Archived Topic

2013 class ranked 9 as of right now

by srcougar · 6/13/2012

Advertisement
S
scott715
Cool, I didn't realize at first that this was basketball. It is still early and we got 4 committments. Our point total will not change much unless we get a surprise get.
C
Cougs_Rule
scott715 wrote:
Cool, I didn't realize at first that this was basketball. It is still early and we got 4 committments. Our point total will not change much unless we get a surprise get.


Or any of the kids get downgraded or injured.



WOW! What does this class become if JB signs? Top 5? Top 3? This Top 9 ranking has to get his attention. Of course by the time these kids are actively involved and drawing national attention on the court, it may 2, 3, or even 4 years in.



Bib, this could be asterisk city--legitimate asterisks even. You might even get asterisk drunk.



I wonder if all these kids would put off a mission for a year to pl at together with JB?? Isn't Hartsock supposed to go right out of HS?



Mix 2013 with 2012 class and the shelves are pretty stocked!



Happy days in Cougar Town!!!
S
scott715
With JP it would be top 20 and that is about it. Too many top 100 kids spread amoung the top 20 programs.
N
nuk13
That sight didn't give any information on BYU. Who are the kids that are coming. I can only think of Emery and Haws.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
dmcougar wrote:
I wonder if all these kids would put off a mission for a year to pl at together with JB??


I don't think Rose would stand for that. He's a hard-liner on mission commitments--if you want to go on a mission, you tell him when you are going and that's when you go. If you tell him you aren't going on a mission, he will hold you to your word even if you have a change of heart and tell you to keep your word and go after you finish with basketball.



With the shorter roster in hoops, Rose can't shuffle the uncertainty as easily as the football team can with 80+ guys.



That said, I don't think Parker is a one-and-done specimen--he needs at least 2 years IMHO.
S
scott715
The kids are Emery, Mika, Hatsock and Shaw I think. The kids can all tell Rose that they are playing an extra year before leaving. They might be really good one year and then struggle the year after.
C
Cougs_Rule
snoscythe wrote:
I wonder if all these kids would put off a mission for a year to pl at together with JB??


I don't think Rose would stand for that. He's a hard-liner on mission commitments--if you want to go on a mission, you tell him when you are going and that's when you go. If you tell him you aren't going on a mission, he will hold you to your word even if you have a change of heart and tell you to keep your word and go after you finish with basketball.



With the shorter roster in hoops, Rose can't shuffle the uncertainty as easily as the football team can with 80+ guys.



That said, I don't think Parker is a one-and-done specimen--he needs at least 2 years IMHO.


Makes sense about the mission commitments.



And while I tend to believe you are right about 2 years, that would also lean him toward a mission. And if he does one year before and one after, not sure he would have his legs back. And that would be the case wherever he chooses to attend. It will be very interesting, particularly since he is becoming so visible about his religion and mission. I wonder if he is boxing himself in a little. Although maybe he is too grounded to be too concerned about what others think.
C
Cougs_Rule
scott715 wrote:
With JP it would be top 20 and that is about it. Too many top 100 kids spread amoung the top 20 programs.


Am I missing something or are you??? If its already ranked 9th.....
S
scott715
The other teams will be adding commitments and they will pass us. Kentucky lost 5 or more players and they will replace them with top 100 players.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Makes sense. But not all 20 or even top 10 recruiting classes will collect multiple top 20 players in the country. Maybe Kentucky, Kansas, duke, UCONN, depending on number of departures from the team. Beyond that, a #1 recruit and #56 recruit or whatever Emery is and if any of the others bump into top 100, it will at least be top 20 and maybe top 10.

Important thing is that it will at least be top 20 as is. If Jabari commits.....!!!!!!!
C
Cougarbib
Numbers and asterisks and asteroids aside, this is a very good BYU class relatively speaking and has the potential to become the best ever with Jabari Parker.



But, then, the last class I recall being loaded like that had Shawn Bradley, Ryan Cuff, and one other big time local recruit who were all soon gone due to perceptions of their own greatness. Cuff felt ripped off for sharing playing time with Randy Reid. Then he sat out a year transferring to ASU. Then sat on the bench before transferring to Weber State and eventually enjoying a decent senior season - won't find his name on any NBA roster.



Hopefully these guys all come and stick and pay their dues and work hard.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
nuk13 wrote:
That sight didn't give any information on BYU. Who are the kids that are coming. I can only think of Emery and Haws.

Haws comes a year after Emery.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
snoscythe wrote:
I wonder if all these kids would put off a mission for a year to pl at together with JB??


I don't think Rose would stand for that. He's a hard-liner on mission commitments--if you want to go on a mission, you tell him when you are going and that's when you go. If you tell him you aren't going on a mission, he will hold you to your word even if you have a change of heart and tell you to keep your word and go after you finish with basketball.



With the shorter roster in hoops, Rose can't shuffle the uncertainty as easily as the football team can with 80+ guys.



That said, I don't think Parker is a one-and-done specimen--he needs at least 2 years IMHO.


Completely agree. Parker is very very skilled, but his athleticism is suspect compared to other top tier D1 athletes. He is not a one and done guy; and if he is, he's not going to be a Cougar. This is a mature thoughtful kid and while he has vocalized his desire at NBA stardom, he also has a good head on his shoulders and maybe a bigger heart. I think we will stay in the sweepstakes for some time and he'll eventually have to chose between Duke, Kansas, and us. The more and more I hear about him, the less I think he's a Kentucky guy.
C
craigoscarson
kjjson wrote:
Up to #6 currently. As has been said, I doubt it lasts with how many players there are still to commit, but still........ http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/classrankings?classyear=2013&classmonth=8&rank=6


The hoops world knows about Mika and Emery, but Shaw, Hartsock, and Worthington will have some say about our ultimate ranking.



Hartsock is a lethal scorer (better outside threat than Noah, but that threat is mitgated by the fact that he can't score at will inside, like his older brother did this year and did in high school at the tune of 30pts/gm...but still needs to fill out and Shaw/Worthington are guys that conceivably are still growing, but have no problem getting up and down the court athletically, and both can take up space physically (they aren't going to get pushed around). This seems to be a huge part of Dave Rose's big man recruiting. If they can't get back on defense, they can't play for BYU.



The longer the hoops world's eye is on BYU (mostly because of Jabari, but also because Lone Peak is a top 5 prep team this year) the more eyes will be on Hartsock, Shaw, and Worthington. If they perform, this class will stay in the top 10. If they perform and jabari comes on board, this is a top 5 class.
S
SenorCougar
I can"t find the Utes on the list...Why?
S
saywhat
I don't understand why these recruiting class rankings even matter for BYU fans, except for the hype. Most of those kids in a certain class won't even play together counting missions. If Emery and Hartsock go right out of high school they won't be back until 2015 then could possibly redshirt a year still. Rankings are based on those kids coming in together and playing. That doesn't happen at BYU.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.