Archived Topic

Basketball Scrimmage Observations

by wisconsincougs · 8/7/2012

Advertisement
W
wisconsincougs
I visited Utah last week for a family reunion, and was able to make it over to the RB for about 30 minutes to watch the basketball team scrimmage.



I’ll make a comment on every player I observed, but about half the team was not in the gym that day (Carlino, Calvert, Ambrosino, Austin, Zylstra, Winder, Harward, Rogers).



Many of the alums were there playing as well, but I’ll skip commenting on them as it’s probably not all that informative that JT likes to shoot (others included Plaisted, Cummard, Hartsock, Abuou, Lamont Morgan).



Keep in mind these are limited observations of pick-up ball…take it for what it’s worth (which is not much, but it’s better than nothing this time of year). A team of Morgan, Delgado, Cusick, Sharp, and Davies won 5 or 6 games and held the court the full half hour I was there.



Tyler Haws – Sat on the sidelines and watched. Heard he’s a bit banged up (I don’t think it’s serious)…probably just typical RM setbacks.



I’ve read (and had the same thoughts myself) that an April return + Haws’ great work ethic = getting back to form quickly. While that’s still possible, it’s probably healthy if we adjust our collective expectations considering how incredibly rare it is for an RM to come back and be one of the top guys his first year home. Despite his work ethic, he’ll likely struggle at times with health and conditioning like everyone else.



Future Players



T.J. Haws – Good looking player. Knocked down a few 3’s and a nice 15 footer off the dribble, and generally looked like he belonged playing against guys 3-10 years older than him. He handled the ball reasonably well against pressure from Delgado and was running PG for his team. I hope he continues to develop as a point, as it seems he has good vision and passing ability. Combine that with a 6’3” frame and solid shooting and we have a great player on our hands.



Eric Mika – I didn’t see him on the floor for more than a few minutes, but he also held his own. Had a nice rebound put-back, missed a fade-away 15 footer, broke up an alley oop to Davies, and rebounded a few out of his area. I’ve heard he has played pretty well against the team in other scrimmages throughout the summer, so I’d expect he’ll be ready to be a contributor next year.



Current Players



Brandon Davies – Looks great! In shape, strong, plays like the best player on the floor. He scored from the post, from jumpers, off the dribble, and in transition. Had a ridiculous block high off the glass in transition (a Lebron-esque pin), and a pair of dunks off of an oop and a rebound. I’m excited for his senior season.



Raul Delgado – The dude has some jets…very fast. He had a few breaks where he just flat beat people down the floor off the dribble. He picked a pocket once (I think Haws) and went down for a two-handed jam off of one foot that reminded me of the way Latrell Sprewell used to dunk where he’d hammer it back behind the head (let’s hope the similarities end there).



He plays hard and digs in on D. I saw flashes of why he’s been described in articles as a potential replacement for Emery and Abuou as a defender…lots of deflections and some steals. He probably shot something like 3 for 6 from deep (a nice pull up off the dribble) and was aggressive going to the basket. He strikes me as someone who would earn trips to the free throw line every game, although I don’t know if stats bear that out.



I do think there will be a learning curve and adjustment, as his offensive aggression led to some turnovers or bad shots, but overall I’m very excited about adding his skill set to the team. He’s the opposite of a Cusick or Zylstra type player (safe, solid, more spot up shooters) and his athleticism is much needed. Let’s hope he can quickly pick up our system and will be a chemistry fit.



Craig Cusick – Speaking of Cusick, he looked pretty good in this scrimmage as well. Knocked down a bunch of 3’s, had a few nice drives where he was physical in either getting a bucket, a foul, or a nice dish, and looked more confident and aggressive than he did in the season. Very competitive player. You really can’t complain having him as a walk on and ready to step in to challenge for minutes if any of the scholarship players don’t perform.



Josh Sharp – He was a pleasant surprise. It seems he’s found his legs and was more springy than this season. He had a nice dunk, a handful of tip-ins with some hang time, and rebounded really well. He also hit a few 3’s and had a nice drive that finished with a hook shot. I’ve heard he’s played similarly most of the summer and has been solid. If we can get some good minutes out of him this season I see that as bonus.



Cooper Ainge – It is uncanny how similar his mannerisms are to his brother Austin. If you recall Austin’s game, take a few inches off the height (probably about 5’11”), keep the confidence and add maybe a slight increase in quickness and strength and you have Cooper. They have a similar stroke (he hit a pair of 3’s in 3 attempts) but at least in this scrimmage he looked to be a distributor.



I would be surprised if he sees the court this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he finds minutes as a backup PG in his BYU career. Like Cusick, he’s a solid player to have as a walk on.



Chris Collinsworth – I wouldn’t have guessed he’s been away from the game for 4 years (he wasn’t obviously rusty and didn’t look out of shape), but in the few minutes I watched him I didn’t see much to comment on. The important point is he was on the court! I think a setback is always a worry, but if we could get him healthy for the next 3 years that would be amazing.



From talking with others who have watched scrimmages this summer, they confirmed many of my comments above (Davies is dominating, Sharp/Cusick are solid, Delgado is a great athlete). Also, I’ve heard that Calvert has looked really good this summer as a shooter and he may push for time.



There you go. I feel like this season has a lot of unknowns (health of Rogers/Collinsworth/Austin, possibly Haws, contribution of newcomers like Delgado/Calvert/Harward, development of Carlino, etc.), but it seems like there are always unknowns and Coach Rose finds a well to blend it all together in to an NCAA tournament team. I’d expect that again this year, and should be a fun one to watch.
B
BroncoBot
awesome. Thanks
M
Mars


No Carlino?



Great write-up, thanks for doing it!
G
Guest
That's pretty awesome you got to check this scrimmage out, next time invite me along! :)
W
wisconsincougs
Ha that's all I will be able to see as I'm back in Minnesota where I live.



I think they play 4:00 to 6:00 M/W/F in the RB or Smith Fieldhouse, so you could try to stop by until school starts and see if you catch them.



There were a handful of fans sitting in the corner looking in.



As for Carlino, I heard he scrimmaged two days after I watched the team and was playing in June, so he must have just been out of town the day I was there.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
My brother-in-law played a pick up game the other week against Carlino and Winder.



He was quite impressed with Carlino. Said Carlino pretty much dominated and was hitting just about everything. Winder, not so much. My bro-in-law was not impressed with Winder at all and didn't think he belonged on the team.
C
cougfan84
How many other observers were there watching? I might stop by tomorrow.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.