Archived Topic

What i think about the rivalry ending.

by TBurg Coug · 5/28/2012

Advertisement
T
TBurg Coug
I say good riddance to the pukes. i really could care less if we play them every year. if there to scared to play us then thats their problem. i say we go with Boise St. or Notre Dame as the new rivalry game. Alot more exposure and better recruiting will come because Utah is already one of the Pac none doormats. Screw Kwhitt and the rest of em. :)
S
scott715
I'm okay with it ending. Things got too out of hand so this should calm things down between the two fan bases. We will replace the game with a similar SOS team so it won't hurt us (September games are easier to schedule). This move will unmotivate their fan base, so I expect them to come back to us in a few years.
C
Cougarbib
They want 2 for 1 and may be bluffing to try to get us to agree to one or a 1 and done at their place. They see us doing that for people like Ole Miss and want in on it.



If we have to do that to keep the rivalry going we should just say no and move on. We should say no to everyone else as well. It is stupid.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
I would never agree to a 2 for 1 with the Yewts. That speaks to their inflated ego. Let them go. There is no real upside for us to play the Yewts now anyway. I would schedule another PAC-? team and just plough around the Yewts. Good riddance. The only thing I liked about playing them was beating them. Other than that - see ya!
K
KingCoug
scott715 wrote:
I'm okay with it ending. Things got too out of hand so this should calm things down between the two fan bases. We will replace the game with a similar SOS team so it won't hurt us (September games are easier to schedule). This move will unmotivate their fan base, so I expect them to come back to us in a few years.


That's a good point. A significant chunk of the Yewt fan base are more appropriately called "BYU haters" than real Ute fans. The rivalry ending would take a lot of wind out of their sails.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Amen, amen, and amen.



If we ever accept a 2 for 1, I will put a bag over my head and start cheering for UVU



I love and laugh at the thought that they will lose some of their fan base haters. I don't think we will lose any byu fans, but maybe we will. One less championship pop. No state champ. Maybe it will hurt us more than I think. More like a mild hurt.
G
Guest
I have a feeling it will only hasten the demise of the Utah program. Add in Sunday games in the next few years and we will see a huge drop off in the utes fan base.
V
vancouvercougar
dmcougar wrote:
Amen, amen, and amen.



If we ever accept a 2 for 1, I will put a bag over my head and start cheering for UVU



I love and laugh at the thought that they will lose some of their fan base haters. I don't think we will lose any byu fans, but maybe we will. One less championship pop. No state champ. Maybe it will hurt us more than I think. More like a mild hurt.


We can still be state champs. If we we beat USU, & if the :utard: forfeit because they refuse to play us--we would be state champs by default.
C
Cougarbib
This is why we should schedule AZ, ASU, Colo, WSU, OSU in particular and maybe even CAL, UCLA, and UW. Close by. Fan interest. Interesting games. And some bragging right if we beat teams and U loses to those teams. It is almost like being in the PAC 12 in that regard.



Load up on PAC and continue beating them as has been our recent trend.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
Fact is, teams we all wanted to come to LES, like USC, UCLA, ASU, etc, will ply Utah annually. Utah gets 9 of those games, while we get three in 2012( Utah, OrSt, Wazzou). Utah no longer needs this game because they get a PAC home slate, while we struggle for November games.



We do not need Utah in September either. We can schedule fine then. So unless Utah will play us in October or later, the game will fade.



I would love to see this become the annual conference weekend Friday game. That would be ideal.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
I think it sucks. It's everything that is bad about the BCS. You play to win but you play more for the competition and I'd take losing to the Utes 1/2 the time if it meant still playing them. College football is supposed to be about entertainment. I'd be fine if looking at their schedule and seeing that they play 5 PAC road games the years they're supposed to be in Provo we agreed to play them in SLC as a one time thing to change the timing. Anything more than that though we need to say no to.



If Utah ends the rivalry I'd never schedule them again if I was BYU. We can get bigger teams then they are in September and I'd be shocked to see them be willing to be the conference weekend game. My wife works at the U and the comments she hears about BYU from the faculty are incredibly ignorant. They'd see playing us the Friday of conference weekend as some sort of giving into the church.



I don't think it matters though. It seems pretty clear the Utes want out.
C
Cougarbib
Lawboy wrote:
Fact is, teams we all wanted to come to LES, like USC, UCLA, ASU, etc, will ply Utah annually. Utah gets 9 of those games, while we get three in 2012( Utah, OrSt, Wazzou). Utah no longer needs this game because they get a PAC home slate, while we struggle for November games.



We do not need Utah in September either. We can schedule fine then. So unless Utah will play us in October or later, the game will fade.



I would love to see this become the annual conference weekend Friday game. That would be ideal.

I agree they do not need it and probably are better off to play Weber State - so where is the logic in trying to make demands about when we will or will not play. We need to focus what little bargaining power we have on WHERE not WHEN. They want a 2 fer 1.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Isola
First off, did I miss some official announcement?



As for the rivalry, I don't like how bitter it has become. I like the fierce competition, but I don't like the bitterness. I would rather the rivalry take a break than keep it that bitter.



As for a 2:1, forget about it. I understand that we ask USU for 2:1s but their stadium is half our size. Oregon State has the same size stadium as Utah and they didn't ask for a 2:1. Arizona's stadium seats 10K more and they did 1:1.
C
CougarClaw
Isola wrote:
First off, did I miss some official announcement?






yeah. did I miss something other than Kwhitt's radio comments saying he wasn't a fan of continuing the series?
C
Cougarbib
I have seen no official announcement. Posturing by KWhit has stored the smoldering embers and reignited the fire or is that ire of Cougar fans.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:
I have a feeling it will only hasten the demise of the Utah program. Add in Sunday games in the next few years and we will see a huge drop off in the utes fan base.


I will keep my fingers crossed. We can only hope the Yewtah program declines. 8)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.