Archived Topic

Do You Think BYU Football Needs A New Trainer?

by snoscythe · 5/12/2012

Advertisement
S
Spudman87
Yes, but only because Kevin resigned and BYU needs one. If that was not the case, I would say no. I worked with him for a short time, and have known him for much longer. He is a great trainer. He had the respect of the players and staff for a reason.
S
Schmoe
I thought Morris was great.
B
BroncoBot
I voted "what's a trainer" because I have no experience with them, don't know who trains the football team, and have only heard through the CC grapevine about how good/bad the trainers are.



Bottom line, I have no idea.
C
craigoscarson
They need a new trainer because they don't have one, so yes they need a new one
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
All I know is that I've often been disappointed with the physical progression of our players. If the trainer is the guy whose job it is to make sure they do progress during their time here, then yes, I think we needed a new one.



What's the diff between the trainer and strength/conditioning coach?
B
Brayden Green
I said yes, because they lost one.



If you asked, "Do they need a new S and C coach," my answer wouldn't change though.
S
Spudman87
In short, athletic trainers deal with the injuries and the rehab stuff. And yes, the student trainers are the "water boys" during practices and games. They don't do anything with speed and strength training outside of rehabilitation of injuries.
S
Schmoe
tmoney35 wrote:
All I know is that I've often been disappointed with the physical progression of our players. If the trainer is the guy whose job it is to make sure they do progress during their time here, then yes, I think we needed a new one.



What's the diff between the trainer and strength/conditioning coach?


The athletic trainer is the guy who deals with injuries, the one you see running out onto the field when someone is hurt. He has nothing to do with strength and conditioning or "physical progression" unless it's physically coming back from an injury. He's basically an on-field doctor.
L
Lawboy
What many BYU fans want is for BYU to get a new Strength & Conditioning Coach. New trainer was never part of the equation.



I do also know that the head medical doctor is not loved by most, and is called "Doctor Death" behind his back. His family is connected, so he stays along as he wants to.
Advertisement
M
Mars


Wake me up when http://byucougars.com/files/staff/staff-Jay-Omer.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%"> is replaced...
G
Gunk
Our players get slower...hopefully a new trianer will on that front.
B
BYULV
Lawboy wrote:

...I do also know that the head medical doctor is not loved by most, and is called "Doctor Death" behind his back. His family is connected, so he stays along as he wants to.


Do you mean the Ortho doc or one of the two sports med docs? I think I know which one you mean, but as I know 2 of the three docs fairly well, I would be surprised if it were them, they don't seem to bring out that type of ire.
G
Guest
I'm also curious as to which doctor you mean, as I have known one or two of them myself and it's always been my impression that they were well thought of.
S
Schmoe
Gunk wrote:
Our players get slower...hopefully a new trianer will on that front.


The athletic trainer deals with player injuries and helping them recover, not everyday workouts, training, etc. for normal players on a daily basis.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.