Archived Topic

In Search of TE U!

by byucougar1 · 7/19/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
http://deepshadesofblue.com/byu-still-searching-for-answers-at-tight-end/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DeepShadesOfBlue+%28Deep+Shades+of+Blue%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Based upon recuperation projections for our TEs (Mahina, Holt, Wilson), it appears that K. Friel and M. Matthews might have a leg up on the others. If Friel can demonstrate that he can catch the ball on a regular basis, I believe that he will be a big target/big asset this year. I see Matthews continuing in his role as a flex TE jut due to light weight issue and lack of true blocking skills These guys can become an integral part of the passing game if they can continue to get open and latch onto the passes. Riley has shown a disposition to spread the wealth if players can produce and yield fruit.
M
mizzoucoug
I've heard about our 5 awesome TE's for 3 years now. I just want 1 who can actually play. Enough talk!
C
Cougarbib
mizzoucoug wrote:
I've heard about our 5 awesome TE's for 3 years now. I just want 1 who can actually play. Enough talk!

This.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
First year, no one emphasized/taught them how to catch (Anae released - enter Reynolds).

Second year, Heaps didn't throw to TE - Riley began to utilize them more. However, we also lost 3 of them to significant injury during the season and were playing 4th string (Friel) and a flex TE (Matthews).

Third year - expect better performance with all apparently on the mend and healthy and supposedly a vital part of the offense.
S
SpiffCoug
One thing that would help our TEs is for our QBs to actually LOOK for our TEs.



In 2009, George and Pitta CAUGHT 91 passes. In 2008, they caught 105.



In 2010, Holt, Muehlmann, Mahina, Matthews and Wilson were TARGETED a total of 57 times. In 2011, Friel, Holt, Matthews and Wilson were targeted 89 times.



I don't have the targets for Pitta and Geore in 2008 or 2009 as my RER doesn't go back that far yet. But in the last two years, our TEs have had 50 (FIFTY!) fewer pass attempts than the two previous years had pass receptions.



Our QBs need to start LOOKING for the TE!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.