Archived Topic

QB's in 2012

by scott715 · 6/4/2012

Advertisement
T
tmoney35
I didn't realize that Hill had been so impressive during spring camp. Was that discussed here and I just missed it?



It'll be interesting to see if Hill gets to see the field during the Weber or WAC games. Either he gets playing time to prepare him for the future, or Lark gets in because he's "paid his dues". I sure hope it's not the latter.
G
Guest
I really hope we red shirt him. I just don't buy the idea that a freshman who gets 6 snaps to hand off the ball over the course of a year is better prepared than a redshirt who runs the scout offense every week against the #1 defense. Is the value of those 6 snaps in garbage time really worth a whole year of eligibility?
F
frdbtr
hawkwing wrote:
I really hope we red shirt him. I just don't buy the idea that a freshman who gets 6 snaps to hand off the ball over the course of a year is better prepared than a redshirt who runs the scout offense every week against the #1 defense. Is the value of those 6 snaps in garbage time really worth a whole year of eligibility?


+1 Agree 100%
S
scott715
I could see him getting a whole quarte in a few games. I agree that a year of Scout team whould be good.
Advertisement
S
scott715
I was wondering if Heaps had gotten more playing time when RN got hurt at the end, if he would have not transfered. I don't like the situation that we will be in for 2013 season. One of our freshman need to get game action this year. Perhaps Olson should get the opportunity this year. He played a year before his mission.
K
Kajdin
hawkwing wrote:
I really hope we red shirt him. I just don't buy the idea that a freshman who gets 6 snaps to hand off the ball over the course of a year is better prepared than a redshirt who runs the scout offense every week against the #1 defense. Is the value of those 6 snaps in garbage time really worth a whole year of eligibility?


^ This let him run the scout team with no green jersey. Worked out brilliantly for Max, in fact lets do the same exact thing. Let Hill run the scout team, and on gameday watch from the booth with Doman.
S
SpiffCoug
scott715 wrote:
I was wondering if Heaps had gotten more playing time when RN got hurt at the end, if he would have not transfered. I don't like the situation that we will be in for 2013 season. One of our freshman need to get game action this year. Perhaps Olson should get the opportunity this year. He played a year before his mission.


He essentially played two games at the end of the year. His mind was made up shortly after the Utah State game, is my guess.There wasn't anything the coaches could have done to have convinced him to stay -- short of saying he'd be the starter in 2012 after apologizing profusely for benching him earlier in the year.
S
Stirfry
frdbtr wrote:
I really hope we red shirt him. I just don't buy the idea that a freshman who gets 6 snaps to hand off the ball over the course of a year is better prepared than a redshirt who runs the scout offense every week against the #1 defense. Is the value of those 6 snaps in garbage time really worth a whole year of eligibility?


+1 Agree 100%


Is there a reason he can't run the scout team and play meaningful minutes? (I really don't know) I agree that the worst case scenario is to burn a year while only handing the ball off a handful of times. But I'd prefer he be allowed to run the full offense in mop up time in real games and play the scout team. I'd love to have a 4 year senior but if he's a 4 year senior wouldn't that limit T Mangum to only 3 years as the starter?



I don't want to throw Hill to the Wolves in 2013. I've been through 2010 once and I'd prefer not to do it again.
G
Guest
Stirfry wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I really hope we red shirt him. I just don't buy the idea that a freshman who gets 6 snaps to hand off the ball over the course of a year is better prepared than a redshirt who runs the scout offense every week against the #1 defense. Is the value of those 6 snaps in garbage time really worth a whole year of eligibility?


+1 Agree 100%


Is there a reason he can't run the scout team and play meaningful minutes? (I really don't know) I agree that the worst case scenario is to burn a year while only handing the ball off a handful of times. But I'd prefer he be allowed to run the full offense in mop up time in real games and play the scout team. I'd love to have a 4 year senior but if he's a 4 year senior wouldn't that limit T Mangum to only 3 years as the starter?



I don't want to throw Hill to the Wolves in 2013. I've been through 2010 once and I'd prefer not to do it again.


I don't think you'll see any BYU QB ever run the full offense in mop up time. I'm not sure I can even think of many schools that allow their backups to do that. So in reality we're down to the two options.



As for whether a QB could be the backup and run the scout team, I don't think that works because of the way the weeks preparation has to go. The QB and his backup(s) have to study and prepare a lot differently than the scout team QB does.



We've also seen a year on the scout team work for an incoming QB. Max Hall did a year stint as a redshirt QB on the scout team and came in and started off to a very good start.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
tmoney35 wrote:
I didn't realize that Hill had been so impressive during spring camp. Was that discussed here and I just missed it?



It'll be interesting to see if Hill gets to see the field during the Weber or WAC games. Either he gets playing time to prepare him for the future, or Lark gets in because he's "paid his dues". I sure hope it's not the latter.


