Archived Topic

Football is fifth, where should it be?

by hawkwing · 8/6/2012

Advertisement
G
Guest
In light of recent events, and because there are a large number of fans who believe Bronco's biggest failing is that football is fifth I can't help but be curious as to where football should be on the priority list in your opinion.
L
Lawboy
As long as it is #1 during practice and on game day, ont really care if it is #10 overall.



That list is way overblown. Bronco explained it yet everyone ignores his explanation. It is becoming very tiresome.
C
Cougarbib
I am perfectly OK with the current priorities. But with all of the good citizenship, I think the city of Provo should hang Blue and White BYU Indepent and BYU WCC banners every 25 feet on every block of Center Street and Unuversity Avenue and University Parkway. Orem should do it too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jvquarterback
For all of the scholarship players it should be third behind faith and family. It is their means of providing for their families.



The community business is a load of bunk. And so is 95% of he so called education which is more like hoop jumping than education.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
The poll needs a none of the above option.
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
jvquarterback wrote:
For all of the scholarship players it should be third behind faith and family. It is their means of providing for their families.



The community business is a load of bunk. And so is 95% of he so called education which is more like hoop jumping than education.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yeah... Heaven forbid that most of the players have an education and degree to fall back on when the NFL doesn't work out.



Also, heaven forbid the players learn real world values by helping in the community, and serving the afflicted and less fortunate. :roll:
V
vancouvercougar
I attended the fireside in Oregon last year, and I had an opportunity to speak briefly to Bronco. I expressed my love for the team and BYU. I told Bronco how much I appreciated all of the good things that the BYU football team does and how those players are great examples. Bronco responded "none of that makes a difference if we don't win."



Even though football is 5th on the list, Bronco knows that winning makes firesides and player service more effective.
G
Guest
Great comments by nearly everyone on the topic so far, and exactly what I believe. Football is exactly where it is supposed to be at 5th on the list, because on game dame and during practice it is #1, for the rest of the time, it lands where it should.



I wish I had added a none of the above option, I guess those who feel it is where it should be shouldn't vote.
F
frdbtr
vancouvercougar wrote:
I attended the fireside in Oregon last year, and I had an opportunity to speak briefly to Bronco. I expressed my love for the team and BYU. I told Bronco how much I appreciated all of the good things that the BYU football team does and how those players are great examples. Bronco responded "none of that makes a difference if we don't win."



Even though football is 5th on the list, Bronco knows that winning makes firesides and player service more effective.




And this sums it up perfectly. Football is exactly where it should be on the priorties list. I get really sick of the whiners who come here and blame every loss on the "5th on the list priority". Sometimes losses are simply because the team had a bad day or heaven forbid, got beat by a better team.
S
Stirfry
scott715 wrote:
The poll needs a none of the above option.


+1 Most annoying gripe fans have.
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
It seems like the most vocal/ignorant people who voice dissent on "Football is 5th" are the idiot talking heads on the garbage we call Utah sports radio, and :utard: fans.



Any BYU fan who takes issue with Bronco's priority list doesn't understand the more important things in life.
G
Gunk
I take issue with it.



Guess that means I'm ignorant, a Ute troll, or some other blanket offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Since no one has actually voted yet, I've added a fifth option, that you agree football should be fifth priority. Maybe now we can actually get people voting.
F
frdbtr
Gunk wrote:
I take issue with it.



Guess that means I'm ignorant, a Ute troll, or some other blanket offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Ok, we still have 100% voted that football is exactly where it should be. I would like to hear from you which of those priorities should be below football?
B
BroncoBot
When you step back and look at the bigger picture it could be argued that 5th is too high. This reminds me of Stephen Covey's 4 areas of priority.....



1. High importance- high urgency

2. High importance- low urgency (most of what is in front of BYU football on Bronco's list)

3. Low importance- High urgency

4. Low priority- Low urgency (wasting time, what I'm doing right now :lol: )



http://cdn.sidsavara.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/merrillcoveymatrix.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



If BYU players constantly had football as #1 they would, in my mind, akin to wasting 4 years of their life. I believe 5th is about right, and at this time in their lives this should be in the high urgency/high importance category. But, if they are so caught up in football that they are ignoring the more important aspects of their lives (God, Family, progressing as an individual) they have football too high. This is one of the reasons I love BYU football.



I'd like to see where most fans have BYU football ranked in their own lives. It goes back to cougarbib2's theory that until fans are completely invested (I know that I have at least 10 things in front of BYU football in my life) BYU football won't be as good as it can be?
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Which of these did JoePa rank below football?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
frdbtr wrote:
I take issue with it.



Guess that means I'm ignorant, a Ute troll, or some other blanket offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Ok, we still have 100% voted that football is exactly where it should be. I would like to hear from you which of those priorities should be below football?


The options of the survey are loaded:



"Players should not be allowed to marry..."

"Football must become the religion..."

"School work should be done for the players..."

"Players shouldn't waste their time helping sick people..."



If the goal of the survey is to get an honest response from the populace than it should be written differently. As it's written now, it appears the goal of the survey is to make anyone with a differing opinion feel like an idiot. The survey serves only those that agree football should be 5th. Hence, all those that feel it should be higher up on the list are avoiding the survey like the plague.



The whole priority thing is an odd duck. Faith and family come first, right? Why then do I spend 10 hours a day at my job? Am I a bad father if I skip out on my daughter's preschool graduation because I have a meeting with the board? When the High Priest quorum president calls and asks if I can go give someone a blessing and I turn it down because I'm at work does that mean work is number 1 on my list? God will definitely take issue with me come judgement time as it appears I not only failed in the home but also failed at serving him... :~(



I know BYU is a special place. A place where prayers are said before math classes. A place where an eternal perspective is given prominence. That said, Bronco is a football coach, not a Sunday School teacher, marriage counselor, tutor, or community activist.



