Archived Topic

Great article by Lee Benson on the rivalry ending

by KingCoug · 7/13/2012

Advertisement
M
Mars


+1
M
MTM
I wonder what Benson's CougarBoard usename is.
F
frdbtr
Funny how all of the ute clones fall right in line with the "we don't need BYU anymore since we are in the pac 12" If the tables were turned and BYU were in the Big 12 and utah hadn't gotten an invite to a bigger conference, I would be furious if the BYU admin was saying they weren't going to sched utah in order to balance the sched.
M
MTM
Benson's article is, at best, a Bleacher Report hack job.



At worst, a butt hurt crybaby fan's post.



It it not a professional journalist piece.



I expect better from him even if he is a honk for the hometown team.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
MTM wrote:
Benson's article is, at best, a Bleacher Report hack job.



At worst, a butt hurt crybaby fan's post.



It it not a professional journalist piece.



I expect better from him even if he is a honk for the hometown team.


I wasn't even going to read it. Now I better.
J
JamieVallen
MTM wrote:
Benson's article is, at best, a Bleacher Report hack job.



At worst, a butt hurt crybaby fan's post.



It it not a professional journalist piece.



I expect better from him even if he is a honk for the hometown team.

I'd have to say I sort of agree with you. But Maybe its because I'm sick of reading the same article done over and over again by the way extremely emotionally invested writers.



I for one would love the game to be played every year, and still blame Utah for ending it. But most people have a short sighted view and live in the now, which is natural; but after a couple of year hiatus I expect this game to continue in later years. And who knows maybe a cooloff is what both sides need. So it's whatever...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
MTM
jmvcougar wrote:
[



I for one would love the game to be played every year, and still blame Utah for ending it. But most people have a short sighted view and live in the now, which is natural; but after a couple of year hiatus I expect this game to continue in later years. And who knows maybe a cooloff is what both sides need. So it's whatever...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


That's fair.
B
byucougar1
Whether intended or not, the 2-year hiatus has just added more fuel to the rivalry. This year's game is very significant as the loser will have a bad taste in their mouth until the next game in 2015. By then, the rivalry game will be at a fever pitch, and used as a statement as to which team has truly risen to level of top contender with championship potential.
N
northerncougar
byucougar1 wrote:
Whether intended or not, the 2-year hiatus has just added more fuel to the rivalry. This year's game is very significant as the loser will have a bad taste in their mouth until the next game in 2015. By then, the rivalry game will be at a fever pitch, and used as a statement as to which team has truly risen to level of top contender with championship potential.


You're off by one on both sides.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
Utah comes to Provo in 2013. the break is 2014-15, which coincides with teh Utah-Michigan series.



I think the Benson article was hammer meets nail. Sorry, but dude nailed it. Utah is walking from history, and whatever excsuse or reason they use rings hollow. The game is biggerthan Whit, bigger than Hill, yet they are the two deciding to scrub it two years for hte sake of scheduling balance. Read between the lines Ute fans: your cach and AD are afraid of being able to win more than 6 games to be bowl eligible. Simply put, this is the reason, and no other.



I guess Yewt can say whatever they want, but WHit>Hill basically gave the answer--they are afraid of not being able to be bowl eligible.



Enjoy that reality.
N
northerncougar
MTM wrote:
Benson's article is, at best, a Bleacher Report hack job.



At worst, a butt hurt crybaby fan's post.



It it not a professional journalist piece.



I expect better from him even if he is a honk for the hometown team.


This is something I find fascinating. Why do you even care what Benson said? If it really is a crybaby post or a hack job, does it matter? Utah has moved onto bigger and better things, right? The fact that you responded to it, says he still touched a nerve. If you really didn't care, you wouldn't have responded.



I am amazed at the number of BYU fans who are so angry/hurt/whatever over Utah not playing BYU for two years and I am amazed at the number of Utah fans who get worked up whenever anyone calls Utah on shutting down the game for a year or two.



BYU and Utah fans all need this game much more than they are willing to admit.
N
northerncougar
Lawboy wrote:
Utah comes to Provo in 2013. the break is 2014-15, which coincides with teh Utah-Michigan series.



I think the Benson article was hammer meets nail. Sorry, but dude nailed it. Utah is walking from history, and whatever excsuse or reason they use rings hollow. The game is biggerthan Whit, bigger than Hill, yet they are the two deciding to scrub it two years for hte sake of scheduling balance. Read between the lines Ute fans: your cach and AD are afraid of being able to win more than 6 games to be bowl eligible. Simply put, this is the reason, and no other.



I guess Yewt can say whatever they want, but WHit>Hill basically gave the answer--they are afraid of not being able to be bowl eligible.



Enjoy that reality.


Actually, there is no reading between the lines: Hill specifically said he is trying to avoid 11 difficult games a year.
F
frdbtr
Lawboy wrote:
Utah comes to Provo in 2013. the break is 2014-15, which coincides with teh Utah-Michigan series.



