Archived Topic

Quarterback Question

by cougsnspurs4life · 11/10/2009

Advertisement
C
cougsnspurs4life
During the game when Riley was in, they quoted Anae as saying, "If Nelson wins the job next year, we might see an entirely different offensive scheme out there..."



Doesn't that kind of defeat the point? I mean you pick the quarterback that fits the system (unless the kid is a crazy outstanding athlete), not change the system for the quarterback. That scares me a little bit, and we still have this season to go. I can understand adding a few option plays, or something, but an entirely different scheme. Anyone have any info or thoughts on this?
P
ProV1
Only thought I have is that this comment was made by either Bates or Christensen who, collectively, know squadoosh.
C
cougsnspurs4life
ProV1 wrote:
Only thought I have is that this comment was made by either Bates or Christensen who, collectively, know squadoosh.


hahaha. I agree. But I think they were quoting him (Anae)...
F
frdbtr
cougsnspurs4life wrote:
During the game when Riley was in, they quoted Anae as saying, "If Nelson wins the job next year, we might see an entirely different offensive scheme out there..."



Doesn't that kind of defeat the point? I mean you pick the quarterback that fits the system (unless the kid is a crazy outstanding athlete), not change the system for the quarterback. That scares me a little bit, and we still have this season to go. I can understand adding a few option plays, or something, but an entirely different scheme. Anyone have any info or thoughts on this?


No
G
Guest
I think you try to recruit kids that fit into your system, but when you have players that are the best at their position you'd be foolish to shoe-horn them into a system they wont excel at. You modify your system to fit their strengths, just as we did when we had Staley and Doman. Those were far different offenses from the normal BYU offense, but it worked, because it fit the strengths of our 2 best players on Offense.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
I think you try to recruit kids that fit into your system, but when you have players that are the best at their position you'd be foolish to shoe-horn them into a system they wont excel at. You modify your system to fit their strengths, just as we did when we had Staley and Doman. Those were far different offenses from the normal BYU offense, but it worked, because it fit the strengths of our 2 best players on Offense.


It doesn't seem to be working for Ohio State right now.
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
I think you try to recruit kids that fit into your system, but when you have players that are the best at their position you'd be foolish to shoe-horn them into a system they wont excel at. You modify your system to fit their strengths, just as we did when we had Staley and Doman. Those were far different offenses from the normal BYU offense, but it worked, because it fit the strengths of our 2 best players on Offense.


It doesn't seem to be working for Ohio State right now.


Pryor shouldn't be a QB. He should be an RB or Slot Receiver. That's just poor coaching.
L
Lawboy
Crowton modified his O for Doman, and that worked just fine. The spread allows flexibility that way. We use a passing spread, other teams use more running spread schemes. So I do not think the offense has to be completely changed so much as modified to highlight the running aspect of it more than passing. But if we do use more of a running spread, I hope Unga is back because he can make it work.



Having said that, as far as I can tell. Doman threw it way better than Nelson does. If Nelson wins, we redshirt Heaps guaranteed. I think that will be the plan True freshman QBs just do not dominate, and I think Heaps and family are smart enough to know this fact.
J
jonnylingo
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I think you try to recruit kids that fit into your system, but when you have players that are the best at their position you'd be foolish to shoe-horn them into a system they wont excel at. You modify your system to fit their strengths, just as we did when we had Staley and Doman. Those were far different offenses from the normal BYU offense, but it worked, because it fit the strengths of our 2 best players on Offense.


It doesn't seem to be working for Ohio State right now.


Pryor shouldn't be a QB. He should be an RB or Slot Receiver. That's just poor coaching.


Apparently most coachces in d1 football don't know what they are doing then because if I recall correctly he was the number one qb recruit in the country coming into college, wasn't he?
G
Guest
jonnylingo wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
I think you try to recruit kids that fit into your system, but when you have players that are the best at their position you'd be foolish to shoe-horn them into a system they wont excel at. You modify your system to fit their strengths, just as we did when we had Staley and Doman. Those were far different offenses from the normal BYU offense, but it worked, because it fit the strengths of our 2 best players on Offense.


It doesn't seem to be working for Ohio State right now.


Pryor shouldn't be a QB. He should be an RB or Slot Receiver. That's just poor coaching.


Apparently most coachces in d1 football don't know what they are doing then because if I recall correctly he was the number one qb recruit in the country coming into college, wasn't he?


And I would say that that's pretty much exactly right. Coaching has gone away in many cases from recognizing superb skill sets for a particular position and focusing on "upside" and "athleticism."