Assuming you went to BYU, did your math teacher ever get up and tell you that your math homework should come after you read your scriptures, call your mom, and serve food at the local shelter? Doubt it. Perhaps, depending on the professor, if there was a legit family emergency you got some extra time on a homework assignment. Not even a temple marriage (faith and family) got you a pass on an assignment...unless it was Marriage and Family Prep. That seems a bit odd doesn't it? A religious based school doesn't cut students some leniency for fulfilling religious duties? School takes precedent over faith? :bug: :skeptic:



When players walk into the gym or on the field it's football. If goals and assignments are given to players to achieve outside of practice (homework) those goals are to be achieved, no ifs ands or buts about it.



Problem is when Bronco gets up and talks to players about football being 5th, some players will interpret that to mean doing sit-ups comes after reading scriptures, going out on a date with the wife, doing homework, and volunteering at United Way if there is time left in the day. Summer workouts are to be ignored because picking out wedding invitations takes precedent.



There is a time and season for all things. Play ball, boys, as that time and season for football will soon end.
F
frdbtr
Gunk wrote:

The options of the survey are loaded:



"Players should not be allowed to marry..."

"Football must become the religion..."

"School work should be done for the players..."

"Players shouldn't waste their time helping sick people..."



If the goal of the survey is to get an honest response from the populace than it should be written differently. As it's written now, it appears the goal of the survey is to make anyone with a differing opinion feel like an idiot. The survey serves only those that agree football should be 5th. Hence, all those that feel it should be higher up on the list are avoiding the survey like the plague.



The whole priority thing is an odd duck. Faith and family come first, right? Why then do I spend 10 hours a day at my job? Am I a bad father if I skip out on my daughter's preschool graduation because I have a meeting with the board? When the High Priest quorum president calls and asks if I can go give someone a blessing and I turn it down because I'm at work does that mean work is number 1 on my list? God will definitely take issue with me come judgement time as it appears I not only failed in the home but also failed at serving him... :~(



I know BYU is a special place. A place where prayers are said before math classes. A place where an eternal perspective is given prominence. That said, Bronco is a football coach, not a Sunday School teacher, marriage counselor, tutor, or community activist.



Assuming you went to BYU, did your math teacher ever get up and tell you that your math homework should come after you read your scriptures, call your mom, and serve food at the local shelter? Doubt it. Perhaps, depending on the professor, if there was a legit family emergency you got some extra time on a homework assignment. Not even a temple marriage (faith and family) got you a pass on an assignment...unless it was Marriage and Family Prep. That seems a bit odd doesn't it? A religious based school doesn't cut students some leniency for fulfilling religious duties? School takes precedent over faith? :bug: :skeptic:



When players walk into the gym or on the field it's football. If goals and assignments are given to players to achieve outside of practice (homework) those goals are to be achieved, no ifs ands or buts about it.



Problem is when Bronco gets up and talks to players about football being 5th, some players will interpret that to mean doing sit-ups comes after reading scriptures, going out on a date with the wife, doing homework, and volunteering at United Way if there is time left in the day. Summer workouts are to be ignored because picking out wedding invitations takes precedent.



There is a time and season for all things. Play ball, boys, as that time and season for football will soon end.


The priority list stays the same, you answered the question on how it is managed in your explanation as to why you couldn't vote it where it is supposed to be.



Believe me, Bronco gives 100% to being BYU's head football coach, the same way you give 100% at your job, he also gives 100% to his family, faith, and the other priorities. But football can't be #1 on the priority list because then it would have your life completely out of balance and not only would you be a bad football coach because of it, you would be bad at everything else as well.
Y
YNot
Gunk wrote:
The whole priority thing is an odd duck. Faith and family come first, right? Why then do I spend 10 hours a day at my job? Am I a bad father if I skip out on my daughter's preschool graduation because I have a meeting with the board? When the High Priest quorum president calls and asks if I can go give someone a blessing and I turn it down because I'm at work does that mean work is number 1 on my list? God will definitely take issue with me come judgement time as it appears I not only failed in the home but also failed at serving him... :~(


Gunk wrote:
Problem is when Bronco gets up and talks to players about football being 5th, some players will interpret that to mean doing sit-ups comes after reading scriptures, going out on a date with the wife, doing homework, and volunteering at United Way if there is time left in the day. Summer workouts are to be ignored because picking out wedding invitations takes precedent.



There is a time and season for all things. Play ball, boys, as that time and season for football will soon end.




It is an odd duck. Great points, Gunk. But in camp, at practice, and during the season, I see no indication that Bronco is focused on anything other than football and winning any less than the math department head is focused on the math department. The great thing about BYU is that even though they fully expect practice and gameday and class time and testing center performance and execution, Bronco and the math teacher can and do encourage their players and students to read scriptures, attend church, go on date night, and serve at the retirement home.



No one holds an interpretation that team workouts are optional. It's a higher expectation. At BYU, players are expected to be more than football players....yes, but that doesn't mean they are not expected to be great football players. When it is time for workouts, workouts are mandatory and come before homework, date night, and scripture study...BUT when it's time for class, or family, or service, BYU football players are still expected to do their homework and gospel study, take care of family, and serve others. There are plenty of hours in the day and in the week for everything....but may be BYU football players can't spend as much time watching TV, playing video games, or doing drugs as most other Division I football players. But they are better for it.
K
KingCoug
The answer to this oft-debated issue can be found in my signature...





"Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing."





All the other things are great and come along for the ride, but this is football, and if you don't win in football, what else matters?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.