Jason-Munns-and-Taysom-Hill.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Doman said Hill and sophomore Ammon Olsen will both serve as the scout team quarterback.



"Those reps will be shared between Ammon and Taysom. As we go through this season and get those guys as many reps throughout the week as we can get them, we're going to try to see if Taysom can help us on the field with his athleticism in ways. We don't know if that's going to be the case yet. We haven't even tried it in practice yet. Those are things we're exploring. We don't foresee redshirting (Hill)."
Y
YNot
scott715 wrote:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765597290/BYU-football-notebook-Battle-for-No-3-QB-wages-on-between-Jason-Munns-and-Taysom-Hill.html



Doman said Hill and sophomore Ammon Olsen will both serve as the scout team quarterback.



"Those reps will be shared between Ammon and Taysom. As we go through this season and get those guys as many reps throughout the week as we can get them, we're going to try to see if Taysom can help us on the field with his athleticism in ways. We don't know if that's going to be the case yet. We haven't even tried it in practice yet. Those are things we're exploring. We don't foresee redshirting (Hill)."


Nice. Best of both worlds, potentially. Hill gets some good reps running the scout team, hopefully a few situational reps and as third string QB, and the chance for some game day experience in real-time situations.



Apparently, the dichotomy of scout team/redshirt versus playing time/2013 preparation (that all lot of us freaked out about over the last several weeks) doesn't even exist.
C
Cougs_Rule
I'm torn. Lark has certainly paid his dues. But Hill will continue to inch up or maybe even yard up on Lark as he did yesterday. Riley = Doman= Hill > (there was no "not equal" symbol on my iPad) Lark. Lark may be mobile, but he does not have the same game and heart and therefore mindset and to some degree scheme as the Domanator.
L
Lawboy
Lark is ready to step in if needed right now and run with it. Hill, while looking so much better in fall than in spring, is ready for limited reps. I want to win now, so Lark is the #2 guy. And not because I think his time in the program gives him that right, but because I think he is ready and gives BYU a better chance to win now.
B
Brayden Green
I wouldn't say that Lark "is ready" to play D1 football. Mentally, he might be. But every time I have seen him play within the last 2 years he has looked terrible. Not a bag on the guy, just judging based on his actual performance. If/when Riley goes down (for a couple plays, or a couple games) then we are in SERIOUS trouble. The only way to slightly counteract this is if we have an established running game. Which, we won't against any team that wins half of its games.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Although after watching yesterday's scrummage, I am more convinced that LArk can get the job done, IF, the running game is as successful as I think and coaches suggest it can be. But I still believe that if Riley went down for the season, heaven forbid (amazing I can actually admit that about Riley), I think the QB situation would quickly evolve, devolve?, into a 2qb situation. Hill will bring an energy that Riley brought. It's an assertiveness that Im not sure Lark has.
B
byucougar1
The RBs have already opened up the passing game as they present another weapon that the D has to account for. Makes the QB job easier especially when it comes to play action pass/run options. The RBs are also involved as an option to catch the ball as a relief valve if WR covered. Throw in the fact that Doman is looking at ways to incorporate Hill, Kuresa and Falslev as RB/wildcat QBs opens things up even more. Note we have speed at RB (Hine, Williams), power (Pritchard, Lasike and Mendenhall), and combo backs (Alisa, Foote). This the D cannot focus soley on QB which will help both Lark and Hill in relieving pressure to be main guy. Not many teams have luxury of 5-yr QB as back-up that knows system as well as Riley. He will be more than adequate to fill in if Riley goes down - as he has talent (offered schollie over Riley out of HS).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I wouldn't say that Lark "is ready" to play D1 football. Mentally, he might be. But every time I have seen him play within the last 2 years he has looked terrible. Not a bag on the guy, just judging based on his actual performance. If/when Riley goes down (for a couple plays, or a couple games) then we are in SERIOUS trouble. The only way to slightly counteract this is if we have an established running game. Which, we won't against any team that wins half of its games.

