Archived Topic

Chambers Not Invited To Fall Camp

by Cougarbib · 8/2/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Not currently in good standing.



Perhaps a sad ending is becoming likely.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
4
49erCoug
I have mixed emotions about this... I was excited that he stuck it out through the turmoil.. but I wasn't set on him being a defensive back...
M
Mars


Bleepity bleep bleep.
T
trueblue72
The rollarcoaster that has been OC's career is done... too bad he fell short. I am with Po Po though, I wasn't really liking him at DB either but apparently he was going to contribute. Too bad!
G
Guest
I'm a big fan of O'neil and his family. So this is very heavy, sad news for me. I really think he would have been a benefit to the team.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Trying to figure out what Bronco means by "currently not in good standing with the program".



First off, the currently. does that means he could be in a couple of days, or a week? Or when school starts again?



Next, why state not in good standing with program?? Makes me think not HC or grades related, but Bronco discipline related.



WOndering what happened between spring ball and now to cause this.



Anyone have any ideas?
S
Stirfry
Serious bummer. I really liked O'Neil and was looking forward to more "honk if you ran in to O'Neil Chamber's" bumper stickers this year after the Ute game.
H
HoosierCougar
Color me bummed!



I was looking to maybe see him as a leader on Special Teams... an inspiring story of self-mastery and perseverance in the face of adversity.



I'm hoping that until there's a Bron-quote saying he is no longer a part of the program, there's a chance (slim as it may be) that he makes whatever resolutions is necessary and participates in 2012.
F
frdbtr
I read a tweet from wrubell I think that said that they were already giving his scholorship to someone else. I think he is done. I am also pretty bummed by this.
C
CrimsonCoug
Wrubell said in his chat yesterday that except potentially for Special Teams, he didn't see Chambers making it onto the field much, though he would put up a good fight to get into the 2-deep. If so, this may not matter so much on the field.



It matters a lot, though, to O' and his family, I'm sure. Very sorry for them that it turned out this way. I trust Bronco, and I know he runs a very high caliber program with ideals that are difficult to live up to, and he has to keep those standards and should keep those standards. Just very sorry for the Chambers crew that it didn't work out the way we all, ALL--including (especially) Bronco--were hoping.
Advertisement
M
Mars


Short of Chambers killing 5 hookers, can't you just run him through his senior year and then hold him up as a success story? This, to me, is almost as bad as cutting a cancer survivor from your basketball team.
B
byucougar1
Coach Mendenhall indicated Chambers is not currently in good standing with the program.



I read this statement as he needs to do some corrective measures to get back in good standing - could be grades, etc. but he was not kicked off the team - disciplInary action. If something drastic happened, he would be removed from the team. Appears there is still a chance to return but will be behind the eight ball not being able to practice.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CrimsonCoug
Mars wrote:


Short of Chambers killing 5 hookers, can't you just run him through his senior year and then hold him up as a success story? This, to me, is almost as bad as cutting a cancer survivor from your basketball team.


Wouldn't it be disingenuous to hold him up as a success story if his behavior doesn't put him in good standing with the team? That hypocricy would wipe out any 'feel good' gains. O's been given a short leash but a lot of chances. I'm hoping he still has one last 'last chance'.
S
Stirfry
byucougar1 wrote:
Coach Mendenhall indicated Chambers is not currently in good standing with the program.



I read this statement as he needs to do some corrective measures to get back in good standing - could be grades, etc. but he was not kicked off the team - disciplInary action. If something drastic happened, he would be removed from the team. Appears there is still a chance to return but will be behind the eight ball not being able to practice.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


This is how I interpreted it as well but the reporters talk as if it's the end of the road. It seems like there's a missing step that is either not being reported or the reporters are jumping the gun to say he's done.
A
ABYUFAN
Mars wrote:


Short of Chambers killing 5 hookers, can't you just run him through his senior year and then hold him up as a success story? This, to me, is almost as bad as cutting a cancer survivor from your basketball team.


It might be bad, but it’s not even close to the same level as the all-time ...bone-headedness... head-up-your-kiester move of cutting a senior cancer survivor from your moderately successful team that could use a feel good story, not a gut punch... but you're too stupid of a Ute to see how inconceivably dumb this is move that we saw this summer.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Never liked the guy and could never stand the hype heaped upon him due to his race and hometown. He was not a producer and was a fumble bum. I know we all love a 2nd chance story but some apples are just bad.
J
jonnylingo
mizzoucoug wrote:
Never liked the guy and could never stand the hype heaped upon him due to his race and hometown. He was not a producer and was a fumble bum. I know we all love a 2nd chance story but some apples are just bad.


This is ridiculous. Chambers is not a bad apple. And he was a producer. He is one of BYU's best kick returners and, in my opinion, we lose to utah in 2009 without him. give him a break. from most indication he has kept himself in shape and doen all the coaches asked of him this whole year which says alot. i think it is probably grades.
S
stuckinbig10country
This is why if you have a falling out with the coach or team, it might just be best to transfer. Even if you try hard, sometimes there are things you just can't get past.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
stuckinbig10country wrote:
This is why if you have a falling out with the coach or team, it might just be best to transfer. Even if you try hard, sometimes there are things you just can't get past.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I'm confident that Bronco didn't string OC along just to shut him down at the last minute. Somehow OC once again ended up in the doghouse and will not be participating with the football team. Good luck with life OC!
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.