Archived Topic

Romney's VP Announcement!!

by Ddawg · 7/16/2012

Advertisement
H
HoosierCougar
I think the VP will be Portman. He's a cautious choice, but a solid one.

He's been vetted by the Senate a couple times for different positions, so he's unlikely to carry any unseen baggage. He can really help Romney navigate the policy, political, and legislative mazes of Washington as well.



He likely delivers OH.



Ryan is a lightening rod as has been said (though I think he'd be a great choice, as would Eric Kantor, but he has similar electrical conductivity).



Condi is an electoral novice. She could become a campaign liability and her pro-choice position plus Romney's Mormonism could put off enough Evangelicals to put supposedly solid states in play.



Rubio is my choice, but he won't be Romney's for these reasons:

1) If Rubio is ready, then so was Obama after 2 years in the Senate. You don't want to shore up the other guys weakness.

.

2) A Cuban-American doesn't really win you any Mexican-American or Central American-American :skeptic: votes. Other Latinos see Cubans as a different group all together.

.

3) Personality. Expect a policy wonk-ishness to Romney's ticket. Someone solid but quiet. That's not Rubio. You don't want the VP to overshadow you. Remember after the first VP debate in 2000 when people were saying "Wouldn't a Lieberman-Cheney ticket be awesome!" That's why it won't be Christie, either.

.

4) Rubio's Mormon past (or, as sno put it, quasi-Mormon past). Don't give the conspiracy theorists (on the left or the right) anything that easy to hang their hats on.



I say there's a 75% chance they announce before the Olympics. Let the media and the masses investigate the Veep nominee while they are feeling all patriotic and are also distracted.



Then ram home his (cause it won't be Condi) credentials after the Olys and through the convention. Then make it about the economy and how no one who has ever hired Mitt Romney has been let down.
M
Mars
HoosierCougar wrote:
I think the VP will be Portman.

She is pretty good looking. Second-wife material maybe?



http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/Natalie_Portman_-_TIFF2010_01.jpg/220px-Natalie_Portman_-_TIFF2010_01.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
Ha ha ha!!! Excellent. :D
S
scott715
He gets my vote!
D
Ddawg
I am convinced now, with the shooing event at the Batman movie in Aurora, Colorado, combined with the London Olympics starting in 5 days, there is no way Mitt Romney will announce his VP pick till after the Olympics.



Mitt will not want to detract from the horrible shooting event and the deep emotional healing that is taking place there. Also, he does not want any detraction from his announcement, as selfish as it sounds, it's reality. Mitt and his team need to springboard his VP announcement into the the beginning of the final push for the Whitehouse.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Ddawg wrote:
I am convinced now, with the shooing event at the Batman movie in Aurora, Colorado, combined with the London Olympics starting in 5 days, there is no way Mitt Romney will announce his VP pick till after the Olympics.



Mitt will not want to detract from the horrible shooting event and the deep emotional healing that is taking place there. Also, he does not want any detraction from his announcement, as selfish as it sounds, it's reality. Mitt and his team need to springboard his VP announcement into the the beginning of the final push for the Whitehouse.


If negative headlines in general continue to drive the cycle (Canadians wealthier on average than Americans, worse than expected unemployment numbers, Aurora shooting, sex assault on children at PSU, etc., etc.), the pragmatic thing for Romney as the insurgent would be to just let it ride for now. Bain has gone to the back burner with all of this, so his need to redirect the news cycle has been muted.



The general feeling as negative news piles on becomes "something is wrong with the country," or "something needs to change;" both of which aren't good sentiments for an incumbent. Furthermore, with all these negative stories in general out there, Obama is in "damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't" territory as the incumbent. Take Aurora for example--Obama came out here on Sunday to visit the victims, and some are already accusing him of politicizing the shooting for free face time in a battleground state. Then again, if he doesn't visit, he gets ripped for being "distant" or more worried about re-election than the American people. When an incumbent is facing re-election and things are going south, every action or inaction gets distorted through the lens of political opportunism or panic. As long as these things remain in the limelight and Bain fades to the shadows, Romney no longer needs to redirect the cycle before the Games open.
C
CougarClaw
Politics is so dastardly. damned if you do or don't is absolutely right.