I know nothing about Pryor's stats as a high school QB, but I'm guessing he was the #1 QB recruit for reasons of his athletic ability, rather than his pocket presence and high release. Michael Vick, Vince Young, etc. Give me less athletic QBs who can actually lead a team and make the big throws.
Advertisement
C
cachevalleycougar
If Nelson is going to be named the starter next year, you'd better pray that the coaching staff changes the offense up. Nelson cannot run the current offense ala Hall or Beck. But it could be tweaked to resemble more of what Utah ran with Alex Smith and be fairly successful with a good duo of running backs along with a QB who knows how to make run-reads and can sling it out there to Jacobsen and Chambers when defenses stack the line.
C
CAFB_04-12
Maybe a wildcat offense with Unga lobbing passes? :bug:
S
Schmoe
After watching Riley throw, I wouldn't be surprised if Lark or Munns wins the starting job next year.



As far as Pryor and being the #1 QB: Many high schools will use their best athlete at qb, they want their playmaker to have the ball as much as possible. Unfortunately, that usually doesn't work in college, and many times college coaches will recruit players and move them to different positions that will work better for them. It's called good coaching.
S
SpiffCoug
Schmoe wrote:
After watching Riley throw, I wouldn't be surprised if Lark or Munns wins the starting job next year.

Lark and Munns simply won't return from their missions in time to compete for the starting job.
B
blue42
kitic77 wrote:
After watching Riley throw, I wouldn't be surprised if Lark or Munns wins the starting job next year.

Lark and Munns simply won't return from their missions in time to compete for the starting job.


When do Lark and Munns return? If it isn't before spring ball I can't see them competing for the starting spot. I really don't think they will burn a year for Heaps and play him as a freshman so it looks like the job will be Nelsons. I really haven't seen him throw too many passes this year why all the talk about him not being able to throw?
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
Heaps has a perfect opportunity to take a red shirt and study the QB position at BYU. I see a situation where Heaps takes a red shirt during Nelson's Junior year, serves as a freshman backup to a senior Nelson, and takes over the system as a shoe-in starter as a sophomore ready to hit the ground running.



Or is it likely that Heaps beats out Nelson for the starting job either next year or the next? I would have to believe that Nelson has the upper hand having taken in-game snaps already.
M
Mars
blue42 wrote:
When do Lark and Munns return? If it isn't before spring ball I can't see them competing for the starting spot. I really don't think they will burn a year for Heaps and play him as a freshman so it looks like the job will be Nelsons.

I think that as long as a QB gets back before the first game, he has a chance to start for us next year. I think that Heaps will be the early favorite, though I like Munns. And I think that Nelson is a lot like Louks at Utah. And that Lark and the Cougar offensive staff have never meshed well together, for whatever reason.
I
imuakahuku
jonnylingo wrote:
I think you try to recruit kids that fit into your system, but when you have players that are the best at their position you'd be foolish to shoe-horn them into a system they wont excel at. You modify your system to fit their strengths, just as we did when we had Staley and Doman. Those were far different offenses from the normal BYU offense, but it worked, because it fit the strengths of our 2 best players on Offense.


It doesn't seem to be working for Ohio State right now.




The problem with Prior is that they tried to make him into a pocket passer. They since changed that and now they are winning again. Now he makes one maybe two reads then takes off. He has struggled at being stuck in the pocket.
S
SpiffCoug
Lark returns in January. I haven't heard if it is in time to enroll and participate in spring ball. Munns returns in June.



There is no way Munns comes in June and wins the job. He won't have a spring ball and will still be adjusting to life at home before coming to Provo.



IF Lark can enroll in time for spring ball, he could fight for the job, but he'd be behind Heaps and Nelson physically.



Here's what I see: The battle will be between Nelson and Heaps during spring ball. I think Bronco will name a starter coming out of spring. This will allow the team to rally around one QB all summer and let the team know who the "man" is.



If Riley Nelson is not clearly better than Heaps following spring ball I think you have you to name Heaps the starter. You go with the younger guy who also has more upside. You look at your schedule and ask yourself if there are any games that you wouldn't win even if you have a more experienced QB (i.e. at TCU, I don't think a more experienced QB will matter).



If Nelson is better then I also fully expect Heaps to develop the desire to serve a mission or at the least to red shirt - allowing Munns and/or Lark to fight for the backup job in fall camp. This would allow Heaps to learn for two years and then compete for the starting job as an RS SO and play for three years.
M
Mars
kitic77 wrote:
Munns returns in June. There is no way Munns comes in June and wins the job. He won't have a spring ball and will still be adjusting to life at home before coming to Provo.
I don't see why not, with no entrenched returning starter. 4 QBs, 0 starts at BYU.



I really don't see Bronco naming a starter coming out of spring ball. It wouldn't make sense. But that's just me.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.