Archived Topic

BRONCO: In-Game Motivation Impossible

by Mars · 11/8/2009

Advertisement
M
Mars
Mendenhall has taken criticism for not having his team “fired up” against some opponents. He said it is difficult, if not impossible, to jumpstart a team emotionally once a game has started.



“I think that once the game starts that we can make schematic changes, but I don’t think I can change the motivation, I don’t think I can change how hard they play,” he said. “Nor do I think I can inspire them to be something they are not prepared to be. They prepare well, and all I try to do, and what my goal is is that I don’t have to say anything and can just watch the game because they are prepared in that manner. I don’t think I can change the players’ motivation or desire level on that day.”



http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p=5292&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
S
snoscythe
Mars wrote:
Mendenhall has taken criticism for not having his team “fired up” against some opponents. He said it is difficult, if not impossible, to jumpstart a team emotionally once a game has started.



“I think that once the game starts that we can make schematic changes, but I don’t think I can change the motivation, I don’t think I can change how hard they play,” he said. “Nor do I think I can inspire them to be something they are not prepared to be. They prepare well, and all I try to do, and what my goal is is that I don’t have to say anything and can just watch the game because they are prepared in that manner. I don’t think I can change the players’ motivation or desire level on that day.”



http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p=5292&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1


You probably should have bolded and underlined the part right in front of what you bolded: "what my goal is is that...[/u]"
M
Metallicat
Sno, context is so overrated.
G
Guest
Every single living expert on motivation agrees that it is impossible for one person to change the motivation of another person. Motivation solely comes from within. Motivating environments can and should be created to help players, but where does that happen? In preparation.
M
Metallicat
hawkwing wrote:
Every single living expert on motivation agrees that it is impossible for one person to change the motivation of another person.


Only a sith deals in absolutes. Don't make me destroy you.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Metallicat wrote:
Every single living expert on motivation agrees that it is impossible for one person to change the motivation of another person.


Only a sith deals in absolutes. Don't make me destroy you.


ABSOLUTELY every person that I have ever met has breathed air, I must be Darth Vader.
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
Every single living expert on motivation agrees that it is impossible for one person to change the motivation of another person.
Shirley you can't be serious.



Bronco must be really confused why the other 119 I-A football coaches attempt the impossible at halftime 12+ times a year. He DID seem confused after the TCU game...
S
Sammich
I'm just gonna go ahead and put this in the "What it sounds like Bronco is saying obviously isn't what he means" category, along with almost everything else he says to the media.
C
cachevalleycougar
Sammich wrote:
I'm just gonna go ahead and put this in the "What it sounds like Bronco is saying obviously isn't what he means" category, along with almost everything else he says to the media.


Except that it appears this is truly how he views it. No bulletin board material, no looking for payback, no hyping up one game over another. The players are robots and are either ready or not, but there's no chance to do something to give them an emotional or mental advantage.
A
ABYUFAN
Metallicat wrote:
Every single living expert on motivation agrees that it is impossible for one person to change the motivation of another person.


Only a sith deals in absolutes. Don't make me destroy you.


That's perhaps my favorite most ironic line ever... ONLY a Sith deals in Absolutes...... Ha ha ha Obi Wan - you're obviously a Sith!



PS yes I know how much of a geek the above post makes me.... deal with it!
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
hawkwing wrote:
Every single living expert on motivation agrees that it is impossible for one person to change the motivation of another person. Motivation solely comes from within. Motivating environments can and should be created to help players, but where does that happen? In preparation.




However, the Married ones know that changing the motovation of other people happens every day, but to do so one must have boobies.
B
BoiseBYU
ABYUFAN wrote:
Every single living expert on motivation agrees that it is impossible for one person to change the motivation of another person. Motivation solely comes from within. Motivating environments can and should be created to help players, but where does that happen? In preparation.




However, the Married ones know that changing the motovation of other people happens every day, but to do so one must have boobies.


Just ask Elizabeth Lambert
C
cachevalleycougar
ABYUFAN wrote:
Every single living expert on motivation agrees that it is impossible for one person to change the motivation of another person. Motivation solely comes from within. Motivating environments can and should be created to help players, but where does that happen? In preparation.




However, the Married ones know that changing the motovation of other people happens every day, but to do so one must have boobies.


Best CougarCorner quote to date!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.