Archived Topic

BYU Slimfast Program - Status

by byucougar1 · 6/26/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
http://deepshadesofblue.com/byus-new-philosophy-fit-not-fat/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DeepShadesOfBlue+%28Deep+Shades+of+Blue%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



We all remember Doman calling out the OL in Spring and stating that things had to change with respect to the conditioning and shape of the linemen. He was frustrated about the difficuty he was having implementing the new up-tempo offense.



Specifically, Doman said, “Things we do in our pass protection and run schemes require that they be really lean and athletic so we’ve focused a lot of energy in creating lean muscle mass in our conditioning. We want our offensive linemen to be as lean and athletic as possible.”



He provided a glimpse of how the off-season training and improvement in OL conditioning has progressed with this statement, “That is happening at a faster rate than I expected, so I’m expecting to see a very athletic offensive line walk on to the field when we start things up in August, and hopefully they’ll play as good as we’ve played in a while, ”



Some of the returning OL vets are confirming his assesment by reporting that they have worked five times harder in training this off season than any other time while at BYU.



I am really interested to see this re-tooled OL/Offense on display this season as it will be a nice compliment to the tenacious defense that Bronco has installed.
C
CougarClaw
I think most of us are expecting a talent drop off this year. Should be interesting, good update.
C
crh55
byucougar1 wrote:



Specifically, Doman said, “Things we do in our pass protection and run schemes require that they be really lean and athletic so we’ve focused a lot of energy in creating lean muscle mass in our conditioning. We want our offensive linemen to be as lean and athletic as possible.”






Isn't lean and athletic offensive linemen the definition of an oxymoron???
L
Lawboy
First off, I do not expect to see a talent drop off with the Oline. I expect them to be better but less experienced, but to perform better. BYU has had lines with experience that underachieved for many years now. I think this line is going to be more physical and perform better because they will be more athletic.



Fact is, the guys are moving through BYU, getting games, but not getting much better. BYU has had few Oline players drafted in forever, so I just do not see them being worse. The pressure is on them this year and they know it.
C
Cougs_Rule
Lawboy wrote:
First off, I do not expect to see a talent drop off with the Oline. I expect them to be better but less experienced, but to perform better. BYU has had lines with experience that underachieved for many years now. I think this line is going to be more physical and perform better because they will be more athletic.



Fact is, the guys are moving through BYU, getting games, but not getting much better. BYU has had few Oline players drafted in forever, so I just do not see them being worse. The pressure is on them this year and they know it.


This!!



Doman should have held a Biggest Loser contest this summer and given a Buddha helmet sticker to be worn all year. :-)
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
crh55 wrote:



Specifically, Doman said, “Things we do in our pass protection and run schemes require that they be really lean and athletic so we’ve focused a lot of energy in creating lean muscle mass in our conditioning. We want our offensive linemen to be as lean and athletic as possible.”


Isn't lean and athletic offensive linemen the definition of an oxymoron???


I think by "lean" he's talking about a line that's closer to 300lbs with some actual quickness compared to the 400 lb behemoths of yesteryear. (I don't know if any of them were really 400 lbs, but there have been rumors that some of these guys listed in the mid 300's were actually closer to 400)



It's all relative
M
Mars
Lawboy wrote:
First off, I do not expect to see a talent drop off with the Oline.

No doubt Reynolds was not considered to be talented.
S
scott715
Did you hear today that KVN said that they can't go to McDonalds? That they are all on diets and working with nutrionists.
G
Gunk
What about Wendy's or In 'n Out?



The OL better be better this year as they were pathetic last year. If it weren't for RN, his craftiness and flowing hair it would have been a long season. RN made the OL look better.



Time for the OL to make RN look better.
B
BigCougsFan
When we ran the up tempo/no huddle offense last year. Defenses could not stop us. The thing was... Our offense got tired before the FREAKIN' defense did!!!



Talk about raining on Doman's parade! That would hella piss me off!



I swear the linemen were eating twinkies and ding dongs during timeouts.
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
Gunk wrote:
What about Wendy's or In 'n Out?



The OL better be better this year as they were pathetic last year. If it weren't for RN, his craftiness and flowing hair it would have been a long season. RN made the OL look better.



Time for the OL to make RN look better.


5 guys should be OK too.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.