Archived Topic

And another 2 for 1

by stuckinbig10country · 7/17/2012

Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
I'll believe it when I see it. Their source is from a year ago. Not sure where they're getting the three game series part of it.
A
ABYUFAN
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Being Independent is awesome :roll:



http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/53283/plenty-of-b1g-pac-12-matchups-still-on-tap



The ESPN deal is crap if it can't provide home and home games with teams like Wisc, Ole Miss, Michigan, etc.

I believe that that the Big 10 has no byes in their scheduling. So if the game against Bucky is for a home and home at the conclusion of the Big 10 schedule with a neutral site game thrown in for good measure, I'd totally go for that
S
snoscythe
Wow. Somebody's glass if half empty. All they say is a three-game series--BYU has been, with the help of ESPN looking for 1-1-1 deals with an ESPN banner neutral-site game. Your pessimism is leading you to unsubstantiated conclusions.
B
BroncoBot
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Being Independent is awesome :roll:

And the alternative is...?????
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
Wow. Somebody's glass if half empty. All they say is a three-game series--BYU has been, with the help of ESPN looking for 1-1-1 deals with an ESPN banner neutral-site game. Your pessimism is leading you to unsubstantiated conclusions.


Unsubstantiated conclusions. Well - sure. I guess so. Definitely not unwarranted conclusions.

Have any of those neutral sites actually been neutral? TCU in the same stadium they had practiced in. Not that one. Okie in Dallas. Better - but hardly neutral. I am sure am forgetting one. So far the 1-1-1 have been face saving avoidance of 2-1. Then 1-0 at Ole Miss. Almost lost to a very mediocre, at best, team. 2-1 Texas. 4-2 ND. Not a good idea. Just Say No.



Now if we can get 1-1-1 with Bucky The Badger with the neutral game in The Rice Paddy or Jack Murphy - bring it. Bronco Stadium - sure - neutral. Bring it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
Here is something of note with regard to Wisconsin....they do home and home deals with UNLV, where they go to Vegas first. Now if the neutral game is at Univ of Phoenix Stadium in Arizona or Sam Boyd Stadium in Vegas (there are a disproportionate number of Wisconsin alum in NV and AZ for some reason) then it actually would be nice.



As far as what would be better than independence, obviously the big conferences would be better, but they aren't asking right now. The Big East would probably still take us.



I guess my real frustration is this: Tom Holmoe has been the AD for going on 8 years. In that time, outside of Pac 12 teams, there have been no games against AQ conference teams or Notre Dame played in LES that were signed by him. His first such team will come next year in Texas (and then GT later in the year). GT is his only home and home type arrangement, and they backed out of two years of the deal. Our deal with Notre Dame could include BYU playing at South Bend 3 times before they come to Provo (6 game deal over I believe an 8 year time frame-play @Notre Dame in '12 and '13, a year or 2 off, then back to ND in '15, Provo '16, ND '18, Provo '19).



The next part of my frustration is we keep hearing all the wonderful things that the ESPN deal will bring, and I just haven't seen that part of it yet. 2 for 1, 1 and done, 1-1-1 (unless it's a truly neutral site) and non neutral "neutral" site deals are a slow march to irrelevancy (unless we're already there, which we might be) and in the end just aren't good deals.
M
Mingjai
I bet BYU's "neutral" field game with Bucky is at Soldier or Lambeau Field. Or if the Badgers wanted to be really blasé, they'd schedule the game in the Vikings new football stadium at the same time as a Gophers home game just to prove Bucky can outdraw the Goldy in his own backyard!
Y
YNot
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I guess my real frustration is this: Tom Holmoe has been the AD for going on 8 years. In that time, outside of Pac 12 teams, there have been no games against AQ conference teams or Notre Dame played in LES that were signed by him. His first such team will come next year in Texas (and then GT later in the year). GT is his only home and home type arrangement, and they backed out of two years of the deal. Our deal with Notre Dame could include BYU playing at South Bend 3 times before they come to Provo (6 game deal over I believe an 8 year time frame-play @Notre Dame in '12 and '13, a year or 2 off, then back to ND in '15, Provo '16, ND '18, Provo '19).


