Archived Topic

Best QB in Utah

by SpiffCoug · 8/9/2012

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Last week, I think it was, I was listening to the radio and the show on 700 was Hans Olsen and a guest host for Bill Riley (can't remember who) and they were talking about who was going to be the best QB in the state. Both agreed that Riley Nelson probably wasn't even in the top 3.



I thought that was just odd and wrong. I think Riley will be the best QB in the state of Utah this year.



Thoughts?
E
El Xisco
I never expect those ESPN 700 hacks to credit BYU in anything, so their comments don't surprise me.



For the record, I voted Riley Nelson as the best QB in the state, and he'll prove it.
S
Stirfry
SpiffCoug wrote:

Thoughts?


My thought is I feel bad for Hans that he has to work with Bill Riley.



Voted for Riley but I don't think there's a lot of seperation. This morning DJ and PK were talking about this and PK was saying he thinks Lark would be the starter at Utah right now if he were there.



Chuckie definatley had some impressive moments but also had 2 NFL RB behind him.



Wynn seems like he's a good QB when healthy but when you hear about his marquee games they talk about his freshman bowl game versus a bad Cal defense and a bad Iowa State team.



I've warmed up to Riley over the summer and I'm excited to seem him this year. I feel like he gets trashed for his arm because people compared it to Heaps but I don't feel like his arm is any weaker than Wynn's (especially Wynn's last year). I'll take Riley with his arm, attitude, legs, and leadership out of the group.
U
Ungoy
Riley will be best.



Ever since Hans moved to ESPN 700, he seems to be trying to ingratiate himself with the :utard: crowd. The few times I tuned into his show after he moved there, I rarely heard him say anything good about BYU. There's definitely an biased, anti-BYU vibe going on there. I quickly stopped listening, and until Hans comes around and starts respecting where he came from, he's dead to me. Kyle Gunther on 1320 seems to give BYU more credit than Hans does. It's like there's a job requirement working for ESPN 700 that you have to be a Crimson goggled yewt.
B
BroncoBot
Best TRADITIONAL QB? not Riley Nelson. That would have been Jake Heaps a year ago. But I agree with the voters if we're talking about the QB who gives their team the best chance to win.... absolutely Nelson.
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
Also, who in their right minds really thinks that Jordan Wynn is all of the sudden not going to be a little girl, and not made of glass? USU's QB's aren't going to be close to BYU, and USU is going to get a shock when they get blown out this year. If they think it's going to be like the last two years when Heaps played, they're going to be surprised when Riley shreds them.
C
Cougarbib
Tied - wait - Max Hall



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Not on the list. Taysom Hill is the best all around qb.

Riley is the next best and the right guy for byu and better than the others schmoes on that list.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
It is between Riley and Wynn - due to combination of experience, talent, and grit. The one who stays healthy longest will win.



Running game will take heat off Wynn and make him look good.



What the Hey



Riley



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Riley probably has the least athletic talent out of all of them but he just finds ways to win games. If you removed Riley from that list and replaced him with Taysom Hill, I would still pick Taysom Hill.
Advertisement
B
BOID
Riley will separate himself from Wynn. J Lark and T Hill derserve to be on that list if it is going to include Utes' and USU's second stringers. Wynn is likely to get hurt in the BYU game. He is fragile, and will get pummeled by the Cougar front seven.
F
fifthqb
I vote Lark. =)



Objectively, I don't know if there is a clear cut answer. Given the past years results, I vote a big "meh" on all of them.
M
mizzoucoug
dmcougar wrote:
Not on the list. Taysom Hill is the best all around qb.

Riley is the next best and the right guy for byu and better than the others schmoes on that list.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


LOL. I really hope that is true.
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
Riley probably has the least athletic talent out of all of them but he just finds ways to win games. If you removed Riley from that list and replaced him with Taysom Hill, I would still pick Taysom Hill.


No way Wynn is more athletic than Riley. Maybe, MAYBE, Wynn has a better arm, but wow, athleticism falls to Riley.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
dmcougar wrote:
Riley probably has the least athletic talent out of all of them but he just finds ways to win games. If you removed Riley from that list and replaced him with Taysom Hill, I would still pick Taysom Hill.


No way Wynn is more athletic than Riley. Maybe, MAYBE, Wynn has a better arm, but wow, athleticism falls to Riley.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I agree, Wynn is definitely not more athletic, I don't even think he has a better arm. Riley had a sweet bullet pass today that went 35 yards, I'd be really surprised to see Wynn make that same pass.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
dmcougar wrote:
Riley probably has the least athletic talent out of all of them but he just finds ways to win games. If you removed Riley from that list and replaced him with Taysom Hill, I would still pick Taysom Hill.


No way Wynn is more athletic than Riley. Maybe, MAYBE, Wynn has a better arm, but wow, athleticism falls to Riley.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


When I talk about athletics in a QB, it is specifically related to his arm strength. Fortunately for us, Riley is very smart, and a very hard worker, coupled with his running ability. That makes him better than the other guys who are better "prototypical" QB's.
Y
Y12
I remember Vai being adamant that Chase Hansen, while still a sr. in high school, was the best QB in the state of utah on any level.



Can we add him to the poll?
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Riley probably has the least athletic talent out of all of them but he just finds ways to win games. If you removed Riley from that list and replaced him with Taysom Hill, I would still pick Taysom Hill.


No way Wynn is more athletic than Riley. Maybe, MAYBE, Wynn has a better arm, but wow, athleticism falls to Riley.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


When I talk about athletics in a QB, it is specifically related to his arm strength. Fortunately for us, Riley is very smart, and a very hard worker, coupled with his running ability. That makes him better than the other guys who are better "prototypical" QB's.


So Jake Heaps was the most athletic last year??????? :skeptic:
B
byucougar1
So a laser, thrown on a rope, bullet, dart-like pass in the dirt, over the head, in front of or behind the WR is athletic?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
byucougar1 wrote:
So a laser, thrown on a rope, bullet, dart-like pass in the dirt, over the head, in front of or behind the WR is athletic?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


...or a pass that is floated with finesse straight to the D-end.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.