C
CougarbibI got reflecting on Gifford Nielsen - a Seventy - coming to Las Vegas to speak and sent a note to my BYU Law School son interning in Australia to give context to remind him of Elder Nielsen not being sure how much detail he would know since it was before his birth - but he is a huge BYU fan and has heard and read it all.
So I ended up mentioning that Gary Sheide got a brief NFL look, didn't mention Virgil Carter because that was mid sixties and before Lavell took over, and that after Sheide, without a break in succession, Nielsen, Wilson, McMahon, Young, and Bosco all got drafted and earned pay checks. Bosco never recovered from a shoulder injury his senior year - or may have lasted longer than the two seasons he was on the payroll with the Packers.
I stopped there - because the string was broken before Detmer came along - then a break - and we put a lefty in the CFL when his dad bought a team - Feterik. Then another gap before Sarkisian. Gap. Doman. Then another gap before Beck and Hall. And that string is already broken.
That is the main difference. I don't know that those early QBs were always better athletes than we get now, but BYU was ahead of its time and those guys thus overachieved. Other programs caught up.
It would be nice to reel off 6 NFL QBs in a row again. I do not expect Riley Nelson - and I love Riley - to start that string. Maybe the next guy will.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
So I ended up mentioning that Gary Sheide got a brief NFL look, didn't mention Virgil Carter because that was mid sixties and before Lavell took over, and that after Sheide, without a break in succession, Nielsen, Wilson, McMahon, Young, and Bosco all got drafted and earned pay checks. Bosco never recovered from a shoulder injury his senior year - or may have lasted longer than the two seasons he was on the payroll with the Packers.
I stopped there - because the string was broken before Detmer came along - then a break - and we put a lefty in the CFL when his dad bought a team - Feterik. Then another gap before Sarkisian. Gap. Doman. Then another gap before Beck and Hall. And that string is already broken.
That is the main difference. I don't know that those early QBs were always better athletes than we get now, but BYU was ahead of its time and those guys thus overachieved. Other programs caught up.
It would be nice to reel off 6 NFL QBs in a row again. I do not expect Riley Nelson - and I love Riley - to start that string. Maybe the next guy will.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

