Archived Topic

ESPN home page claims playoff coming!

by BroncoBot · 6/21/2012

Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Yeah a four-team "playoff" to appease the masses, keep the good old boys in control, and not really solve the problem at all.
C
Cougs_Rule
Now, if this gets ratified, more than ever, BYU is out of the fantasy NC. At least there was a semblance of, a perceived slim chance of getting in. Forget it, it's done. An 8 team playoff would have kept that scant dream alive, but it is now officially over and forever locked up. Make no mistake, don't be lulled into thinking......IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!

BIB, if you want to start spouting asterisk on '84, now is the time brother. The powers that are will make sure to continue marginalizing and never allow that to happen ever again.
G
Guest
A 4 team playoff will lead to an 8 team will lead to a 12 or 16 team. It's inevitable. The money is simply too great.
C
Cougarfan87
hawkwing wrote:
A 4 team playoff will lead to an 8 team will lead to a 12 or 16 team. It's inevitable. The money is simply too great.


I concur. It will expand just like the NCAA basketball tournament expanded. However, I am very leery of a "panel" selecting the four seeds to play. That is ripe for abuse. If you ask me, it should be the top 4 in the AP poll. Coaches poll is biased. While AP writers may be biased, they are spread out around the country. BYU has typically done well in the AP poll when it has deserved it.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
A 4 team playoff will lead to an 8 team will lead to a 12 or 16 team. It's inevitable. The money is simply too great.

Probably will. And then the power brokers including the heavily eastern media - will come up with some funky seeding process to make BYU play in on Thursday and then take on the #1 Seed two days later on Saturday Morning - two time zones away from their play in game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Cougarbib2 wrote:
A 4 team playoff will lead to an 8 team will lead to a 12 or 16 team. It's inevitable. The money is simply too great.

Probably will. And then the power brokers including the heavily eastern media - will come up with some funky seeding process to make BYU play in on Thursday and then take on the #1 Seed two days later on Saturday Morning - two time zones away from their play in game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Very true.
M
MTM
Hawk,

When I see your Signature I want to say it was a Delta Bravo move for Riley to do that because, well, that's what we do to our rivals, but I can't. Really I find it pretty funny.
J
JamieVallen
MTM wrote:
Hawk,

When I see your Signature I want to say it was a Delta Bravo move for Riley to do that because, well, that's what we do to our rivals, but I can't. Really I find it pretty funny.

Hahaha I agree, I stil get a kick out of that video. From the time I saw that play live on tv, til now, I'm still not totally sure he did it knowing at that very moment that he was actual high-fiving a ref. I think he just got caught up in the moment and maybe thought it was somebody else or didn't realize how funny/messed up it was in the spur of the moment. Either way probably one of my favorite plays in all of college football last year.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it. It's one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had watching football.
M
Mars


Utah has gone undefeated twice and made a BCS bow game. Boise State has gone undefeated twice and made a BCS bowl game. TCU has gone undefeated twice and made a BCS bowl game. How many of those 6 teams do you think would have made it into a 4 team playoff? My guess: None.



During the same time period, BYU has lost 2+ games every season, not finishing even once in the final Top 10.
S
SpiffCoug
I think the TCU team that won the Rose Bowl would have made the playoff. They were ranked #3 in the BCS, IIRC.
C
Cougarbib
Mars wrote:


Utah has gone undefeated twice and made a BCS bow game. Boise State has gone undefeated twice and made a BCS bowl game. TCU has gone undefeated twice and made a BCS bowl game. How many of those 6 teams do you think would have made it into a 4 team playoff? My guess: None.



During the same time period, BYU has lost 2+ games every season, not finishing even once in the final Top 10.

What did Napoleon Dynomite say?



"You can't possibly know that" or something like that.

Or Lawboy might say - "Speculation your honor"



But, I agree that the powers would have made every effort to shaft them and likely would have succeeded nearly every time if not every time.



Having said that - and taking a long term view of things -



Utah is now in PAC and except in extreme circumstances, could not be denied a playoff birth in the future if undefeated.



TCU is now in The Big 12 - see Utah.



BSU is now in BEASTWEST, and if undefeated, would be hard to keep out of the playoffs unless there were four other undefeated teams. They still might get screwed out of it, but they have strengrhened their position.



What does this all mean?



BYU needs to go undefeated a couple of times and quit overscheduling until it does so.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:
I think the TCU team that won the Rose Bowl would have made the playoff. They were ranked #3 in the BCS, IIRC.

BCS standings were Auburn, Oregon, TCU, Stanford, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Oklahoma. And I would bet that an "unbiased" selection committee would put in Auburn, Oregon, and 2 out of 3 of Stanford, Wisconsin, and Oklahoma. All 5 of those were in the Top 4 of one poll or another. I bet TCU would get a "strength of schedule" knock, and a "lack of a conference championship game" knock, and whatever other excuse they could come up with.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.