Archived Topic

guns. Guns. GUNS!

by BroncoBot · 8/3/2012

Advertisement
M
Mars
A stabbing spree in Utah was stopped the other day by one citizen with a gun.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:
A stabbing spree in Utah was stopped the other day by one citizen with a gun.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


And a guy in gun-free China went on a stabbing spree the other day and killed 9 people, and wounded a number more.



Apparently he tried to turn it into a mass-murder/suicide, but in gun-free China the suicide part is a bit tougher, and the armed police were able to stop him before he could get to the top of a building to jump off.



Seriously.





http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2506149&spid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
BoiseBYU
I recognize the right to bear arms. I do not think it is absolute any more than our first amendment rights are not subject to restriction and regulation. Thus, I support restriction of armored piercing bullets and assault rifles and tighter background checks of gun purchasers. I'm not trying to start a storm or anything but am interested in other's thoughts
G
Guest
Please define the term assault rifles, and why they should be banned.



I do not believe any non automatic rifles should be banned.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
hawkwing wrote:
Please define the term assault rifles, and why they should be banned.



I do not believe any non automatic rifles should be banned.


Well I have understood assault rifles to be automatic. Wikipedia speaks of them in those terms. Perhaps I err? The automatic nature of them pose to great a threat to cause great harm is why I support their ban. But some disagree and I don't understand why
G
Guest
Automatic rifles are already banned except in rare cases. I believe you likely are under a mistaken view caused by media sensationalism. There has never, to my knowledge been a deadly shooting in the united states by a lawfully obtained automatic rifle.
B
BoiseBYU
hawkwing wrote:
Automatic rifles are already banned except in rare cases. I believe you likely are under a mistaken view caused by media sensationalism. There has never, to my knowledge been a deadly shooting in the united states by a lawfully obtained automatic rifle.


I am glad they are banned. If my memory is close, when Congress passed the law banning these guns, there was strident opposition. I do not get that at all. I do note that some of these semi automatic weapons can be emptied in very very order. I do not think i am being sucked in by the sensationalism that surrounds the issue and hope you aren't either. BTW you have the best clip with Riley's high five.
G
Guest
BoiseBYU wrote:
Automatic rifles are already banned except in rare cases. I believe you likely are under a mistaken view caused by media sensationalism. There has never, to my knowledge been a deadly shooting in the united states by a lawfully obtained automatic rifle.


I am glad they are banned. If my memory is close, when Congress passed the law banning these guns, there was strident opposition. I do not get that at all. I do note that some of these semi automatic weapons can be emptied in very very order. I do not think i am being sucked in by the sensationalism that surrounds the issue and hope you aren't either. BTW you have the best clip with Riley's high five.


No disrespect intended in my previous comments about the media. I know you're one who always does a lot of research before coming down with an opinion.



I love the high 5 clip. Love Riley's moxie.
N
nuk13
Thanks Bbot for posting Sowell's article. I agree with it. If automatic weapons caused crimes committed with guns, then Switzerland would be one of the leaders in gun crimes in the world. It's as I heard once: a guy got his gun out, loaded it and set it on the table. He watched it for some time and it never did go off. I saw a talk show years ago where the host had T. Selleck on and was attacking him for believing in the 2nd amendment. She opined that the 2nd was written when there were muzzle loaders,but didn't fit today with automatics with high content magazines. My question is: Which is more dangerous, a person with a Browning .50 out shooting old wrecked cars in the desert, or someone with a loaded muzzle loader pointing it at you?



By the way, John Browning was a returned missionary. He firearms not only helped our troops in WWII, but most all the British and American aircraft that brought down the Luftwaffe were employing his guns. He played a huge part in our victory over Japan and Germany.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
nuk13 wrote:
Thanks Bbot for posting Sowell's article. I agree with it. If automatic weapons caused crimes committed with guns, then Switzerland would be one of the leaders in gun crimes in the world. It's as I heard once: a guy got his gun out, loaded it and set it on the table. He watched it for some time and it never did go off. I saw a talk show years ago where the host had T. Selleck on and was attacking him for believing in the 2nd amendment. She opined that the 2nd was written when there were muzzle loaders,but didn't fit today with automatics with high content magazines. My question is: Which is more dangerous, a person with a Browning .50 out shooting old wrecked cars in the desert, or someone with a loaded muzzle loader pointing it at you?