I believe TH has brought in plenty of AQ conference teams on a home-home basis:



Washington - '08-'10

Florida State - '09-'10

Oregon State - '11-'12

Georgia Tech - '12-'13

Washington St. - '12-'13

Utah - '11-'12, '13-'16



Plus, he got us to play in the VERY FIRST EVER college football game played at Cowboy Stadium in Arlington against a perennial top-10 Oklahoma team. He has put together long term deals with Boise State and Hawaii that excite the fan base and a 1-2 (or is it 1-3) with Utah State.



Even the 2-1 versus Texas and 4-2 with Notre Dame bring two of the most prestigious football teams in America to Provo.
M
Mingjai
YNot wrote:
I guess my real frustration is this: Tom Holmoe has been the AD for going on 8 years. In that time, outside of Pac 12 teams, there have been no games against AQ conference teams or Notre Dame played in LES that were signed by him. His first such team will come next year in Texas (and then GT later in the year). GT is his only home and home type arrangement, and they backed out of two years of the deal. Our deal with Notre Dame could include BYU playing at South Bend 3 times before they come to Provo (6 game deal over I believe an 8 year time frame-play @Notre Dame in '12 and '13, a year or 2 off, then back to ND in '15, Provo '16, ND '18, Provo '19).


I believe TH has brought in plenty of AQ conference teams on a home-home basis:



Washington - '08-'10

Florida State - '09-'10

Oregon State - '11-'12

Georgia Tech - '12-'13

Washington St. - '12-'13

Utah - '11-'12, '13-'16


Anyone know about Florida State? Holmoe or Hale? It was scheduled at least as early as Oct 2006: http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=2185523
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Mingjai wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I guess my real frustration is this: Tom Holmoe has been the AD for going on 8 years. In that time, outside of Pac 12 teams, there have been no games against AQ conference teams or Notre Dame played in LES that were signed by him. His first such team will come next year in Texas (and then GT later in the year). GT is his only home and home type arrangement, and they backed out of two years of the deal. Our deal with Notre Dame could include BYU playing at South Bend 3 times before they come to Provo (6 game deal over I believe an 8 year time frame-play @Notre Dame in '12 and '13, a year or 2 off, then back to ND in '15, Provo '16, ND '18, Provo '19).


I believe TH has brought in plenty of AQ conference teams on a home-home basis:



Washington - '08-'10

Florida State - '09-'10

Oregon State - '11-'12

Georgia Tech - '12-'13

Washington St. - '12-'13

Utah - '11-'12, '13-'16


Anyone know about Florida State? Holmoe or Hale? It was scheduled at least as early as Oct 2006: http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=2185523

I thought Holmoe was hired shortly after Crowton was fired, Cleveland left and Bronco and Rose were hired. This was either in or before 2005 and certainly before Oct 2006. I could be wrong though.
W
Wickchad
Mingjai wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I guess my real frustration is this: Tom Holmoe has been the AD for going on 8 years. In that time, outside of Pac 12 teams, there have been no games against AQ conference teams or Notre Dame played in LES that were signed by him. His first such team will come next year in Texas (and then GT later in the year). GT is his only home and home type arrangement, and they backed out of two years of the deal. Our deal with Notre Dame could include BYU playing at South Bend 3 times before they come to Provo (6 game deal over I believe an 8 year time frame-play @Notre Dame in '12 and '13, a year or 2 off, then back to ND in '15, Provo '16, ND '18, Provo '19).