We heard this same thing when heaps was starter and EVERYONE was so afraid of how bad Riley would look. Time to quit worrying so much. The only thing we've seen lark do is hand the ball off.
S
Schmoe
BroncoBot wrote:
I wouldn't say that Lark "is ready" to play D1 football. Mentally, he might be. But every time I have seen him play within the last 2 years he has looked terrible. Not a bag on the guy, just judging based on his actual performance. If/when Riley goes down (for a couple plays, or a couple games) then we are in SERIOUS trouble. The only way to slightly counteract this is if we have an established running game. Which, we won't against any team that wins half of its games.

We heard this same thing when heaps was starter and EVERYONE was so afraid of how bad Riley would look. Time to quit worrying so much. The only thing we've seen lark do is hand the ball off.


I saw him play in the scrimmage and he looked very good, much better than I've ever seen him before.
B
Brayden Green
Schmoe wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I wouldn't say that Lark "is ready" to play D1 football. Mentally, he might be. But every time I have seen him play within the last 2 years he has looked terrible. Not a bag on the guy, just judging based on his actual performance. If/when Riley goes down (for a couple plays, or a couple games) then we are in SERIOUS trouble. The only way to slightly counteract this is if we have an established running game. Which, we won't against any team that wins half of its games.

We heard this same thing when heaps was starter and EVERYONE was so afraid of how bad Riley would look. Time to quit worrying so much. The only thing we've seen lark do is hand the ball off.


I saw him play in the scrimmage and he looked very good, much better than I've ever seen him before.


That's good. It was against the #2 defense, but if he has improved upon last year than that can only be good for us.



(And for the poster above, I have watched him do more than just hand the ball off previously. He was pretty bad. If he has improved, then that is awesome, because at this point it isn't *IF* Riley will get hurt this season, it is for how many plays.)
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
I wouldn't say that Lark "is ready" to play D1 football. Mentally, he might be. But every time I have seen him play within the last 2 years he has looked terrible. Not a bag on the guy, just judging based on his actual performance. If/when Riley goes down (for a couple plays, or a couple games) then we are in SERIOUS trouble. The only way to slightly counteract this is if we have an established running game. Which, we won't against any team that wins half of its games.

We heard this same thing when heaps was starter and EVERYONE was so afraid of how bad Riley would look. Time to quit worrying so much. The only thing we've seen lark do is hand the ball off.


I saw him play in the scrimmage and he looked very good, much better than I've ever seen him before.


That's good. It was against the #2 defense, but if he has improved upon last year than that can only be good for us.



(And for the poster above, I have watched him do more than just hand the ball off previously. He was pretty bad. If he has improved, then that is awesome, because at this point it isn't *IF* Riley will get hurt this season, it is for how many plays.)


Yeah, before it was almost a toss-up between Lark and Munns. Now, Lark looks like his footwork has improved, he looks more mobile, agile, and aware in the pocket. He made good decisions quickly and completed good looking passes. I'm not positive what happened, but I'd say a lot of quiet hard work amidst all the QB controversy stuff over the last two years and a new found confidence as he's the #2 guy.
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I wouldn't say that Lark "is ready" to play D1 football. Mentally, he might be. But every time I have seen him play within the last 2 years he has looked terrible. Not a bag on the guy, just judging based on his actual performance. If/when Riley goes down (for a couple plays, or a couple games) then we are in SERIOUS trouble. The only way to slightly counteract this is if we have an established running game. Which, we won't against any team that wins half of its games.

Simply terrible or just terrible? :). :)



More seriously, if Riley goes down, and he probably will, I would much rather get a look at Lark than another look at Jake Heaps unless he has found some intestinal fortitude since transferring.



I think once you figure out how to get over your disappointment over how that all turned out, you might be able to enjoy YOUR TEAM.



IDK if Lark can cut it. I hope he can. He is not terrible - simply or otherwise. But whether he is merely adequate, good, or a hidden gem ala Brandon Doman that just needed to get his shot. It shouldn't take long to answer that question if he ever gets his shot.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Cougarbib wrote:
I wouldn't say that Lark "is ready" to play D1 football. Mentally, he might be. But every time I have seen him play within the last 2 years he has looked terrible. Not a bag on the guy, just judging based on his actual performance. If/when Riley goes down (for a couple plays, or a couple games) then we are in SERIOUS trouble. The only way to slightly counteract this is if we have an established running game. Which, we won't against any team that wins half of its games.

