Archived Topic

Kicking Woes

by YNot · 8/8/2012

Advertisement
Y
YNot
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/54651598-88/sorensen-stephenson-kicker-field.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Without Sorenson, our kicking game will suffer. Stephensen can consistently make PAT's and the 25-35 yard field goals, but 35+ will be a roller coaster. He can make the 42 yard field goal, but not with the consistency we want. Could be a decisive factor in the tough road games.



Perhaps we will see more 4th down conversion attempts between the 25 and 35 yard lines.
B
BroncoBot
I don't recall Sorensen being a great 40+ fg kicker.
G
Guest
Not since he was in high school. Poor guy has been an injury magnet his whole college career.
W
Wickchad
This won't affect us that much. Sorensen was not kicking touchbacks and his long distance fieldgoals were terrible. This year the kickoff is moved up 5 yards so I think we will get plenty of touchbacks regardless of who is the kicker. We haven't had a kicker would could make long fieldgoals since Matt Payne's junior year. I'd rather wait for Sorensen to get healthy and see if he can live up to his hype next year.
B
BroncoBot
Wickchad84087 wrote:
This won't affect us that much. Sorensen was not kicking touchbacks and his long distance fieldgoals were terrible. This year the kickoff is moved up 5 yards so I think we will get plenty of touchbacks regardless of who is the kicker. We haven't had a kicker would could make long fieldgoals since Matt Payne's junior year. I'd rather wait for Sorensen to get healthy and see if he can live up to his hype next year.

I read somewhere that Stephensen (who was doing kickoffs the year before Sorensen) had a better touchback % than did Sorensen.



I feel bad for Sorensen, if I could get ahold of that damn brown recluse.....
Advertisement
D
DarthMagnus
in today's interview with the media, Bronco said he expects him to be ready. Not that that is entirely reassuring, but one can hope.
Y
Y 4 Ever
I fully expect a WHOLE lot of going for it on 4th down. And that is just fine with me. I just hope we don't find ourselves down by 2 at the 35 yard line with 5 seconds left.
C
Cougarbib
Wickchad84087 wrote:
This won't affect us that much. Sorensen was not kicking touchbacks and his long distance fieldgoals were terrible. This year the kickoff is moved up 5 yards so I think we will get plenty of touchbacks regardless of who is the kicker. We haven't had a kicker would could make long fieldgoals since Matt Payne's junior year. I'd rather wait for Sorensen to get healthy and see if he can live up to his hype next year.

You sure a field goal would not have helped in 2010 vs Utah or that consistent special teams would not have made a difference Vs TCU last year?



We have a punter that can be very good. It seems he has been distracted previously trying to practice or kick field goals. Maybe a focus on punting avoids a debacle like TCU.



This is huge. If healthy our kicking game will be strong and our punter can punt.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wickchad
Cougarbib2 wrote:
This won't affect us that much. Sorensen was not kicking touchbacks and his long distance fieldgoals were terrible. This year the kickoff is moved up 5 yards so I think we will get plenty of touchbacks regardless of who is the kicker. We haven't had a kicker would could make long fieldgoals since Matt Payne's junior year. I'd rather wait for Sorensen to get healthy and see if he can live up to his hype next year.

You sure a field goal would not have helped in 2010 vs Utah or that consistent special teams would not have made a difference Vs TCU last year?



We have a punter that can be very good. It seems he has been distracted previously trying to practice or kick field goals. Maybe a focus on punting avoids a debacle like TCU.



This is huge. If healthy our kicking game will be strong and our punter can punt.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I would be just as confident having Stephensen kick a field goal as I would be having Sorensen kick a field goal. Which means I would assume that either one of them is more likely to miss it if the kick is > 30 yards. Sorensen has not been a good field goal kicker so it wouldn't really be a strength to have him kicking them for us this year. As far as PAT's I would expect any kicker to make every one of them. There will be ton more touchbacks this year just due to the kickoff being moved up 5 yards.



Now if Sorensen actually had been a good kicker for us I would agree that him sitting out a year hurts us. I would not be surprised if there is a student at BYU right now that could walk on and give us a better option to kick field goals.
M
Mars
DarthMagnus wrote:
in today's interview with the media, Bronco said he expects him to be ready. Not that that is entirely reassuring, but one can hope.

With Bronco, Coach Speak > Truth. I bet the kid misses the season.
Advertisement
G
golong
With our defense expected to be very good, I'm a proponent of never punting after we cross mid-field, just call the 50 yard line four down territory and plan on 4 downs.



I recall when my kids were in little league baseball, some coaches, knowing that young kids don't field the ball real well, and don't throw and catch real well, would have every player who got a hit to just round the bases and keep on running to home base--most of the time it worked.



If this team can't make ten yards in 4 downs they deserve to get beat--just go for it baby.
G
Guest
According to DeepShadesofBlue doctors have told Sorensen that he's a minimum of 3 months away from recovering from his back surgery and have recommended he sit out the year.
F
frdbtr
The information Bronco gave at the presser yesterday was before Sorenson went to see his Dr's. Bronco was only giving his opinion from the best data he had at the time.
B
BYULV
Was it jake kuresa or one of the other QBs they mentioned was practicing kicking PATs after practice last week? Maybe he will kick some.
C
Cougarbib
BYULV wrote:
Was it jake kuresa or one of the other QBs they mentioned was practicing kicking PATs after practice last week? Maybe he will kick some.

I believe it was Hill.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
crh55
Can someone help explain why we struggle in the kicking game?



I totally understand how we have historically struggled to recruit, fast atheletic DB's. But, Kickers??? It seems like their should be plenty of white boys who are willing to live the honor code that know how to kick willing to come to BYU.



:skeptic:
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:
The information Bronco gave at the presser yesterday was before Sorenson went to see his Dr's. Bronco was only giving his opinion from the best data he had at the time.

And yet he gave the same opinion today, after the visit with the Doc...
M
Mars
BYULV wrote:
Was it jake kuresa or one of the other QBs they mentioned was practicing kicking PATs after practice last week? Maybe he will kick some.

Taysom Hill, actually. Kuresa is a slot-WR/kick-returner.
M
Mars
crh55 wrote:
Can someone help explain why we struggle in the kicking game? I totally understand how we have historically struggled to recruit, fast atheletic DB's. But, Kickers??? It seems like their should be plenty of white boys who are willing to live the honor code that know how to kick willing to come to BYU.

:skeptic:

Didn't BYU actually miss out on a highly-regarded kicker just the other week? I seem to recall us offering a kid and him choosing some other school. Stanford maybe?
G
Guest
Mars wrote:
The information Bronco gave at the presser yesterday was before Sorenson went to see his Dr's. Bronco was only giving his opinion from the best data he had at the time.

And yet he gave the same opinion today, after the visit with the Doc...

Yeah, that was an interesting take by Bronco. I can only assume he's telling Sorensen not to feel like he can take it easy or be lazy.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.