I think the Benson article was hammer meets nail. Sorry, but dude nailed it. Utah is walking from history, and whatever excsuse or reason they use rings hollow. The game is biggerthan Whit, bigger than Hill, yet they are the two deciding to scrub it two years for hte sake of scheduling balance. Read between the lines Ute fans: your cach and AD are afraid of being able to win more than 6 games to be bowl eligible. Simply put, this is the reason, and no other.



I guess Yewt can say whatever they want, but WHit>Hill basically gave the answer--they are afraid of not being able to be bowl eligible.



Enjoy that reality.


+1 and MTM can cry about hack jobs and what not but the truth is still the truth. utah/BYU is a rivalry every bit as good as any in the country and the fact that Hill and Whit are too chicken to play it is disgusting at the least. Like I said in my post, if it were BYU doing what utah is doing, I would be furios as a fan of the school. Someone with some guts (does utah really have boosters), needs to step up and tell these two gutless morons that the gravy train is going to dry up if they go through with this.
C
Cougarbib
Utah Fans and Boosters hate BYU and probably pressured Hill and KWhitt to screw BYU. Don't look for a fan rebellion over there. U fans, although many are classy and many will miss the rivalry, will be represented by a very vocal minority that hate BYU and will revel and delight knowing that U screwed BYU and that BYU fans are in outrage and misery over it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
MTM
I don’t really care what Benson said. I just thought he was better than to use his column as a whine box.



I expect a professional to act like a professional and that’s all. I don’t read the D-News but what little I do know about Lee Benson’s work is that it is professional and he seems to be objective. That’s why I was surprised.



Now I would understand if a fan went on some tirade. And that is what he sounded like-a fan who is hurt, angry, and bitter. It would have made a better post on CB, IMO.



And to the other point-- this from ESPN this morning regarding the PAC/BIG

“Teams such as USC and Stanford, which already play an annual game with Notre Dame, would be stuck with 11 A-list opponents. No program wants that, even ones that schedule ambitiously.”



Ask Oregon if they’re glad they played LSU last year. There is a fair chance that had Oregon played a body bag game instead they would have ended up playing LSU in the BCS Championship game.



Geez, even some on you on this board are talking about BYU being careful not to overschedule so as to not jeopardize a 10 win season. EVERYBODY tries to balance their schedule.



I don’t know how Utah will fare in the PAC-12 over time. But I doubt remaining bowl-eligible will be a primary concern however. Could they have a bad year? Of course. Everybody does. Stanford is 5 seasons removed from a 1-11 campaign. Washington was 0-12 in 2008.



Most all of the pre-season stuff I’ve read has Utah rated as the 4th best team in the league this year. More than half their team is still comprised of guys who were MWC recruits. They've not received PAC money yet. But their last two recruiting classes have been better than they’ve ever had. The coaching staff is really good at coaching guys up. To me, all signals point to a better product on the field going forward.



I’m not ready to anoint them the next USC or Oregon but I think they’ll stay comfortably in the top 3rd of the league and if they happen to catch lightening in a bottle like 2004 or 2008 the sky is the limit. I don’t see any logic to the contrary. But I could be wrong. Maybe they will become a 6-6 team every year. I just don’t think so. There is nothing to suggest that will happen.



One last thing-and this is part honest question and part devil’s advocate but USU used to be just as big a rival for BYU and Utah. Played every year. Very competitive until the LaVell era too. Yet they were unceremoniously dumped by both schools. How is that any different than what is going on now with Utah and BYU?



I do this about every 6 months! LOL I get all worked up and feel like I have to argue. So I’ll just post this and then take a little break for a while. LOL
F
frdbtr
You don't see USC dumping their biggest rival in order to "balance thier schedule", you see them complaining about adding an annual game to thier schedule which would cause them to have to dump their rival.
M
MTM
frdbtr wrote:
You don't see USC dumping their biggest rival in order to "balance thier schedule", you see them complaining about adding an annual game to thier schedule which would cause them to have to dump their rival.


I'm not arguing Utah shouldn't play BYU. I don't care either way. My initial post was that I thought Benson's article as poorly done.
K
KingCoug
MTM wrote:
Benson's article is, at best, a Bleacher Report hack job.



At worst, a butt hurt crybaby fan's post.



It it not a professional journalist piece.



I expect better from him even if he is a honk for the hometown team.


I'd expect this response from a Yewt fan. But not from a poster here. Unless we have Yewt trolls here like there are on Cougarboard.



Anyway, what about the Benson article isn't true or spot on? Don't just call it a "hack job." Try actually backing your point up.
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:
You don't see USC dumping their biggest rival in order to "balance thier schedule", you see them complaining about adding an annual game to thier schedule which would cause them to have to dump their rival.

No, you see USC dumping the Big Ten to keep their Notre Dame deal, and the Big Ten then dumping the 12pac, because who else are they going to get stuck playing, Utah or Colorado? No thanks.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.