Simply terrible or just terrible? :). :)



More seriously, if Riley goes down, and he probably will, I would much rather get a look at Lark than another look at Jake Heaps unless he has found some intestinal fortitude since transferring.



I think once you figure out how to get over your disappointment over how that all turned out, you might be able to enjoy YOUR TEAM.



IDK if Lark can cut it. I hope he can. He is not terrible - simply or otherwise. But whether he is merely adequate, good, or a hidden gem ala Brandon Doman that just needed to get his shot. It shouldn't take long to answer that question if he ever gets his shot.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Troll. I didn't say anything about Heaps. You brought it up.



Ute Troll.



Speaking of enjoying YOUR TEAM, enjoy the Utes in the Pac 12 this year, "Bibster." :utard:
C
Cougarbib
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I wouldn't say that Lark "is ready" to play D1 football. Mentally, he might be. But every time I have seen him play within the last 2 years he has looked terrible. Not a bag on the guy, just judging based on his actual performance. If/when Riley goes down (for a couple plays, or a couple games) then we are in SERIOUS trouble. The only way to slightly counteract this is if we have an established running game. Which, we won't against any team that wins half of its games.

Simply terrible or just terrible? :). :)



More seriously, if Riley goes down, and he probably will, I would much rather get a look at Lark than another look at Jake Heaps unless he has found some intestinal fortitude since transferring.



I think once you figure out how to get over your disappointment over how that all turned out, you might be able to enjoy YOUR TEAM.



IDK if Lark can cut it. I hope he can. He is not terrible - simply or otherwise. But whether he is merely adequate, good, or a hidden gem ala Brandon Doman that just needed to get his shot. It shouldn't take long to answer that question if he ever gets his shot.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Troll. I didn't say anything about Heaps. You brought it up.



Ute Troll.



Speaking of enjoying YOUR TEAM, enjoy the Utes in the Pac 12 this year, "Bibster." :utard:

Now I feel Terrible. Simply, Simply, Simply Terrible. Simply.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
Schmoe wrote:
Before it was almost a toss-up between Lark and Munns.

Yeah, before they were both at BYU. ;)

At least, not this year or last.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
For most of fall camp last year it was thought that Lark had moved ahead of Nelson as the number 2 guy, so he hasn't been terrible in practice. I really think Lark can get the job done if it comes to that.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
stuckinbig10country wrote:
For most of fall camp last year it was thought that Lark had moved ahead of Nelson as the number 2 guy, so he hasn't been terrible in practice. I really think Lark can get the job done if it comes to that.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

This is not correct. For about a week of camp, it looked like Lark was making real strides and might start challenging Nelson. Then he either fell back or Nelson picked it up. Either way, Lark was never the #2 guy in camp last year. It did look like he might be able to make a push, but he never was ahead of Nelson.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
For most of fall camp last year it was thought that Lark had moved ahead of Nelson as the number 2 guy, so he hasn't been terrible in practice. I really think Lark can get the job done if it comes to that.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

This is not correct. For about a week of camp, it looked like Lark was making real strides and might start challenging Nelson. Then he either fell back or Nelson picked it up. Either way, Lark was never the #2 guy in camp last year. It did look like he might be able to make a push, but he never was ahead of Nelson.


You are both correct, iirc. Lark was never #2. But back when nearly everyone wanted Nelson out of the way, there were many posts saying Nelson was being out performed by Lark and did not deserve #2, let alone #1.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Nelson was being out performed - for a few days. I think it was two or three days before a scrimmage. Then in the scrimmage, Lark didn't do as well and Nelson kind of reasserted himself.



I'm going solely off memory here, so I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it.



This year, It does seem like Lark is producing relatively decently. Decently enough that BYU should be ok if/when Nelson goes down.



If Riley were to get hurt, I think BYU will become even more of a run-oriented team.
C
cougman
dmcougar wrote:
I'm torn. Lark has certainly paid his dues. But Hill will continue to inch up or maybe even yard up on Lark as he did yesterday. Riley = Doman= Hill > (there was no "not equal" symbol on my iPad) Lark. Lark may be mobile, but he does not have the same game and heart and therefore mindset and to some degree scheme as the Domanator.


What have you seen from Lark that would qualify you to pass judgement on his heart? Just curious.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.