Archived Topic

Sep 15: A Game for the Ages

by mizzoucoug · 5/28/2012

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Sep 15th we play Utah for likely the last time in the storied rivarly (unless something drastic changes).



I for one hope the team and Bronco realize how much hangs on this game. It will be our final clash and last chance to determine who big brother really is. Utah is doing all the talking these days thanks to 54-10 and other recent success. In their minds, they are the premier program in Utah (if not the West) and are beginning to view us as just another non-BCS team. Now I generally don't care about the rivalry much, but our program is going to be judged by recruits based on our final in-state performance.



The loser of this game keeps the taste in their mouth for a long time. If Utah beats us again I think it actually validates their status as the best program in the state. (The last 2 years we have had the better team but have looked pathetic and unmotivated as usual.) If BYU wins we put them back in their place and on their home turf no less. That would be a sweet and welcome feeling.



As I said I don't live in Utah and don't care much for the rivalry but I think I understand what this means to Cougar fans out there. This game is so important. Do our boys finally wake up and determine to shove the Utes around like we should or do we play dead again for the @th year in a row because "It's just another game?"



Not to mention the waning fanhood (yes it is happening) due to no conference invites and weak scheduling. I do not endorse anyone's failing faith in the team, but I understand that a game like this will make or break many. This is the game where, BYU as a program, will decide which path they are on. Are they a non-BCS pretender for the back pages or a team that is truly on the rise toward competing for a national championship?



I am nervous to find out. So all I can say is that I hope the players and coaches view this opportunity as I do. Nothing else will define BYU football like the game on September 15th. For the sake of football's future at BYU they have got to get this one done.
C
Cougs_Rule
NOw how many folks would take a win at Utah if it meant a loss at BSU? Sure you can hope for both. But sell out for this one. And yes, some player will ultimately say, it's just another game. Where's Max or John when we need them? Well, instead of just another rivalry game with Utah, this would indeed qualify as a signature win for Riley. Good news is, he won't treat it like just another game.
C
Cougs_Rule
Posted the entry below on the other thread, but probably belongs in both.



Utah will not fold in their last game vs byu at home. In the famous words of Jason Scukanec, "it's going to be a slobber-knocker."

Bronco won't have to state what's on the line. I'm not sure Riley, who is an Aggie at his roots, has the hatred for Utah that say a Max Hall possessed, but he has game and he will get the significance.

Let's hope the Oline channels their inner Jason and rips some heads off. Because rest assured, Utah will be punching us in the face, through our helmets.

Things in the stands should be mayhem. Look for a lot of security, a lot of beer chucking, fbomb dropping from the Utes and a lot of picture taking and beer dodging and maybe even a little colorful language from byu fans.

The outlandish behavior will convince officials at each school that it was the right thing to cancel this rivalry. I'm tempted to go just to watch the spectacle in the stands, but I'm afraid I would be in the middle of a scrum myself and miss the game.

Probably a great game for ESPN And Gameday to come to In terms of the intensity and end of rivalry context. But the state of Utah would not be happy with the embarrassment that this spectacle will become. Utah fans will be rabid as dogs!



Great time to break out the Haka? Have the team face the byu section with a shield of players blocking the view, but enough to get the Utes ticked off, start a few fights and get a few folks kicked out and most importantly byu fired up and ready to Battle Royale.
K
KingCoug
Bronco & Co. need to use the week of the Weber State game to prep for the Yewts.
C
Cougarbib
KingCoug wrote:
Bronco & Co. need to use the week of the Weber State game to prep for the Yewts.

No - no - no - no no! Did I say no? Why disrespect an opponent like Weber State that way - when you could -



Just disrespect all opponents for the entire season, put a U helmet on the tackling dummies dressed in U attire and prepare for Utah the entire off-season and early season. And if that means putting a Red U in all of the urinals in the locker room and on campus - oh wait



That is bad taste for a Church School - skip the U-rinal idea. Maybe serve U shaped brownies with red and white frosting in the cafeteria and vending machines so BYU students can eat Utah for lunch every day until Sept 15. No! Wait! Serve every item in the cafeteria in the shape of a U. Some students might not like brownies.



Change the "The World Is Our Campus" sign to "The U Is Our Lunch".



Oh - and wear Blue to the game and outnumber the Utes in their own stadium. Scalp the tickets. Cast aside the normally Mormon tight fiscal policy and spend whatever it takes to be there. Epic.



The only problem here - is - the off chance the flUkes win. That would be painful - given that it was not "Just Another Game".



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.