Archived Topic

Beck v. Hall

by Cougarpoke · 8/7/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
So now that Hall has come back to coach for a bit, and I am assuming that Beck only has a year or two left before he is out of the league, which would you rather have roaming the sidelines as a coach at BYU?



Personally, I love Hall's fire and passion. For that reason alone i think I would rather have him.
C
Cougs_Rule
Beck. Better at schemes and more likable.
M
Mars


Have Beck coach the starter, and Hall put a chip on the back-ups shoulders.
V
vancouvercougar
Mars wrote:


Have Beck coach the starter, and Hall put a chip on the back-ups shoulders.


+1
T
trueblue72
Hall. I'd rather have to guy who told the Utes what we all think vs the guy who cried after losing to the U.



A guy doesn't become the all time wins leader without having a good knowledge and understanding of the scheme. Remember after Anae was let go, Hall came out and said that there were many play calls that he didn't like but he went out and made stuff happen. Physically Hall isn't as gifted as Beck but had more success. I know many will say Crowton v Bronco on that issue, but my point is Hall had to have very good understanding of the O and scheme to have that success without as much talent.



Hall all day long!
Advertisement
G
Guest
I'd have to go with Beck, he's a better football mind, has and understands all the physical tools, and he didn't crack under pressure in his senior year.
Y
YNot
Are there NCAA restrictions on the number or types of coaches a team can have? I heard that Hall is able to be a student assistant because he hasn't graduated yet and is taking classes. Why does that matter? Couldn't BYU just hire him (or Beck) as a QB coach? Or assistant coach?
T
trueblue72
hawkwing wrote:
I'd have to go with Beck, he's a better football mind, has and understands all the physical tools, and he didn't crack under pressure in his senior year.


Apparently we didn't watch the same BC and Arizona games Beck's senior year. Sorry, I'm not trying to make this Hall vs Beck who's better. I think that Hall's skills, abilities etc... are and have always been discounted. I think they'd both be good at the QB coach spot. i just like Hall's fire. Personally after hearing stories of Detmer using Geometry to teach Marriucci, Young, Knapp and others about the other teams defense, I'd rather have him.



I think we are at the limit of coaches that we can have as dictated by the NCAA. 9 or 10 is the limit I think.
G
Guest
NCAA Article 11: Conduct and Employment of Athletics Personnel:



11.7.2 Football Bowl Subdivision - There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches and two graduate assistant coaches who may be employed by an institution in bowl subdivision football.



11.7.2.1 Exceptions to Number Limits FBS - No individual other than coaches designated to fill the coaching categories set forth in Bylaw 11.7.2 may participate in any manner in the coaching of the intercollegiate team of a member institution during any football game, practice or other organized activity, with the following exceptions:



11.7.2.1.1 Weight or Strength Coach FBS - A weight (strength and conditioning) coach may conduct flexibility, warm-up and physical conditioning activities prior to any game and prior to or during any practice or other organized activities without being included in the limitations on number of coaches.



11.7.2.1.2 Undergraduate Coach FBS - The limits on the number of coaches in this section do not apply to undergraduate coaches.
G
Guest
YNot wrote:
Are there NCAA restrictions on the number or types of coaches a team can have? I heard that Hall is able to be a student assistant because he hasn't graduated yet and is taking classes. Why does that matter? Couldn't BYU just hire him (or Beck) as a QB coach? Or assistant coach?


Personally, I don't want either one as a QB coach, though one more reason I'd want to go with Beck over Hall is that he has more experience in different systems.



I'm not even sold on Detmer as a coach, but I'd be willing to give him a try. Most of all, I'd like a proven coach.
Advertisement
Y
YNot
hawkwing wrote:
NCAA Article 11: Conduct and Employment of Athletics Personnel:

11.7.2.1.2 Undergraduate Coach FBS - The limits on the number of coaches in this section do not apply to undergraduate coaches.


Thanks, hawkwing. Now it makes sense why having an "undergraduate coach" can be a advantage. Good for Max and the Cougs. Hopefully Max is a benefit.
F
frdbtr
trueblue72 wrote:
I'd have to go with Beck, he's a better football mind, has and understands all the physical tools, and he didn't crack under pressure in his senior year.


Apparently we didn't watch the same BC and Arizona games Beck's senior year. Sorry, I'm not trying to make this Hall vs Beck who's better. I think that Hall's skills, abilities etc... are and have always been discounted. I think they'd both be good at the QB coach spot. i just like Hall's fire. Personally after hearing stories of Detmer using Geometry to teach Marriucci, Young, Knapp and others about the other teams defense, I'd rather have him.



I think we are at the limit of coaches that we can have as dictated by the NCAA. 9 or 10 is the limit I think.


I'll give you the BC game but BYU got ROBBED in that AZ game.
C
Cougarbib
I'll take Hall. He is available and willIng and still an undergraduate. It would be great to have any of our great QBs here and focused on helping the team. As long as we are daydreaming - I will take Steve Young to mentor Nelson.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
trueblue72 wrote:
Hall. I'd rather have to guy who told the Utes what we all think vs the guy who cried after losing to the U.



A guy doesn't become the all time wins leader without having a good knowledge and understanding of the scheme. Remember after Anae was let go, Hall came out and said that there were many play calls that he didn't like but he went out and made stuff happen. Physically Hall isn't as gifted as Beck but had more success. I know many will say Crowton v Bronco on that issue, but my point is Hall had to have very good understanding of the O and scheme to have that success without as much talent.



Hall all day long!


Beg to differ. He had the two most LEGIT NFL guys BYU has had in some time and maybe 3.

Collie, Pitta, Unga >>>>> Harline, Brown, and sheesh, can't think of a great receiver.
V
vancouvercougar
Hall is available & Beck is not... I guess I'll take Hall.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
vancouvercougar wrote:
Hall is available & Beck is not... I guess I'll take Hall.

Hall is available and Beck is not... I'd rather have Beck for that very reason.
V
vancouvercougar
BroncoBot wrote:
Hall is available & Beck is not... I guess I'll take Hall.

Hall is available and Beck is not... I'd rather have Beck for that very reason.


Touché
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.