Archived Topic

Funny story about my son and the U of U

by jonnylingo · 5/15/2012

Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
So my son is 7 years old. he wants to be a doctor. he hates the university of utah. I am not sure why :evil: but he does.



so my brother in law was over and he had him alone and told him that if he wants to be a doctor that the only medical school in utah is the university of utah and that byu doesn't have one. this upset him beyond words. i came in an he was crying and he wouldn't tell me why.



i had to pry it out of him that he was all of the sudden put in inner turmoil that to reach one of his goals he was going to have to be a u of u student. i guess it didn't dawn on him that he could go to another medical school. he was very distraught.



i had to laugh and explain to him that the u of u medical school is a good school and it is okay to go there. I pointed out that his grandpa went there was was still a byu fan and that it was okay. It seemed to provide relief. i just thought i would share because it was so funny. I think i might be a bad parent if my kid thinks it is that bad to attend the university of utah. :crazy: I blame it on my wife.
G
Guest
I would say that this indicates you're a good parent. I hope that my children all hate the U of U. But any kid can go to BYU for undergrad and then if they don't get accepted to other medical schools go to the U's. It's actually a decent program and you'll only run into a few rabidly anti-mormon professors.
S
scott715
You have a good wife. Keep it up!
V
vancouvercougar
My son is a true blue BYU fan. He was talking to my brother (who is gay and lives with his partner) about law school. The partner told my son "you could live with us to save money and go to the U of U law school"



My son said "I don't think my dad would approve."



The partner was offended and said "is your dad a bigot against gays?"



My son said "I don't think so. We just hate the U"
F
frdbtr
vancouvercougar wrote:
My son is a true blue BYU fan. He was talking to my brother (who is gay and lives with his partner) about law school. The partner told my son "you could live with us to save money and go to the U of U law school"



My son said "I don't think my dad would approve."



The partner was offended and said "is your dad a bigot against gays?"



My son said "I don't think so. We just hate the U"


LOL! Now that is what I call acceptable bigotry.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
My boys make smile every RSL game day when they see me in my red jersey say, "We don't cheer for teams in red - unless it's Real Salt Lake."



Some say it's brainwashing your kids to teach them what teams to cheer for, I say it's innoculating them against the wrong and bad teams.
A
AmmonCougar1
SpiffCoug wrote:
My boys make smile every RSL game day when they see me in my red jersey say, "We don't cheer for teams in red - unless it's Real Salt Lake."



Some say it's brainwashing your kids to teach them what teams to cheer for, I say it's innoculating them against the wrong and bad teams.




Call it what you want but we don't wear red in our house (except occassionally at Christmas)



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
J
jonnylingo
vancouvercougar wrote:
My son is a true blue BYU fan. He was talking to my brother (who is gay and lives with his partner) about law school. The partner told my son "you could live with us to save money and go to the U of U law school"



My son said "I don't think my dad would approve."



The partner was offended and said "is your dad a bigot against gays?"



My son said "I don't think so. We just hate the U"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
C
CrimsonCoug
These are great stories. I told this one a few years ago over on CougarBlue, but it's fun to relive.



In 2006 my oldest son was 3 years old. My wife--lovely though she is--had invited a couple that had just moved into the ward over to our place for dinner on a Saturday night without 1) checking to BYU football schedule or 2) checking the affiliation of our guests.



As fate would have it, it was the day of the BYU-Utah game, and the guy was a Ute who came from a long line of cougar-haters.



On the day of the game he was civil by Ute standards, but still let me know his heritage and was pretty smug during the back and forth of that epic game. Worse, it made me be civil during the game--an incredibly difficult feat with how exciting it was.



Finally on the last drive of the game I was on the edge of my seat.

On the last play, Beck-to-Harline (I'm pretty sure he's still open), I leaped off the chair so high I bloodied my knuckles on the ceiling (I'm 6'; the ceiling is 10')and let all of that pent up emotion go as I ran around pumping my fists whooping and hollering.



The Ute just sat there, slack-jawed.



Then my little boy came bouncing in to see what had made me go bezerk and asked, "Daddy! Daddy! Did the good guys win?"



"Yes, son," I answered, looking at the dumb(founded) Ute, "the GOOD guys won!"







"Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it" Prov 22:6
M
Mars


I guess your kid will have to go to med school out of the state.
Advertisement
F
Florwood
Talk about being conflicted if we ever play Houston--red cougars...
1
1967cougar
Mars wrote:


I guess your kid will have to go to med school out of the state.

My thoughts exactly.
J
jvquarterback
1967cougar wrote:


I guess your kid will have to go to med school out of the state.

My thoughts exactly.


I am sorry to admit I sent an application to the U for med school. A month later I got accepted at the University of Minnesota and withdrew my application at the U. I didn't go but I still have a warm spot for MN in my heart for them as they were the first to allow me to tell those utes where to go.
1
1967cougar
I had a son who tried out for the track team at the Y. He didn't get a scholarship. So he tried the U and got one. I did two things: 1) cut him out of my will and 2) told him, "That's okay son. Not everyone is good enough to wear the White and Blue." Neither of us has forgiven the other yet. But we still love each other.
N
northerncougar
At my sons football game when he was about 9 a typical Utah fall storm rolled through where the temperature drops about 15 to 20 degrees in just a few minutes. When we left for the game it was relatively mild, but by the end of the game it was snowing and the wind was blowing.



My son was standing on the sidelines at the end of the game and was visibly cold. A guy wearing a Utah jacket walked up behind him (my son couldn't see him) and asked if he would like his coat. He said sure and then turned around, saw that it was a Utah jacket and said, "No thanks. I'm okay."



Never been prouder as a father. :crazy:
Advertisement
1
1967cougar
northerncougar wrote:
At my sons football game when he was about 9 a typical Utah fall storm rolled through where the temperature drops about 15 to 20 degrees in just a few minutes. When we left for the game it was relatively mild, but by the end of the game it was snowing and the wind was blowing.



My son was standing on the sidelines at the end of the game and was visibly cold. A guy wearing a Utah jacket walked up behind him (my son couldn't see him) and asked if he would like his coat. He said sure and then turned around, saw that it was a Utah jacket and said, "No thanks. I'm okay."



Never been prouder as a father. :crazy:

This story is unrelated but was brought to mind as I read your's, Northern.



About 40 years ago I was in the Navy stationed at Charleston, South Carolina, at the Naval Weapons Depot. Our ship was docked about two miles from the front gate into the base. On one of these cold wet winter afternoons, one of my buddies had to walk home. He lived about five miles from the ship and his car had broken down. We had all offered to drive him home but he needed to leave an hour before we could. Any of you who have lived down south know how penetrating the humid cold can get - especially in a windy, snowy, icy, blustery storm.



So this kid is walking home, freezing his nay-nays off. He must have looked miserable. He had no sooner gotten off the base when a late model luxury car pulls up next to him. The driver cracks the window and asks, "Need a ride?" My friend opened the door, stuck his head into the warm cozy inviting luxurious interior of the vehicle, took a deep breath, nodded his head a bit, and said, "Nah. I'm good." He slammed the door, and continued walking.



I don't know why that amused me so. But it has continued to get a laugh out of me for these many years.
Y
Y12
Did you make it clear that there were LOTS of good medical schools he could go to besides Utah?
Y
Y12
Florwood wrote:
Talk about being conflicted if we ever play Houston--red cougars...


1. We are scheduled to play them in the next few years.



2. This conflict doesn't have to wait until then. Aug. 30 BYU plays those red WSU Cougars.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.