I did hear that Romney praised Obama for going to CO to visit victims. But that's just because he wanted to position himself as a caring individual to win an election. right?
D
Ddawg
Let's see ........ in the past year Obama has attended 109 campaign fund raisers, 0 meetings with his job council, and 1 well photographed visit to Aurora, Co.



Was Obama's visit to Aurora, Co. political? Well, the above data suggests Obama is in 100% campaign mode. You decide.
D
Ddawg
Flash - Breaking News - Mitt Romney will announce his VP choice tomorrow, Sat., Aug. 8 at 9 AM ESt, from Norfolk, Virginia.



This is going to be interesting! Paul Ryan? Marco Rubio? Rob Portman? Condoleeza Rice? Tim Pawlenty? David Patreus?



Or - a complete dark horse that no one see coming. I am excited.
B
BroncoBot
According to drudgereport, it looks to be Ryan. They are dropping some pretty heavy hints over there.
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Hmmmm ...... my personal choice would be either Condoleeza Rice, Marco Rubio, or David Patreus.



I like Ryan - he's brilliant - but a lightning rod for the kooky liberal media. I want someone that will appeal to the Independent middle vote. That's the key to this election. Whoever appeals to and captures the Independents.
B
BroncoBot
No matter who he choses, they will be made a lightning rod by the pro-obama crowd. Get ready for a long ugly fight America.



God bless America.
S
snoscythe
The Paul Ryan pick puzzles me. I get that he's a fiscal whiz-kid and he gets in Obama's craw, but Ryan (i) has never run for office outside his district, (ii) doubles down the ticket on some of Romney's less popular policies, and (iii) would, if successful, remove Ryan as the Chair of the House finance committee. Especially given the emphasis Romney put on keeping elected republicans in positions of power to facilitate change (it was his argument in favor of retaining big-spender Orrin Hatch over Liljenquist), I thought Ryan would have been dismissed early on.



Ryan is a risky pick--let's hope he fares better under scrutiny than Palin did.
H
HoosierCougar
I think it's all about the base. And it shows that Romney is willing to push hard for conservative ideals like fiscal responsibility.



Also about having an awesome widow's peak! The great hair ticket!
D
Ddawg
snoscythe wrote:



Ryan is a risky pick--let's hope he fares better under scrutiny than Palin did.




+1. Agree. Ryan is very bright, an intellectual force on budgets and the economy - and does NOT grab the Independent vote. Also, choosing Ryan puts Florida into play.



I think Rubio or Rice would have been better "political" plays - while bringing on smart players.



We shall see how it goes ........
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
This pick suggests to me that Romney is more worried about the conservative base and shoring that up than going after the center. OH is now a tough get for Romney....
H
HoosierCougar
Oh, Man! Mark Durrant's tweet in the feed just made me spit OJ I was laughing so hard:



@DurrantMark Some say they'd rather have a beer with Obama than Romney. Not me. Being with a Mormon when they had their first beer would be awesome.


:lol:
B
BoiseBYU
HoosierCougar wrote:
Oh, Man! Mark Durrant's tweet in the feed just made me spit OJ I was laughing so hard:



@DurrantMark Some say they'd rather have a beer with Obama than Romney. Not me. Being with a Mormon when they had their first beer would be awesome.


:lol:


He is one of the funniest guys around. I get good laughs each day
S
Schmoe
I wasn't too familiar with Paul Ryan, so I did some research, and I gotta say that I'm excited for the economy if we can get this ticket elected.
D
Ddawg
Schmoe wrote:

I wasn't too familiar with Paul Ryan, so I did some research, and I gotta say that I'm excited for the economy if we can get this ticket elected.


I've been a fan of Ryan's for years. He has integrity, very bright, knows the federal budget like no one else. But, I am concerned because the Liberal media spin machine loves to attack Ryan - because he is fiscally conservative and speaks the truth.



I love Ryan. The Obama Chicago attack dog thugs will skewer and misconstrue Ryan. They've already accused Romney of killing a woman with cancer.



This will be an intense 80+ days till Nov. 6th.
Page 2 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.