By the way, John Browning was a returned missionary. He firearms not only helped our troops in WWII, but most all the British and American aircraft that brought down the Luftwaffe were employing his guns. He played a huge part in our victory over Japan and Germany.

My wife comes from the Browning line. The Browning gun shop in Nauvoo (which sadly my wife didn't even know about) is my favorite attraction there. Sowell made a great point. It's not the guns that are the problem or certain other countries would have much higher murder/crime rates than ours. Loved his comparison of NY and London crime rates before and after strict gun "control" were enforced.
N
nuk13
There were cousins (Brownings) to your wife in Montana where I grew up. Gary told me his grandpa Jonathon, the father of John the famous one, invented the cylinder. I told him I thought that Colt had done but he said he'd gotten it from his grandpa. Later a non member fellow confirmed that fact. If you visit the Browning museum in Ogden you'll see a revolver rifle and it is very different from the Colt and Remington models. It is heaver built than either. He also had a slide action rifle that probably could have been very bad medicine for the mobs. That is way before the term "assault rifle" was coined but I doubt there were any better rifles any where in the world in the 1840s. The mobs probably would have whined loudly about them had Brother Joseph and Brother Browning decided to use them.



I loved the Browning blacksmith shop in Navaoo.
I
imuakahuku
One thing to bear in mind is the second ammendment was written to protect the people from a corrupt government in case the people have to "rise" up to re-establish a government for the people and by the people. Many try to teach "regulated" to mean government regulated but that is not what it means. It means a militia of the populace that is trained. And the 2nd ammendment has nothing to do with hunting. So any argument that this gun or that gun is not a hunting weapon is a red herring and a dishonest argument.



We should'nt be debating gun control, we should be debating "gun free zones".
B
BroncoBot
imuakahuku wrote:
One thing to bear in mind is the second ammendment was written to protect the people from a corrupt government in case the people have to "rise" up to re-establish a government for the people and by the people. Many try to teach "regulated" to mean government regulated but that is not what it means. It means a militia of the populace that is trained. And the 2nd ammendment has nothing to do with hunting. So any argument that this gun or that gun is not a hunting weapon is a red herring and a dishonest argument.



We should'nt be debating gun control, we should be debating "gun free zones".

"gun free zone"- so criminals know exactly where to attack?
M
Mars
BroncoBot wrote:
We should'nt be debating gun control, we should be debating "gun free zones".
"gun free zone"- so criminals know exactly where to attack?

There some places where it's never a good idea for law abiding citizens to have guns, like high schools, colleges, and movie theatres. Oh wait...
Advertisement
S
scott715
Prisom is gun free for citizens.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
imuakahuku wrote:
We should'nt be debating gun control, we should be debating "gun free zones".
"gun free zone"- so criminals know exactly where to attack?

There some places where it's never a good idea for law abiding citizens to have guns, like high schools, colleges, and movie theatres. Oh wait...

I always chuckled when I walked into the cafeteria at a hospital I just did a rotation at. It had a sticker on the door that said "NO WEAPONS ALLOWED!". I always felt so safe [insert sarcasm] after reading that and walking in.
N
nuk13
imuakahuku wrote:
One thing to bear in mind is the second ammendment was written to protect the people from a corrupt government in case the people have to "rise" up to re-establish a government for the people and by the people. Many try to teach "regulated" to mean government regulated but that is not what it means. It means a militia of the populace that is trained. And the 2nd ammendment has nothing to do with hunting. So any argument that this gun or that gun is not a hunting weapon is a red herring and a dishonest argument.



We should'nt be debating gun control, we should be debating "gun free zones".


Imuak, that is one of the best statements I have read on the 2nd amendment. I have to say tho, that there's a great deal of red herring swimming around.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.