I believe TH has brought in plenty of AQ conference teams on a home-home basis:



Washington - '08-'10

Florida State - '09-'10

Oregon State - '11-'12

Georgia Tech - '12-'13

Washington St. - '12-'13

Utah - '11-'12, '13-'16


Anyone know about Florida State? Holmoe or Hale? It was scheduled at least as early as Oct 2006: http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=2185523


LaVell Edwards was still the coach when the Florida State series was scheduled. That series as scheduled 10 years in advance.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
YNot wrote:
I guess my real frustration is this: Tom Holmoe has been the AD for going on 8 years. In that time, outside of Pac 12 teams, there have been no games against AQ conference teams or Notre Dame played in LES that were signed by him. His first such team will come next year in Texas (and then GT later in the year). GT is his only home and home type arrangement, and they backed out of two years of the deal. Our deal with Notre Dame could include BYU playing at South Bend 3 times before they come to Provo (6 game deal over I believe an 8 year time frame-play @Notre Dame in '12 and '13, a year or 2 off, then back to ND in '15, Provo '16, ND '18, Provo '19).


I believe TH has brought in plenty of AQ conference teams on a home-home basis:



Washington - '08-'10

Florida State - '09-'10

Oregon State - '11-'12

Georgia Tech - '12-'13

Washington St. - '12-'13

Utah - '11-'12, '13-'16


Anyone know about Florida State? Holmoe or Hale? It was scheduled at least as early as Oct 2006: http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=2185523

I thought Holmoe was hired shortly after Crowton was fired, Cleveland left and Bronco and Rose were hired. This was either in or before 2005 and certainly before Oct 2006. I could be wrong though.


I forget the exact timing, but a relative of mine by marriage - and 4 other individuals were acting as The Office of The AD for a period of time before TH ascended to the throne.
A
ABYUFAN
Mingjai wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I guess my real frustration is this: Tom Holmoe has been the AD for going on 8 years. In that time, outside of Pac 12 teams, there have been no games against AQ conference teams or Notre Dame played in LES that were signed by him. His first such team will come next year in Texas (and then GT later in the year). GT is his only home and home type arrangement, and they backed out of two years of the deal. Our deal with Notre Dame could include BYU playing at South Bend 3 times before they come to Provo (6 game deal over I believe an 8 year time frame-play @Notre Dame in '12 and '13, a year or 2 off, then back to ND in '15, Provo '16, ND '18, Provo '19).


I believe TH has brought in plenty of AQ conference teams on a home-home basis:



Washington - '08-'10

Florida State - '09-'10

Oregon State - '11-'12

Georgia Tech - '12-'13

Washington St. - '12-'13

Utah - '11-'12, '13-'16


Anyone know about Florida State? Holmoe or Hale? It was scheduled at least as early as Oct 2006: http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=2185523

So in your mind he's punished for NOT bringing in BCS teams, when we have BCS teams already on the schedule and a full conference schedule to play.... WOW I feel bad for your kids, they probably can never win....
L
Lawboy
This is not a 2 for 1. It will be a H-H-N. Places I have heard for hte neutral are either Chicago soldier Field or Cowboys Stadium in Dallas. THis is one of the series I posted about last week.



Basically, BYU will start 2013 in Madison WIsconsin with a new QB, a new DLine, new ILBs and and I beleive they come to Provo for 2014. Not sure on Neutral yet.



2013 schedule keeps getting more brutal. But I think that type of tough slate of games will really get teh team and its young guys seasoned for 2014 and beyond.
Advertisement
Y
YNot
Lawboy wrote:
This is not a 2 for 1. It will be a H-H-N. Places I have heard for hte neutral are either Chicago soldier Field or Cowboys Stadium in Dallas. THis is one of the series I posted about last week.



Basically, BYU will start 2013 in Madison WIsconsin with a new QB, a new DLine, new ILBs and and I beleive they come to Provo for 2014. Not sure on Neutral yet.



2013 schedule keeps getting more brutal. But I think that type of tough slate of games will really get teh team and its young guys seasoned for 2014 and beyond.


I am bracing myself for the backlash of comments and complaints that are sure to follow the announcement of the Wisconsin deal. "TH is going to ruin BYU football by over-scheduling quality opponents!"



