Archived Topic

Strength of Schedule Poll

by Cougarbib · 6/14/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Does BYU typically play an overall weaker schedule than they should?



This site does not allow my iPhone to create an actual poll.



So just reply and indicate yes or no and why you feel that way. Do not get hung up on the fact that teams will not come to Provo and thus the Spirit is willing, but the schedule is unavoidably weak. It is either weak or it isn't.



One requirement - if you vote no - you can't bitch about SOS if we win 11 and do not get a BCS Bowl due to perceived SOS issues.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



((Post edited to create poll for Bib))
C
Cougarbib
Yes

I think our schedule is weak and generally not respected by outsiders. 2012 and 2013 will be much stronger and more respected. I think BYU is now over-reaching by giving 2 for 1, 1 and Done, and un-neutral site advantage to good opponents since most refuse to play us straight up. I also think playing teams more than a 90 minute flight away is a mistake.



BYU should continue to play a weak schedule until they go undefeated or win 12 for 3 consecutive years.



Yes - the schedule is weak. The Spirit is willing but opponents are not.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I voted no. I think BYU generally plays a weak schedule. I think their OOC schedule (when in a conference) was about right for a program of BYU's caliber. I voted no because I don't think BYU is a playing a weaker schedule than they "should."



I think BYU is doing a good job of scheduling.
M
Mars


My complaint used to be, for years, "Why doesn't BYU dumb down their schedule and go undefeated half the time like Boise State?" USC, Notre Dame, and Florida State make that tough.
C
Cougarbib
Mars wrote:


My complaint used to be, for year, "Why doesn't BYU dumb down their schedule and go undefeated half the time like Boise State?" USC, Notre Dame, and Florida State make that tough.

Totally agree - and especially when BYU gives up home field equality.



BYU historically played a weak schedule. It was a mistake to make it tougher.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Depends on the program's goals. If we want to be NC caliber we eventually have to slay some dragons. If, however, we want to continue to be a really good team out west that nobody pays attention to then by all means keep the WAC schedules. Since the poll question is asking for an opinion I say "yes."
S
Stirfry
I said no because it's not to weak but I'd say yes if it was "perceived" to be too weak.



Plagirised from another thread:

"If we are in the Big 12, the majority of our games would be Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, and Texas Tech. That's probably a step up from the MWC, but is it really that much better?"



This is why getting into a BCS conference is such a big deal. Finishing with the same SOS and record inside or outside of the good ol boys club makes such a big difference. OUr schedule isn't/wasn't too weak, it's just doesn't have the reputation.



Those games are better than MWC but I think they're perceived to be much better. I don't know how many BCS teams face a harder schedule than say San Diego St. who had to play BYU, Utah, TCU, and Air Force every year. (Or BYU playing the MWC schedule when San Diego St is on an up year) Especially when you consider their OOC games and that the bigger BCS programs don't have to play themselves and may miss some of the other big teams in another division of their conference.
C
Cougs_Rule
No. Easy answer. As others have said, until we go undefeated or 12 wins year over year, it won't matter relative to NC talk. Majority of fans would rather see more wins than quality opponents. We have had enough OOC tough games to get attention if we just win them. However, too many patsies liked Idaho state is also not good. It's why the WAC was good for lavell and the MWC was good for Bronco, notwithstanding tv coverage problems.
S
scott715
If we could schedule where all the teams were above 80. We would be in good shape with SOS. A few +100 teams really hurt the SOS. Next year I think we will be in that position, no more weak WAC/MWC teams.
Y
YNot
I've said this before, but one of my worries about BYU's future schedules is that they will be too good. Look at 2013. Texas, Georgia Tech, and Boise State (and presumably Utah) at home, Notre Dame, Washington State, and Houston on the road. If we added Wisconsin and Oklahoma to that schedule, it would be a gauntlet. We could go after some lower level BCS schools like Indiana, Iowa State, Wak Forest, or Vanderbilt. But there are only so many of those teams out there. Plus, I would prefer to see more Mountain West and Conference USA teams on the schedule. There would likely be better story lines with geographic proximity and history.
Advertisement
M
Mars


To me, the perfect schedule has 12 BCS opponents that go 7-5 or better in which BYU is never the underdog by more than 3.5 points, and only that in less than 3 games...
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.