Archived Topic

Offseason Conditioning

by SpiffCoug · 6/12/2012

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Not sure what to make of this. Seems the same type of article we see every year. The guys are working harder than ever. We're doing some new things that will really help us. We're really excited to get going.



Blah. Blah. Blah. Hopefully they are working harder than ever.



I did find the quote about Riley working hard not for himself but for his teammates. Hopefully that is the case and it is contagious.
C
Cougs_Rule
When will coaches figure out that it is far better to under-promise and over-deliver? I really like BD, and maybe he is a nice balance to the more stoic BM. But why show your cards before putting them down-- and I'm not even talking about holding some edge over competitors. To sell tickets? Because other coaches aren't buying it.

But maybe the hordes of fans who demand to know need something. And I guess BD is being a straight shooter and calling it like he sees it. So ya, guarded optimism might be good advice.



Now after all the jawing I've given RN over the years, I will say this. At least "the problem" or major weakness has been identified and I hope RN is using his leadership with a leash around everyone of those hogs and showing how to get fabulous abs, which for an Olineman is just the absence of fatty abs.



One more curious phrase from the article: "a new conditioning program with tweaks". :roll:

Is that a new program that we didn't like so we tweaked it? Or the old program with tweaks to try and look brand new? Maybe ihe Olinemen got placed on the Michelle Obama weight loss program. :)
D
Dwight
At least the starting QB is attending the off season conditioning workouts this year. Is KVN in Provo, or conditioning the same way he did last summer in Reno? Cuz that seemed to work out pretty good for him.
N
northerncougar
dmcougar wrote:
When will coaches figure out that it is far better to under-promise and over-deliver? I really like BD, and maybe he is a nice balance to the more stoic BM. But why show your cards before putting them down-- and I'm not even talking about holding some edge over competitors. To sell tickets? Because other coaches aren't buying it.

But maybe the hordes of fans who demand to know need something. And I guess BD is being a straight shooter and calling it like he sees it. So ya, guarded optimism might be good advice.



Now after all the jawing I've given RN over the years, I will say this. At least "the problem" or major weakness has been identified and I hope RN is using his leadership with a leash around everyone of those hogs and showing how to get fabulous abs, which for an Olineman is just the absence of fatty abs.



One more curious phrase from the article: "a new conditioning program with tweaks". :roll:

Is that a new program that we didn't like so we tweaked it? Or the old program with tweaks to try and look brand new? Maybe ihe Olinemen got placed on the Michelle Obama weight loss program. :)


As long as Bronco is the head coach, it will never change. Good or bad, it is what it is with him.



To quote my teenage daughter: "Whatever..."



I hope this article is true, but as I told my son last night, I am a skeptic when it comes to BYU football after the past two years. I will believe it when I see it, and don't believe anything the coaching staff says in public anymore.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Dwight wrote:
At least the starting QB is attending the off season conditioning workouts this year. Is KVN in Provo, or conditioning the same way he did last summer in Reno? Cuz that seemed to work out pretty good for him.

How long before someone cracks a joke here about "no wonder KVN wasn't a starter?"



More seriously - if anyone knows when and where these take place - I would live to go take a look.



The OL has definitely been called out by the coaches this season - it will be interesting to see if they can and do respond.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
Kajdin
Don't know exactly what they're doing but my roommate (one of the O-line) comes back from practice about ready to puke almost everyday. And he's not exactly fat (not like certain O-line members from last year).
B
byucougar1
Reading between the lines - Doman want's leaner, faster more athletic OL. He is getting results. I this continues, look for him to implement the new offense that is patterned somewhat after the Ducks (ie no huddle - quick strike). This set requires well conditioned athletes and our OL was too big, too slow to incorporate this style for 2 minutes let alone the entire game. Be prepared for a different look this year as a result of the different focus on training of the players - especially the OL.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


I hate these "rah rah" hype-em-up interview articles. Let's see them prove it on the field for once.
V
vancouvercougar
I used to look at the weight of the opposing D-line and compare it to our O-line. I don't do that anymore because 50 pounds of fat doesn't make you a better blocker or protector.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Leaner and meaner o-line would be awesome.



If half of what Doman is saying is true then it sounds like there ought to be some improvement. I've swallowed the hype pill one two many times in the last few years to believe it, though.
T
trueblue72
A leaner line would be nice, but a meaner line would be even better



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Anyone not yet on the cut-the-crap-and-win-some-big-games-first bandwagon is still welcome to join!
B
Brayden Green
HEY GUYS! DID YOU HEAR THIS! THE BEST OFFSEASON EVER!!! NOW WE WON'T HAVE TO START OUT 2 and 2 for the first 4 games!!!!!!



<<fast forward to September 21st.>>



Rats! They fooled me again!
C
CougarClaw
Mars wrote:


I hate these "rah rah" hype-em-up interview articles. Let's see them prove it on the field for once.


it's the offseason. Would you rather they printed nothing and went with no story until the fall?



At least we know they've been examining and trying to tweak the offseason conditioning.
Advertisement
M
Mars
CougarClaw wrote:
it's the offseason. Would you rather they printed nothing and went with no story until the fall? At least we know they've been examining and trying to tweak the offseason conditioning.

Same article, minus the foolish quote.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.