I think the H-H-N with Wisconsin will be great! Can't wait for the details.
B
byucougar1
SOS = increased respect = increased fan interest = increased recruiting advantage = increased exposure = improved program



Brutal schedule in 2013 will help to determine where BYU stands with respect to other programs - and help gain legitimacy. Remember BSU became well know because they would play anyone at anytime - didn't back down for playing great teams at their place. It has done wonders for their program.



We need to do the same thing and that is demonstrate that we can play with the big boys. For a while, we will have to do 2-1s as we are just gaining exposure and respect. Now that we will be on the big stage, and if we win, we will be able to command more H-H games. Remember, it is just 2nd year of Independence, and in year 3 - we have a very daunting schedule that is every bit as difficult as most teams in the country. Couple this with ESPN coverage, and you have recruits and teams excited for the opportunity to play for us and against us. I see it as a W-W situation even if we have to take our lumps - in the long run it pays great dividends.
S
snoscythe
I can't believe people are complaining about neutral site games at Cowboys Stadium against TCU and Oklahoma. I'm sure they'll complain about a neutral site game at Soldier Field as well.
C
Cougarbib
byucougar1 wrote:
SOS = increased respect = increased fan interest = increased recruiting advantage = increased exposure = improved program



Brutal schedule in 2013 will help to determine where BYU stands with respect to other programs - and help gain legitimacy. Remember BSU became well know because they would play anyone at anytime - didn't back down for playing great teams at their place. It has done wonders for their program.



We need to do the same thing and that is demonstrate that we can play with the big boys. For a while, we will have to do 2-1s as we are just gaining exposure and respect. Now that we will be on the big stage, and if we win, we will be able to command more H-H games. Remember, it is just 2nd year of Independence, and in year 3 - we have a very daunting schedule that is every bit as difficult as most teams in the country. Couple this with ESPN coverage, and you have recruits and teams excited for the opportunity to play for us and against us. I see it as a W-W situation even if we have to take our lumps - in the long run it pays great dividends.




BSU and anyone / anywhere is way overblown. They did do it about once every other year briefly. I.e about twice. And they won. The Bibster will go on record right here and now without even bothering to go look it up - and state this fact.



BSU has never, ever, ever, ever, ever, i.e. absolutely never played a regular season schedule that even remotely resembled the 2013 BYU schedule without a roadie to Wisconsin added - let alone with it added. Never.



BSU took a few isolated shots - and made them.



I am all for following the BSU model - but you clearly do not understand the BSU model. The BSU model is the old BYU model. Take heat for schedule. Remind that teams are unwilling to play on a level field - then take an isolated unlevel shot here and there. But play anybody that wants to do home and away or truly neutral.



If you want to throw out BSU formula for success - take a look at their cupcake 2012 schedule - which is fairly typical for BSU. BYU has a tougher schedule.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
I can't believe people are complaining about neutral site games at Cowboys Stadium against TCU and Oklahoma. I'm sure they'll complain about a neutral site game at Soldier Field as well.




Count me in on the whining. I love Soldier field, though. Let's play USC there or Oregon. I would be all for that. I love Jerry's World, too. Let's play Wisconsin there. All for that.



Wisconsin at Soldier Field - hardly neutral. When I lived in Chicago, it was less than a 2 hour drive to Milwaukee - still is. Yes - I reslize that W is not in Milwaukee. Used to drive to Wisconsin just to get brats or go to an antique auction at some farm. Hardly neutral. Made the drive to SLC several times. Over 30 hours iirc even ignoring the speed limit signs.



Historically, I also do not think BYU matches up well Vs a Wisconsin style team. I would rather play Buckeyes, Wolverines, Penn State.



Not sure we match up well with Nebraska either.



But - hey - I am OK with playing anyone - anywhere - that is reasonably neutral re travel, jet lag, familiarity(TCU practiced all summer at that very site for example), and fanbase.



If ND was 2-2-2 with the two neutral games in San Diego , the Thursday after they play @USC wouldn't that have been a great neutral site.



Anyway - BYU needs to quit acting like a mid-major - little brother - if it wants to quit getting treated like one.



The smart programs stack the odds. The naive programs sucker for that.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.