Archived Topic

Summer Offseason Training

by byucougar1 · 8/3/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Several reports indicate our Ol has slimmed down - lots of 308-315 weights instead of 330+.

They appear in better condition and ready to play - Bronco even stated they were further along in fitness level than he expected but are still needing improvement in consistency - maintaining fire every play. That is correctable.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Good.
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:
Good.

good indeed. Hopefully they find that fire. The more I watch football, the more I'm convinced the guys in the trenches make the LARGEST (no pun intended) difference when all is said and done. Strong O-Line (Wisconsin) = strong team.
B
byucougar1
Dominate line of scrimmage - control pace of game - wear out the defense.

I like he fact that the OL is now ready and invested in playing an up tempo game and not a plodding slow paced style. This will allow Doman to upgrade the difficulty of his O scheme and keep defenses off balance.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
I don't expect them weighing less to make them better. More than that would need to change for them to be better than they were last year which was mediocre.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
jonnylingo wrote:
I don't expect them weighing less to make them better. More than that would need to change for them to be better than they were last year which was mediocre.

You're right. The O-line should just give up. :roll:
S
scott715
They should be more mobile and if they replace fat with muscle, then stronger too. Maybe they will be able to pull guards on their running plays.
S
Schmoe
jonnylingo wrote:
I don't expect them weighing less to make them better. More than that would need to change for them to be better than they were last year which was mediocre.


Okay, but what if that weight drop is an indication of them being more athletic? Would THAT make them better?
B
byucougar1
Word is the nutritional fitness diet for the OL worked well and they improved on core strength coupled with speed/footwork. Interestingly enough, and it is only day 2, if you look at who was running with the first team, Mr. Hansen and Mr. Reynolds were with second team.
B
byucougar1
http://www.deseretnews.com/m/article/765594500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Article summaries what we all saw when Terrence Brown, Matt Reynolds, Travis Uale, Corby Eason showed up for Pro Day leaner, more muscular, faster, very agile. They had hired Dan Wilcox ( nutritionist) and API. Apparently Bronco inquired about them, interviewed them as did the coaching staff, and they implemented the program team wide. Interestingly this is what many on this board had preached beforehand, now it is reality and we have fruits to show the labor of hard work. Most the lineman are at or below 300 lbs.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
How much bikram yoga are they doing? I seem to remember reading on here that that was the key to greatness at any position at any level, and online commentary is never far off.
B
byucougar1
Better that they learn how to get into pretzel moves and become more limber than to have Riley get turned into a pretzel by the DL. Personally have trouble with some names of poses: Happy Baby, Upward Facing and/or Down Dog, Feathered Peacock...kind of funny images to picture an OL posing in yoga pants.
C
Cougs_Rule
Fruits?? I don't see any fruits. Show me the money Game day!! Maybe there are blossoms, but to declare fruit at this point is fruitless.

If they have gone from 330 to 315, that could be all lack of water retention at that size. At 230 and an aging fat guy, I can drop 10 pounds in two weeks on a restricted diet. That doesn't exactly make me more athletic of fast; and most importantly, aggressive and motivated on the field.

Blossoms are great and a welcomed sign, but I will believe it when I see it....in a game!
D
Dwight
I don't know what claims have been made about Bikram yoga, but I will say Kareem Abdul Jabbar's 20 years in the NBA without any muscle injuries may be counted as evidence of its benefits.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
kjjson
A couple of months ago I had heard that BYU had hired Dan, and I was excited to see what he would do. A yeah and a half ago I worked with him and I lost over 25 pounds of fat in the 12 week program I did. It was entirely focused on the individualized diet combined with exercise.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.