Archived Topic

sectional colors vs Hawaii

by hawkwing · 8/10/2012

Advertisement
G
Guest
BYU is trying to make this work, where fans wear blue or white depending upon what section you're in. What do you think?



https://p.twimg.com/Az8fi1tCYAAmVzC.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
I've seen a couple of tweets about the sectional colored seating vs Hawaii. Does anyone know if this looks like it will be a success? I think it looks awesome and would be a really fun game atmosphere, I just don't know how many people are actually going to participate, and then it would look lame.



It also would look a lot better if everyone in the blue sections painted their faces and arms blue. Perhaps Sno or tobias funke could give some lessons?
J
jonnylingo
to be honest I think it is going to be a horrible failure unless byu had white and blue shirts ready to be handed out according to section.
G
Guest
I've merged two topics that were posted simultaneously. I posted just barely before BroncoBot, so even though he created the poll, my post is first. No need to have two topics about the one issue though. Thanks.
G
Guest
As for my thoughts, I think it will be a pretty big failure, but it will have just enough people do it so that they try it again, and it will succeed a little more each time. Personally, I like the idea of having a striped stadium, I think that would show well on TV. But with BYU fans it's going to take a while to catch on.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
hawkwing wrote:
As for my thoughts, I think it will be a pretty big failure, but it will have just enough people do it so that they try it again, and it will succeed a little more each time. Personally, I like the idea of having a striped stadium, I think that would show well on TV. But with BYU fans it's going to take a while to catch on.

Have similar thoughts as hawk and jonny. First time will be an absolute disgrace unless there are shirts waiting for the fans.... OR there is a some serious peer pressure in provo leading up to the game. Would be awesome if everyone jumped on board and wore the correct colors though.
S
Schmoe
I hate to get down on the fanbase, but between the clueless blue hairs and the pink popped polo students, this thing is gonna fly about as well as an arthritic ostrich.
C
Cougarbib
Some entrepreneur needs to invent a reversible shirt - blue on one side and white on the other. Then because we have the honor code - the announcer can ask everyone to close their eyes whole the boys and girls reverse their shirts as needed. Nobody should be admitted without wearing the reversible shirt.



Think of the possibilities - set up one way for the start and then change it up every quarter.



Wait - what about all of the fans that show up late or leave early.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Want to make it work? pass out 65000 shirts at the gates.
C
crazycougar84601
Oh no....I am in section 145....what do I do?
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
Want to make it work? pass out 65000 shirts at the gates.


Exactly.
W
Wickchad
jonnylingo wrote:
to be honest I think it is going to be a horrible failure unless byu had white and blue shirts ready to be handed out according to section.


This is the only way it works. If a shirt is sitting on each seat then its possible that the people will put them on over whatever color shirt they were wearing. Similar to what NBA teams do in the playoffs.



Do the students even have an assigned seat to know what color shirt they should wear?
M
Mars
63,000 free shirts is not realistic. BYU fans may fail at this, but it is still a good idea, IMO. We just need to coach-up our clueless fans over time.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
a1247
Mars wrote:
63,000 free shirts is not realistic. BYU fans may fail at this, but it is still a good idea, IMO. We just need to coach-up our clueless fans over time.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">






"Coach-up our clueless fans over time"? Its been atleast 10 years and they still can't figure out that there suppose to wear blue! BYU has some of the worse fans in the nation when it comes to game day atmosphere and understanding what to wear. Every year they have those adds on the jumbo screen with the players all but begging the fans to wear blue in support and every year about a third to half of the fans fail to do so. Its not like its getting better, its still about the same amount of people/losers that cant figure out what to wear. Hell even a drunk off his arse frUte fan can see and think well enough to put on a red or black shirt on game day. And if he doesnt have one he makes sure he buys one because they're not going to show up in the wrong color shirt. But a BYU fan its ok dont spend the money on a blue shirt when you have a great yellow, gray, pink, red, purple, or any other color shirt that isn't blue waiting to be worn in the closet. This whole color by section is going to be an epic failure and the worse part is the ESPN announcers are going to point it out live on TV! :sick:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Actually I think there has been a marked improvement in fans wearing blue since they really started pushing it in 2006. I think the same thing could happen with this, if BYU stays consistent.
Advertisement
J
JamieVallen
Maybe I should buy a mass amount of shirts that are just blank blue or white and sell them for 8-10 bucks at the door with a big version of this diagram. It would be a gamble though... And I'm not sure if BYU would even let me sell around the stadium.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
HoosierCougar
Hate to prove myself the old guy, but I remember when President Bateman used to do the "Won't you wear blue, won't you be my neighbor" vignettes on the video baord. I know they ran that the night Jimmy Mac was honored at halftime of the BYU SDSU game in 1999 for his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame. So that means they've been pushing this idea (wear blue) for over a dozen years.



I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Athletic Dept has to create an incentive until the culture changes.



What's cheaper: free hot dog or popcorn if you wear blue or handing out the free shirts?

even Airwolf could get behind that math!
G
Guest
HoosierCougar wrote:
Hate to prove myself the old guy, but I remember when President Bateman used to do the "Won't you wear blue, won't you be my neighbor" vignettes on the video baord. I know they ran that the night Jimmy Mac was honored at halftime of the BYU SDSU game in 1999 for his induction into the College Football Hall of Fame. So that means they've been pushing this idea (wear blue) for over a dozen years.



I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Athletic Dept has to create an incentive until the culture changes.



What's cheaper: free hot dog or popcorn if you wear blue or handing out the free shirts?

even Airwolf could get behind that math!


You're right they did, but it felt like to me, that the emphasis was lost during the Crowton years and then came back when Bronco really started pushing it.
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
Actually I think there has been a marked improvement in fans wearing blue since they really started pushing it in 2006. I think the same thing could happen with this, if BYU stays consistent.


Hey Mister 100% man, 8) 8) 8) 8) you might want to consider that you are 100% color blind. A compliment to be sure, but I beg to differ. It has not improved because 40% blue to 50% blue hardly registers on the REAL improvement vs the statistical improvement.

This remains my number one pet peave!!!! And I am about to break out my CC attitude in fans faces who don't wear blue.



And for all my criticism to the athletic dept for their lame attempts, Mr Rogers included as THE MOST EMBARRASSING, to get lame fans to wear blue, I like this as at least something more strategic and thought out.... "if you can't get them to wear all blue or all white, then do this sectionally and raise awareness." Now, If they want critical mass in each section AND if they don't want to give out tshirts, they better come up with a strategy to get it done!!



Ideas: two home games before Hawaii, announce, publicize, signs, and a demo for each section at each concourse with a loud speaker (during time-outs or breaks in the action) get Cosmo down there, cheerleaders, and tell each section. What color they are wearing.

Then at the home game before Hawaii, hand out an ice cream bar for all those who actually wear the right color and do the same song and dance as the previous game.

Otherwise, if they leave this to chance and weak advertising, then they wil get the same results and YES, embarrassment on national television.



My prediction: FLOP TOWN. Should be Cougar Town but lame butt fans.....arghh :sulk: :sulk: :angry: :angry: :evil: :evil:



WEAR BLUE OR STAY THE HELLOUTTA THE STADIUM!!!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:



Hey there's an idea. Dont allow anyone in the stadium unless they have blue on or the opposing teams color. It's like the law of consecration--sort of, with a totalitarian twist. :whistle:
S
SpiffCoug
I really don't care what fans wear. I wear white because it is one of our colors and I sweat less in it. I don't think what I wear or how I cheer changes the outcome of the game.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.