Archived Topic

Mediocrity

by ByuIcoug · 7/30/2012

Advertisement
B
ByuIcoug
I don't post much but read daily. In the past few months it’s been interesting for me to read the desire for us to play a cupcake schedule with one or two lower end BCS and hide behind the 10 win plateau that somehow makes us relevant in the world of college football. It has been shown that the way to get respect in college football is to win against quality opponents and that how BYU became so successful over the years. Last year was a failure; we lost to every good team we played. When I heard the news we were playing Wisconsin in November at Camp Randall it seemed liked most of the posts were complaining either about how tough the schedule the is or not having a 1 for 1 agreement. I am thrilled that we even have the chance to play up there. I showed my wife the video of the jump around and now she wants to go so I am planning to be there next year. I am thrilled the way TH has scheduled next year. We have 29 seniors with maybe the best defense in BYU history, we need to get our swagger back and expect greatness and not just behind a 10 win season.
S
scott715
2013 those seniors are gone, we'll have a freshman QB and it will be very difficult. If we can get to a bowl game that should be a good season.
D
Ddawg
This year is it. The 2012 BYU Football season is "the one." After this year, we lose a truck load of seniors and Riley Nelson. Out defense is fantastic - now. This is not a building hear, this year is the end product. This will be a special year. I really believe that.
S
SpiffCoug
This year is always IT. If you're going to make a run, it has to be THIS year. Who knows what the future will hold. Too many BYU fans the last few years have been looking to the future and ignoring the season in front of us.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
This year is always IT. If you're going to make a run, it has to be THIS year. Who knows what the future will hold. Too many BYU fans the last few years have been looking to the future and ignoring the season in front of us.


This.
Advertisement
F
Florwood
I'm sensing the theme song for football this year...



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WflkuBweSYo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



This is it.

Make no mistake where you are.

This is it.

Your back's to the corner.

This is it.

Don't be a fool anymore.

This is it.



The waiting is over, no, don't you run.

No way to hide.

No time for wonderin' why.

It's here, the moment is now, about to decide.
B
byucougar1
Meow? :lol:
G
Guest
This is it.

Make no mistake where you are.

This is it.

Your back's to the corner. (the Cougar Corner)

This is it.

Don't be a fool anymore.

This is it.
L
Lawboy
I think the team will be really good in 2013, but inexperience at QB will be an issue (hello BSU 2012). You can never assume a smooth QB transition. Not ever.



So for now, BYU has to make a big run in 2012. 1 loss or fewer and BCS could happen. Could.
A
ABYUFAN
hawkwing wrote:
This is it.

Make no mistake where you are.

This is it.

Your back's to the corner. (the Cougar Corner)

This is it.

Don't be a fool anymore.

This is it.

Hey - it's Michael McDonald! - you're dating yourself with this song choice :bug:
Advertisement
M
Mars


BYU hopes to go 11-2 in 2012, in a nearly-best case scenario.



I think BYU fans in general would be ecstatic to go 9-5 in 2013, assuming a 13th game and a bowl.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:


BYU hopes to go 11-2 in 2012, in a nearly-best case scenario.



I think BYU fans in general would be ecstatic to go 9-5 in 2013, assuming a 13th game and a bowl.

9 wins in 2013 would indeed be very good.



I think 11 wins in 2012 would be a great season.
S
stuckinbig10country
I think it's very possible that next year's team could be better than this years team, if the QB works out, and still end up with a 7-6 or 8-5 record. Then again, we could be a 4 or 5 loss team this year. Looking forward with hope that Nelson can perform against good teams (he was 0-1, and looked awful, against the only good team he started against last year-I still don't know why TCU pulled back on the reigns in the second half, very un-Patterson like).
C
Cougarbib
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I think it's very possible that next year's team could be better than this years team, if the QB works out, and still end up with a 7-6 or 8-5 record. Then again, we could be a 4 or 5 loss team this year. Looking forward with hope that Nelson can perform against good teams (he was 0-1, and looked awful, against the only good team he started against last year-I still don't know why TCU pulled back on the reigns in the second half, very un-Patterson like).

Nelson is not why BYU lost this game. First - TCU was a better team. Second - Special teams meltdowns created a hole too big for anyone to dig out of.



And yes - in the attempt to make plays and dig out, Nelson forced some plays and dug the hole deeper at times.



And yet - BYU still made the game interesting.



Did I mention that for all practical purposes, this was a home game for TCU.



Yes - Nelson fell short. Special teams fell shorter. Whomever scheduled this 1 and done fell even shorter. Wouldn't it be nice to have a reloading TCU team come to Provo this year - but no.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I think it's very possible that next year's team could be better than this years team, if the QB works out, and still end up with a 7-6 or 8-5 record. Then again, we could be a 4 or 5 loss team this year. Looking forward with hope that Nelson can perform against good teams (he was 0-1, and looked awful, against the only good team he started against last year-I still don't know why TCU pulled back on the reigns in the second half, very un-Patterson like).

You'll be very hard pressed to convince me a 7- or 8-win team is better than a team that wins 10 or 11 games this year.



Eventually, you are what your results show you are.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.