Archived Topic

Thoughts on doman becoming a bishop,,,

by DarthMagnus · 8/6/2012

Advertisement
D
DarthMagnus
What are your thoughts on Brandon doman, offensive coordinator and qb coach, now splitting time between the team, his family, and 300 needy ward members?
C
Cougarbib
IDK. Tremendous load. Time consumer. Lavell somehow pulled this off in his day. I hope he calls two very dedicated counselors as he will be traveling a lot. I worry less about how this will affect the team and more about how effective a football coach can be as a Bishop.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wickchad
He must have been given the calling by a Ute fan...
C
Cougs_Rule
Wow. Two different eras, 80's vs today. Harder today. LaVel was also well established in his coaching job. Doman is still new-ish.

He will have to be abishop like the book says and not how most serve, which is doing too much. He will have to delegate x5 and have his EQ pres and HPGL do more welfare and wellness interviews than bishops normally do. And then use his councils to the max--organizer-in-chief and Presider-in-chief. I always try to take the view that serving is a privilege, so, theoretically, his work life will be blessed by his service = 1more win per season?? :-)

Maybe this is the Curse of The Dread Pirate-football is 5th. ;)

God Speed, BIshop Doman.
1
1967cougar
If it's too much of a conflict, he can step down from OC for a few years. Football pales in comparison to the good he can do in serving the members of his Ward. And I don't think the Good Lord will be too concerned about how many W's he has when he gets to the other side. But that's just my take. Hopefully there are few, very few, who think his job as OC is more important than being a Bishop.
Advertisement
G
Guest
An awful lot of Bishops have very demanding jobs, Brandon Doman is just one more. The Lord will bless him.
C
Cougs_Rule
1967cougar wrote:
If it's too much of a conflict, he can step down from OC for a few years. Football pales in comparison to the good he can do in serving the members of his Ward. And I don't think the Good Lord will be too concerned about how many W's he has when he gets to the other side. But that's just my take. Hopefully there are few, very few, who think his job as OC is more important than being a Bishop.


This is a fallacy. It is not in the best interests of the Lord, the Brethren, the Church or BYU to step down from your career to devote full-time to being a Bishop. Not to mention, unnecessary. Besides, "there is no success that can compensate for failure in the home"--including being a bishop.
B
BroncoBot
1967cougar wrote:
If it's too much of a conflict, he can step down from OC for a few years. Football pales in comparison to the good he can do in serving the members of his Ward. And I don't think the Good Lord will be too concerned about how many W's he has when he gets to the other side. But that's just my take. Hopefully there are few, very few, who think his job as OC is more important than being a Bishop.

I completely agree with this. Current BYU football priorities agree with this. This will certainly test B. Doman's time management and leadership skills. BUT, I personally believe he's up to the task and don't remember ever hearing of a bishop letting go of his full-time employment to serve.
1
1967cougar
dmcougar wrote:
If it's too much of a conflict, he can step down from OC for a few years. Football pales in comparison to the good he can do in serving the members of his Ward. And I don't think the Good Lord will be too concerned about how many W's he has when he gets to the other side. But that's just my take. Hopefully there are few, very few, who think his job as OC is more important than being a Bishop.


This is a fallacy. It is not in the best interests of the Lord, the Brethren, the Church or BYU to step down from your career to devote full-time to being a Bishop. Not to mention, unnecessary. Besides, "there is no success that can compensate for failure in the home"--including being a bishop.

Totally agree. In fact, I've known men to be released from the Bishop's calling in order to provide better for their family. What I was attempting to do was draw a real-life comparison between a calling where a priesthood holder can make a difference in one person's life on one hand, and a mere "game" on the other. Most of us on this board pretty well eat, sleep, and drink the blue and white kool aid, especially if it's is football flavored. We consider it more than just a "game." Everything has a time and a place. It's up to the individual to manage his time the best he can. I have no doubt that Doman will uphold both calling and career in a splendid manner. He would be especially effective if he would release all Ute fans from leadership positions and call them as Activity Committee members or Sunday School Secretaries - since neither calling exists anymore. That way they could see themselves in the relevant way the football world sees their team.
G
Gunk
Good luck with that, Doman. Get some solid counselors and don't be shy to use them. You're allowed to delegate a lot.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
BroncoBot wrote:
If it's too much of a conflict, he can step down from OC for a few years. Football pales in comparison to the good he can do in serving the members of his Ward. And I don't think the Good Lord will be too concerned about how many W's he has when he gets to the other side. But that's just my take. Hopefully there are few, very few, who think his job as OC is more important than being a Bishop.