Lark's Legacy "In The Way"



Sounds eerily reminiscent of Nelson's Legacy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
trueblue72
I think what we see is both Hill and Olsen redshirt. With Riley, Lark and Munns at the number 3 giving both young qbs the chance the learn from the booth on gameday and get tons of reps in practice. However if Riley were to get hurt I would not be surprised to see Hill wear the pads on the sideline not fully pull the redshirt, but be padded up just in case.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
cmurdoch
Is that a normal thing? To have redshirting quarterbacks sitting up in the booth with the offensive coordinator? That is a fabulous idea. I love it. But i've never heard of that before. Anyone?
S
SpiffCoug
cmurdoch wrote:
Is that a normal thing? To have redshirting quarterbacks sitting up in the booth with the offensive coordinator? That is a fabulous idea. I love it. But i've never heard of that before. Anyone?

I seem to remember Hall sitting up in the booth when he was RS'ing.
S
Stirfry
hawkwing wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I really hope we red shirt him. I just don't buy the idea that a freshman who gets 6 snaps to hand off the ball over the course of a year is better prepared than a redshirt who runs the scout offense every week against the #1 defense. Is the value of those 6 snaps in garbage time really worth a whole year of eligibility?


+1 Agree 100%


Is there a reason he can't run the scout team and play meaningful minutes? (I really don't know) I agree that the worst case scenario is to burn a year while only handing the ball off a handful of times. But I'd prefer he be allowed to run the full offense in mop up time in real games and play the scout team. I'd love to have a 4 year senior but if he's a 4 year senior wouldn't that limit T Mangum to only 3 years as the starter?



I don't want to throw Hill to the Wolves in 2013. I've been through 2010 once and I'd prefer not to do it again.


I don't think you'll see any BYU QB ever run the full offense in mop up time. I'm not sure I can even think of many schools that allow their backups to do that. So in reality we're down to the two options.



As for whether a QB could be the backup and run the scout team, I don't think that works because of the way the weeks preparation has to go. The QB and his backup(s) have to study and prepare a lot differently than the scout team QB does.



We've also seen a year on the scout team work for an incoming QB. Max Hall did a year stint as a redshirt QB on the scout team and came in and started off to a very good start.


Running the full offense was a stretch on my part. Being allowed to throw the ball though is necessary if he gets in. If they just put him in like they did last year with Lark where he just hands off all the time I don't see how that amounts to game time experiance. That would be a waste.



Munns is only a junior this year, right? Is it just a forgone conclusion that Hill will be the starter next year?
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Stirfry wrote:
Stirfry wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I really hope we red shirt him. I just don't buy the idea that a freshman who gets 6 snaps to hand off the ball over the course of a year is better prepared than a redshirt who runs the scout offense every week against the #1 defense. Is the value of those 6 snaps in garbage time really worth a whole year of eligibility?


+1 Agree 100%


Is there a reason he can't run the scout team and play meaningful minutes? (I really don't know) I agree that the worst case scenario is to burn a year while only handing the ball off a handful of times. But I'd prefer he be allowed to run the full offense in mop up time in real games and play the scout team. I'd love to have a 4 year senior but if he's a 4 year senior wouldn't that limit T Mangum to only 3 years as the starter?



I don't want to throw Hill to the Wolves in 2013. I've been through 2010 once and I'd prefer not to do it again.


I don't think you'll see any BYU QB ever run the full offense in mop up time. I'm not sure I can even think of many schools that allow their backups to do that. So in reality we're down to the two options.



As for whether a QB could be the backup and run the scout team, I don't think that works because of the way the weeks preparation has to go. The QB and his backup(s) have to study and prepare a lot differently than the scout team QB does.



We've also seen a year on the scout team work for an incoming QB. Max Hall did a year stint as a redshirt QB on the scout team and came in and started off to a very good start.


Running the full offense was a stretch on my part. Being allowed to throw the ball though is necessary if he gets in. If they just put him in like they did last year with Lark where he just hands off all the time I don't see how that amounts to game time experiance. That would be a waste.



Munns is only a junior this year, right? Is it just a forgone conclusion that Hill will be the starter next year?


Before BYU landed several good to great QB recruits, many started to assume after Jake Heaps announced that he would transfer, that Munns would finally get his shot. That sentiment among fans waned fast.



Bold Bibster prediction:



Although a senior in 2013, many fans will figuratively put an * by his name this season - figuratively only, of course - the asterisk will look much like the metaphorical asterisk already placed by Nelson and Lark's names.



It signifies - In The Way Of Someone or Something



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
You mean like this?



Riley Nelson {*}



;)
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
You mean like this?



Riley Nelson {*}



;)


That looks nice. But maybe they should just spell it out - so that nobody misses it



Figurative, Metaphorical Asterisk - or something like that. But your suggestion looks really nice.



If I had computer access - I would post a poll right now for BYU QB that was Most In The Way.



There have been several viewed that way my many fans.



Maybe honorable mention should be given to the guy who was In The Way of Riley Nelson in 2009 or so that volunteered to give up his seat on the Bus to RN thus giving RN a few reps to position him more solidly in the way of Jake Heaps.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
The Munns' sentiment died real quick when Munns got hurt for spring and couldn't participate.
C
Cougarbib
I would love to see Munns rise from the ashes - figuratively speaking.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.