Archived Topic

Jimmer's NBA career is over. . .

by BYULV · 7/14/2012

Advertisement
B
BYULV
. . . If he stays with the Kings. I went to the summer league game last night and even though Jimmer played a horrendous game, the team was 10 times worse. I wouldn't usually be too worried about a Summer league team, but they seem to have taken on the personality of the regular season team. There is little to no coaching, there is no teamwork, and no enthusiasm. You could see it starting in warmups when the guys started doing dunks during layup drills. They kept trying to one up each other with better dunks. The bobcats were the exact opposite team. They were well coached, played together, cheered each other on and played hard to the very end. Granted, they had better team members overall, but they were noticeably better prepared than the Kings from warmups through the final buzzer.



Jimmer is surrounded by people who don't know how to coach or play team basketball and by players who buy into the coaching philosophy of Everyone for themselves. I see Jimmer getting worse in this environment and stagnating. He will be a bust if he doesn't get out of Sacramento soon.
B
BroncoBot
totally agree. Couldn't have went to a worse team. It's a collection of good players who don't know what position they play and refuse to recognize that there are 4 other teammates on the floor at all times.



The Kings are a complete joke.
S
SpiffCoug
He may not have been able to go to a worse team, but there are equally bad teams to which he could have gone. Like the Charlotte Bobcats or Washington Wizards or New Orleans Hornets or Cleveland Cavaliers are all extremely poorly run teams.
S
Schmoe
Did a little better today: 3 boards, 4 assists, 15 points in 25 minutes.
Q
Qman
I watched half of the first game and all the second and this is what I saw:



All the opposing teams play Jimmer this way. They pick him up at half court and play pressure D with a very good defender. Jimmer is usually being guarded by SG who is 6'5" or 6'6". Jimmer hasn't been able to get a step on them and get into the paint. So when a screen comes for a pick and roll Jimmer has been pushed out beyond the 3 pt line. The big man shows really hard and usually doubles Jimmer.



By the end of the second game Jimmer finally started to get the screener to set the screen at the right angle and on the right side so he could create some space for a shot or a drive. In turn he got the foul line and had a bunch of shots he can make go in and out.



Defensively he is too physically slow to make up for fact that he doesn't really know where to help to or rotate to. Maybe this a coaching thing or maybe it is a Jimmer thing. I can't tell.



IMO there are still some ways for Jimmer to become an offensive weapon.



1. Learn to use off the ball screens better. Yes the plays in Summer League aren't well run but Jimmer doesn't setup the screens or curl around them well. He is a good enough shooter to score a couple of buckets using screens.



2. He needs to get strong and more crafty with the ball to make up for his lack of foot speed.



3. Defensively he needs to intently study film so his quick decision making can make him a couple of steps faster.



So, I think it isn't hopeless yet. He needs to work his butt off in the film room. If he can show some more improvement in the 3rd game, then he can gain the confidence of his teammates and himself.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
I agree with your analysis QMan, but I just can't see the kings being focused enough or selfless enough to set screens for Jimmer. The summer league is designed around developing Jimmer and their current draft pick. The coaches have done such a poor job preparing this team for the summer league that I think he will have a difficult time developing. If he does improve, which I think he will, getting this team to rally around him and improve with him, then when he moves on to the regular season, what does he do then? I have little faith that the current Kings starters will work to help setup shots for Jimmer, nor will the coaches reign in their team to focus on team basketball. I have plenty of faith in Jimmer's ability to do well in the NBA, but more faith in the ability of the Kings staff to bungle their opportunity with Jimmer, stifle his growth and crush his confidence. Hope they prove me wrong.
Q
Qman
IMO DeMarcus Cousins is a Jimmer fan and if Jimmer can win over Thomas Robinson that would be the two cornerstones of the team. The two biggest chuckers are Thorton and Evans. I expect them to be told to feed the ball to the big guys and shut up once a new coach is brought into town.
B
BYULV
Qman wrote:
IMO DeMarcus Cousins is a Jimmer fan and if Jimmer can win over Thomas Robinson that would be the two cornerstones of the team. The two biggest chuckers are Thorton and Evans. I expect them to be told to feed the ball to the big guys and shut up once a new coach is brought into town.


If cousins is on his side there is hope. Robinson seems to play well with Jimmer, so we'll have to see. Evans is a wild card in more ways then one.
S
Schmoe
Today vs. the Rockets: 30 pts, 3 assists, 4 boards, 1 steal in 28 minutes. Not bad at all.
S
scott715
What was his shooting percentage?
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
scott715 wrote:
What was his shooting percentage?


10-21 overall, 2-6 from 3pt.
B
BYULV
I saw a renewed energy , swagger and confidence in Jimmer tonight. He didn't have the defensive pressure they put on him the first game, but I think he made plays tonight that he wasn't making the first two games. He played smarter, yet more aggressive. Jimmer definitely has NBA potential, but my premise stands, I don't think the King have the ability to utilize his skill set properly.
M
mizzoucoug
I can't believe the criticism of Jimmer for last night's game. I'm sorry but I have to say it's racist BS to slam him for doing exactly what Thornton, Reke, and Isaiah did all last season every night! It's well-documented (and I saw with my own 2 eyes) that those guys rarely ever kicked to Jimmer no matter how open he was or how bad a shot they were going to throw up there.



Total BS. The Kings suck at passing and D yet all of these weaknesses get projected onto the white guy who gets bench minutes. NBA racism at its finest.
G
Gunk
mizzoucoug wrote:
I can't believe the criticism of Jimmer for last night's game. I'm sorry but I have to say it's racist BS to slam him for doing exactly what Thornton, Reke, and Isaiah did all last season every night! It's well-documented (and I saw with my own 2 eyes) that those guys rarely ever kicked to Jimmer no matter how open he was or how bad a shot they were going to throw up there.



Total BS. The Kings suck at passing and D yet all of these weaknesses get projected onto the white guy who gets bench minutes. NBA racism at its finest.


Have to agree with you here. Only reason Jimmer is sitting on the bench. You can't tell me Isaiah is a better ball player than Jimmer. I'm sorry. Jimmer needs to play selfish otherwise he's going to find himself out of a job.
M
Mars


30 points on nearly 50% shooting is a clear sign that Jimmer's NBA career is over.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Mars wrote:


30 points on nearly 50% shooting is a clear sign that Jimmer's NBA career is over.


He won't get nearly as many touches and as much freedom in the regular season as he has now in the summer league. It's over if he stays with the selfish Kings, he needs to get moved to a team who actually plays as a team and has a coach with a brain.
S
Schmoe
Jimmer was the high scorer again for the Kings today: 19 pts, 4 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal in 33 mins.



(Also of note: Trent Plaisted netted 6 points, 4 boards, and 1 block in 23 mins for Toronto).
B
BYULV
Mars wrote:


30 points on nearly 50% shooting is a clear sign that Jimmer's NBA career is over.


You obviously haven't paid attention to this thread.
M
Mars
BYULV wrote:
You obviously haven't paid attention to this thread.

A clear sign that this thread is over.
A
ABYUFAN
Mars wrote:
You obviously haven't paid attention to this thread.

A clear sign that this thread is over.

I only post on threads that Mars posts on, I just want to be in the "in" crowd... and Mars is definitely "In"! :lol:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.