I completely agree with this. Current BYU football priorities agree with this. This will certainly test B. Doman's time management and leadership skills. BUT, I personally believe he's up to the task and don't remember ever hearing of a bishop letting go of his full-time employment to serve.


My understanding is the church actually doesn't like their Bishops to be unemployed. A lot of money goes through the hands of a bishop.



I actually knew a bishop that lost his job and had trouble finding a new one. He was released.
C
Cougs_Rule
Fair enough. Sorry if I misread your previous post. The challenge lies in some members and even bishops believing they are the only ones that can minister, fix problems, or reach "the one."
A
a1247
I feel for his wife, her husband is already in a high demand time consuming job. Now the little time he did have to be home with her and the kids is going to be even less.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
I'll tell you what I find strange: They asked my current bishop to resign as an athletic trainer for the football team when they called him as a bishop. It seems that afternoons/evenings and weekends are prime time for bishops to be working with ward members, making it VERY difficult to do both.
C
Cougarbib
Schmoe wrote:
I'll tell you what I find strange: They asked my current bishop to resign as an athletic trainer for the football team when they called him as a bishop. It seems that afternoons/evenings and weekends are prime time for bishops to be working with ward members, making it VERY difficult to do both.

In the interest of full disclosure - was athletic trainer his only job? Didn't think so.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Cougarbib2 wrote:
I'll tell you what I find strange: They asked my current bishop to resign as an athletic trainer for the football team when they called him as a bishop. It seems that afternoons/evenings and weekends are prime time for bishops to be working with ward members, making it VERY difficult to do both.

In the interest of full disclosure - was athletic trainer his only job? Didn't think so.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


As far as I know, yes, and he's still job searching now.
D
DarthMagnus
a1247 wrote:
I feel for his wife, her husband is already in a high demand time consuming job. Now the little time he did have to be home with her and the kids is going to be even less.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


This. Time is a finite resource. Adding a 20-30 hour/week job to a 60-80 hour/week job doesn't just cut into one's fishing schedule. Something has got to give, even with exceptional delegation and planning. It becomes a very delicate balance. Can be very frustrating for spouses and children as they so often absorb the cutbacks the most. I've seen it many times before in far less demanding curcumstances. Also can be very rewarding, but everything comes at a price. Opportunity cost. Reminds me of the juggling analogy with the glass and rubber balls. Some you can let go by and they'll bounce back. Some, you cannot.



I hope for nothing but the best for doman, but from my armchair here in the living room, can't help but think he's playing against the odds here.
S
scott715
Why doesn't he call a third councilor to absorb the responsiblities? There was the time the first presidency had an extra one to assist. I think there might had been some age or health issues. If the Bishop can quickly get lots of inspiration on what to do, he can make this work with good councilors. However some things can not be delegated by the Bishop as he holds the keys.
C
Cougs_Rule
Schmoe wrote:
I'll tell you what I find strange: They asked my current bishop to resign as an athletic trainer for the football team when they called him as a bishop. It seems that afternoons/evenings and weekends are prime time for bishops to be working with ward members, making it VERY difficult to do both.


This is highly irregular AND I dare say, not the whole story.
C
Cougarbib
Schmoe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
I'll tell you what I find strange: They asked my current bishop to resign as an athletic trainer for the football team when they called him as a bishop. It seems that afternoons/evenings and weekends are prime time for bishops to be working with ward members, making it VERY difficult to do both.

In the interest of full disclosure - was athletic trainer his only job? Didn't think so.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


As far as I know, yes, and he's still job searching now.

But he will be working. In this job market, faith aside, I hope he waited to quit until after he finds a job.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.