Archived Topic

This is why I love BYU

by Cougarpoke · 8/3/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarpoke
I just got done reading an article about Riley Nelson and what he had done for a picked on 6th grader. I have loved BYU my entire life. The older I get, the more I realized there is much more to life than just sports and hating the pukes. This article explains what the church and what BYU athletes do to inspire and help people. GO COUGARS!!



http://byutv.org/seethegood/post/How-to-save-a-sixth-grader.aspx
U
Ungoy
Awesome story. Sounds very much like the Riley Nelson I met last Sunday. He stayed after and was talking to every kid that went up to see him. He was asking them everything about them, asking about mission aspirations, and being very cool to them. He took pictures with all of them.



I think there are many athletes who place themselves on a pedestal, and in situations like this field trip, or like the fireside I attended, they could sometimes just go though the motions, or bolt as soon as the event is over. Riley, and I think most BYU athletes in general have a different approach. Riley wasn't there for all the kids to tell him how great he is, he was there for them.



Fantastic story about someone who sees the bigger picture.
G
Guest
Great story and very indicative of the type of person that Riley Nelson is.
H
HoosierCougar
Yeah, but did he cut his hair? :crazy:
C
Cougarfan87
Great link. Thanks for posting.



In a day when I can hardly find anything worth watching on TV anymore I can always turn to BYU TV (thanks the the ROKU). My days of paying for filth are over. I'm glad they had this story on their webpage.



I always get a little choked up reading about those who touch the lives of others. Its nice to see just another example of what the BYU program and church are all about.
Advertisement
J
JamieVallen
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Great link. Thanks for posting.



In a day when I can hardly find anything worth watching on TV anymore I can always turn to BYU TV (thanks the the ROKU). My days of paying for filth are over. I'm glad they had this story on their webpage.



I always get a little choked up reading about those who touch the lives of others. Its nice to see just another example of what the BYU program and church are all about.

I am jealous of your roku... Neither apple tv, or my "smart" Samsung tv has the app for that. I can mirror the BYU app off my iPhone onto my apple tv, but it just looks kinda crappy...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CrimsonCoug
jmvcougar wrote:
Great link. Thanks for posting.



In a day when I can hardly find anything worth watching on TV anymore I can always turn to BYU TV (thanks the the ROKU). My days of paying for filth are over. I'm glad they had this story on their webpage.



I always get a little choked up reading about those who touch the lives of others. Its nice to see just another example of what the BYU program and church are all about.

I am jealous of your roku... Neither apple tv, or my "smart" Samsung tv has the app for that. I can mirror the BYU app off my iPhone onto my apple tv, but it just looks kinda crappy...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I LOVE my Roku. Best $100 I ever spent. (and it's a lot cheaper now). We've been without cable for a couple of years now and it's fantastic. The Roku channel for BYUTV is great--nice layout, great menu. Just wish that NBC would have pulled their heads out of their whatsits and allowed the online streaming of the Olympics to not require cable provider login. So, I finally paid $40 and got an antenna to plug to my HDTV to get the over-the-air NBC olympics; (Funny enough, given that I live outside Washington DC, NBC and Al Jazeera are the only two channels I get--but at least this way I get a front row seat to the Notre Dame game and Armegeddon). And thank goodness for ESPN 3, courtesy of my internet provider. Never had it so good as BYU sports fan.



Oh yeah, and nice article on Riley. The fact that he could single this kid out and spend 5 minutes with him when the kid didn't even know who he was speaks a lot to Riley's character. This and Bronco's Thursday's Heroes program really make BYU excellent.
E
EM_Puma
CrimsonCoug wrote:
(Funny enough, given that I live outside Washington DC, NBC and Al Jazeera are the only two channels I get--but at least this way I get a front row seat to the Notre Dame game and Armegeddon).


Classic!



Also, loved the article. Got a bit choked up though reading it, but I get emotional over road-kill too.
N
nogbody
jmvcougar wrote:
Great link. Thanks for posting.



In a day when I can hardly find anything worth watching on TV anymore I can always turn to BYU TV (thanks the the ROKU). My days of paying for filth are over. I'm glad they had this story on their webpage.



I always get a little choked up reading about those who touch the lives of others. Its nice to see just another example of what the BYU program and church are all about.

I am jealous of your roku... Neither apple tv, or my "smart" Samsung tv has the app for that. I can mirror the BYU app off my iPhone onto my apple tv, but it just looks kinda crappy...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


jmvcougar.... There's a way to watch BYUTv on your appletv. I've written a BYUTV app for xbmc which runs on a jailbroken apple-tv PM me if you are interested...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.