Archived Topic

Maybe Quezada has a legitimate gripe about playing time

by Y12 · 7/30/2012

Advertisement
Y
Y12
I am not accusing Q of anything. But, I went back and looked at his stats last year, and he was doing better than I remember.



@Ole Miss 4 14 3.5

@Texas 5 7 1.4

Utah 5 7 1.4

UCF 9 26 2.9

Utah State 10 41 4.1

San Jose State 9 47 5.2

@Oregon State 3 26 8.7



As we all know, SJSU is when Alisa broke on to the scene. What we don't remember is Q having a 5.2 average on 9 carries, and it being his third game in a row increasing his YPC. He had a decent game the week before against Utah State (4.1 YPC).



All of a sudden, his carries sank because Alisa had one big game. It didn't matter than he was showing signs of improvement, or that the next game he averaged 8.7 yards per carry.
J
jonnylingo
How dare you question the coaches!



Who knows what really happened.
S
scott715
What were the stats for the rest of the games?
G
Guest
By all accounts, Quezada struggled and had a mediocre year last year. As you know I kept track of the RBER for the year.



Quezada on the season was 51.3. Compare that to Alisa who is at 86.15. Remember that a 100 score is what we consider to be an efficient runner.
W
Wickchad
How many more yards would Quezada have if he didn't hit the hole already leaning forward and falling down? That was my one biggest gripe about Quezada. He seems to assume that every time he went though the line he was going to be tackled. Many times he essentially tackled himself because he was already going down before a defender even got a hold of him.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Who doomed Q is that he got hurt in Fall camp last year and took most of hte year to rehab it. Add to it that reps went mostly to the 2 seniors (JJ, Kariya) and then Alisa burst onto the scene as teh 3rd back, and in some cases, the first back. That put Q at #4 last year, and most likely #2 this year. HE would still have gotten 10 carries a game this year, but perhaps he wanted 20, which was not going to happen.



HE is a very good back with skill, but not an elite back.
G
Gunk
Don't forget the impact induced migraines Q was suffering from all last season.



With two senior RBs and emerging Alisa and frequent migraines Q really has no place complaining about PT.
C
Cougarbib
scott715 wrote:
What were the stats for the rest of the games?

This. I totally agree. It really pisses me off when someone posts part of the story and try's to leave an inaccurate impression.



Obviously he had more carries. And iirc, they were not amazing.



I think the more compelling statement if someone wants to whine about his reduced reps is that iirc, The New Kid In Town had one or two breakout games and then started to look about the same as all of the other guys.



I am surprised someone has not tried to blame the whole thing on JJ being a bad example of how to deal with adversity.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
By all accounts, Quezada struggled and had a mediocre year last year. As you know I kept track of the RBER for the year. Quezada on the season was 51.3. Compare that to Alisa who is at 86.15. Remember that a 100 score is what we consider to be an efficient runner.

What were the other RBs?
C
Cougarbib
Mars wrote:
By all accounts, Quezada struggled and had a mediocre year last year. As you know I kept track of the RBER for the year. Quezada on the season was 51.3. Compare that to Alisa who is at 86.15. Remember that a 100 score is what we consider to be an efficient runner.

What were the other RBs?

They were serviceable, like Alisa. But not great. One was used often in short yardage situations. Not sure how that affected the calc.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Quezada after Oregon St:

vs Idaho St: 11 for 59 1TD

vs TCU: 4 for 5

vs Idaho: 10 for 12

vs NMST: 3 for 24

vs Hawaii: 4 for 6

vs Tulsa: 9 for 24
C
Cougarfan87
SpiffCoug wrote:
Quezada after Oregon St:

vs Idaho St: 11 for 59 1TD

vs TCU: 4 for 5

vs Idaho: 10 for 12

vs NMST: 3 for 24

vs Hawaii: 4 for 6

vs Tulsa: 9 for 24


Those are not great numbers. Versus TCU he rushed 4 times and got a whole 5 yards. That means a bunch of no gainers and maybe one or two short gains. Now, I get that TCU had a crazy fast defense, so we can cut him some slack there. But against Idaho, he did essentially the same thing. Idaho. You know, the Vandals. Idaho. I think TCU, Idaho, and Hawaii are forever burned in my brain because I remember a lot of no-gainers. Granted a lot of that was the O-line's fault, but the other backs seemed to be a little more adept at picking up yards after contact. But we really haven't had a true good RB since Unga. Diluigi was good for catching the ball, and had nice plays in space, but was not good picking up yards after contact.
S
snoscythe
I don't have a problem with 3rd or 4th string upperclassmen with injury histories transferring out to get more playing time elsewhere. I'd rather 3rd and 4th string spots go to developing underclassmen into future 1st and 2nd stringers.
G
Guest
Season RBER:



B. Kariya: 109.51

M. Alisa: 87.93

JJ DiLuigi: 77.54

J. Quezada: 56.90



David Foote: 146.63 *

* Does not qualify with not enough carries **

** Note correct usage of an asterisk.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Season RBER:



B. Kariya: 109.51

M. Alisa: 87.93

JJ DiLuigi: 77.54

J. Quezada: 56.90



David Foote: 146.63 *

* Does not qualify with not enough carries **

** Note correct usage of an asterisk.

Totally agree with that usage - marking an accomplishment that some would want to argue is worth less than the surface value due to some perception that it was not fully proven due to when, where, how often, or other circumstances.



But - hey - I like the guy and I'll take the 146 and the .63 - it gives me hope for the future.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Guest
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Season RBER:



B. Kariya: 109.51

M. Alisa: 87.93

JJ DiLuigi: 77.54

J. Quezada: 56.90



David Foote: 146.63 *

* Does not qualify with not enough carries **

** Note correct usage of an asterisk.

Totally agree with that usage - marking an accomplishment that some would want to argue is worth less than the surface value due to some perception that it was not fully proven due to when, where, how often, or other circumstances.



But - hey - I like the guy and I'll take the 146 and the .63 - it gives me hope for the future.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Fail.
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
I don't have a problem with 3rd or 4th string upperclassmen with injury histories transferring out to get more playing time elsewhere. I'd rather 3rd and 4th string spots go to developing underclassmen into future 1st and 2nd stringers.

Q was our 2nd-string at RB coming into this season. He was also our 2nd-string RB going into last season. And it means that we lose our Top 3 RBs from Game 1 of last season.



I mean, come on, seriously, Q's talent was the reason Hague got moved from RB to DB. I don't like to see his talent underplayed. People are happy that our #2 RB is leaving, but our #3, #4, #5, #6 RBs are staying? Yeah, fans are smart.
G
golong
Did anyone ever report where Q transferred to? I never saw it.
M
Mars
golong wrote:
Did anyone ever report where Q transferred to? I never saw it.

No announcement yet. Contacting Washington, Utah, and Hawaii last I heard.
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:
I don't have a problem with 3rd or 4th string upperclassmen with injury histories transferring out to get more playing time elsewhere. I'd rather 3rd and 4th string spots go to developing underclassmen into future 1st and 2nd stringers.

Q was our 2nd-string at RB coming into this season.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but if he's behind Pritchard and Alisa, that puts him at least at 3rd string, no? Yes, he was our #2 going into last season, but only because of the Pritchard injury in Fall Camp--otherwise he would have been #3 behind DiLuigi and Pritchard last season as well. Depending on where you slot Lasike and/or Timo/Hine, Quezada was buried coming out of Spring, not 2nd string. All of that is before you even get into supposition as to whether he's gotten past the migraines or not.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.