Archived Topic

Grantland

by Dcr36 · 7/11/2012

Advertisement
D
Dcr36
It's been around for over a year now. Anyone else read it/have strong feelings about it?



I can't think of another sports website that I've enjoyed as much and loathed as completely. Some of their articles are incredibly thorough and thoughtful (two of my favorites have been on the Malice in the Palace and Kwame Brown), but it feels like every writer in their stable is prone to bouts of pointless "look-how-verbose-and-cultured-I-am" sessions. Plus, I feel like the further they stray from sports (TV recaps, pop culture as pop psychology as op-ed) the more insufferable it gets.
S
scott715
What are you talking about? I am not familiar with it. Do you have a link to the website?
D
Dcr36
scott715 wrote:
What are you talking about? I am not familiar with it. Do you have a link to the website?


It's just http://www.grantland.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Bill Simmons (the ESPN writer/Boston homer) launched it around the NBA finals last year. It's sort of a subsidiary of ESPN.com in that it gets its own box on the front page and they link their articles on the main feed pretty often.



I guess it's not as widely read as I believed.
M
Mars


My brother raves about it. It's the sports articles that are too long and un-edited to make a major website.
Y
Yndian
Dcr36 wrote:

I can't think of another sports website that I've enjoyed as much and loathed as completely. Some of their articles are incredibly thorough and thoughtful (two of my favorites have been on the Malice in the Palace and Kwame Brown), but it feels like every writer in their stable is prone to bouts of pointless "look-how-verbose-and-cultured-I-am" sessions. Plus, I feel like the further they stray from sports (TV recaps, pop culture as pop psychology as op-ed) the more insufferable it gets.


You hit the nail right on the head. I can't vouch for the pop culture stuff since I don't care about/read it, but some hugely-long articles are enthralling and some I can't make it through two paragraphs for all the author's self-love going on.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.