Archived Topic

If you're holding your breath for Jabari...

by HoosierCougar · 5/11/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
What an amazing young man!!



Actually after watching this, I have more hope than I did before. I gave BYU about a 2% shot at getting JB. Now I give it a 10-15% shot-which ain't much better.

Consider this. When the reporter asked about Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, JB said "or you never know about those mid-majors, they always surprise."



Why would JB even bring up mid-major? And what other possible mid-major would be on his short list if not BYU? If he doesn't go to to Kentucky or Duke, what and why else would he consider? Is he just teasing BYU fans with code talk? I'm not saying he's coming. Again, I give it 10-15%, maybe 20% at most. But it is a little conspicuous that he brought up mid-major.

If true that he wants to serve a mission, coupled with the character and press avoidance he displays, as well, not just a top five draft pick, but coach expectations that he will become a top NBA player, plus the Tebow factor of wanting to send a message to the world that it's not just about bball, money and stardom, clearly he is not going to duke or Kentucky just for the fame and media exposure.

I'm not going to be crushed if he doesn't come. But there is more than meets the eye with this kid. Regardless I'm a big fan. His mention of Scalinrini being his model, because of how grateful he is to have the opportunity to play in the nba, right after the interviewer gave him the opp to say he looked up to Dwayne Wade and LeBron. Wow! uncommon character for the top HS recruit and future probable first pick in the NBA draft.
S
SpiffCoug
The fact that Jabari hasn't eliminated BYU this late in the game is surprising and encouraging. I don't think he'll come to BYU, but the later BYU is still in the game is a good thing.
B
Brayden Green
If we can put the pieces together, and I have every confidence that Rose can, and take 1st in the WCC and get past one maybe 2 rounds in the playoff I think he comes here.



He'll fit in perfectly. I really think that the ball is in our court to get him. A couple visits from Jimmer about how good of a coach Dave Rose is couldn't hurt.



I wish Jimmer would have been given a chance to do more this year, that would have bumped up our odds even more.



Hopefully some of these bigger schools have the athletes going out to strip clubs and bringing home ladies on their trip. And we're like "This is the student ward you will be in. This is where you will go to your weekly devotionals."



I think if we have a 85% win percentage or better, and go at least 2 deep into the tourney, we have a serious chance at him. He has to hold out committing til then, though.
G
Gunk
What a great kid. Wish him all the best where ever he goes.



Would love he come to BYU.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
BlueIsBetter wrote:
If we can put the pieces together, and I have every confidence that Rose can, and take 1st in the WCC and get past one maybe 2 rounds in the playoff I think he comes here.



He'll fit in perfectly. I really think that the ball is in our court to get him. A couple visits from Jimmer about how good of a coach Dave Rose is couldn't hurt.



I wish Jimmer would have been given a chance to do more this year, that would have bumped up our odds even more.



Hopefully some of these bigger schools have the athletes going out to strip clubs and bringing home ladies on their trip. And we're like "This is the student ward you will be in. This is where you will go to your weekly devotionals."



I think if we have a 85% win percentage or better, and go at least 2 deep into the tourney, we have a serious chance at him. He has to hold out committing til then, though.




I like where you took this except for the post-season play. If that sways his decision, his criteria are a little skewed--if we consider the criteria of why he would in the end come to BYU.

His, as well as Nick's, are audacious goals (where have we heard that before? :-( )and they would be putting together a team to accomplish that very thing. And that is, play at the highest level and compete. I don't think we'll hear NC or any bogus claims. BUt JB would, i think, be very concerned about who he is playing around and will those folks add to or take away from his longer term goals.

When you listen to this kid, yes on video, yes, with the miracles bias of editing tat probably wanted to paint this kid as humble (easy target) i think there is a lot more to this kid. Its almost as if he has the ball accolades already sown up: top HS recruit, PoY, etc, likely 1st pick in NBA, let alone the whole best 5 in the NBA--good gravy--BUT what seems equal or more important is to maintain his character and gratitude amidst all the fame.

What better place to come that to BYU were you can have 99% of the student body worship you and 1% write articles about fan worship just to help keep the athlete humble. ;-)
C
Cougs_Rule
Methinks I am starting to hold my breath a bit. Better exhale. Could be a long time before he lets cat out of bag.

And while I'm at it--that very well could be why he is not letting folks know; because if he came out and said BYU, he might lose a lot of luster. Hmmmmmmmmm, breathing.........
C
Cougs_Rule
Can you imagine a supporting cast of Calvert, Chapman, Emery, Carlino, Haws, etc, etc. Those are the stars without a Jabari. Now as a supporting cast. Its enough to make a person hold their breath at least a little. its enough to make a guy post 3 times in row even if he is the only one listening. :-)
C
Cougs_Rule
Jabari is coming! I feel it! Im convinced! jk
B
BroncoBot
BlueIsBetter wrote:



I wish Jimmer would have been given a chance to do more this year, that would have bumped up our odds even more.

Jimmer had plenty of chances this year. But he had a pesky ROY contender on his team who knew how to play a little something called "defense". Isaiah Thomas was THE man for the Kings this year. Jimmer looked like he still had plenty of learning to do in his limited time off the bench. I'm confident he'll look better next year though.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Jimmer was every bit as good as Thomas when given the same amount of minutes, most times better.



5'0 Thomas wasn't very good at defense, by the way. None of the Kings were. Jimmer actually played decent defense.
S
SpiffCoug
Jimmer didn't play the point. It's unfair to compare him to a teammate at a different position.
B
BroncoBot
Jimmer played plenty of point during the year. I love the guy as much as the next BYU fan, I even got tickets to the Kings/76ers game here in Phillly just to see Jimmer again, but Isaiah thomas beat him in almost every relevant stat including shooting %, 3pt%, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. And at the end of the year, Thomas was playing well enough he was a serious consideration for ROY. That's not to say that Jimmer won't be better next year, or that he didn't have a good year, or that another team might be a much better fit for him. But he does have a lot of work to do.
S
SpiffCoug
Wrong. Jimmer played plenty of 2-guard - a brand new position for him. I'm not saying he had a good year. He was decent for a rookie. But that doesn't change the fact that Isaiah played point, played more minutes and was used in a way that more suited his game. He played very well and really got into a rhythm.



Jimmer was having to learn the NBA and learn a new position at the same time. He does have a lot to work on and was probably hurt more than any other rookie by not having a training camp, no practices during the year and a coaching change.



I thought this was a good analysis and article on Jimmer's season:

http://www.cowbellkingdom.com/2012/05/03/2011-12-sacramento-kings-in-review-jimmer-fredette/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
Wrong. Jimmer played plenty of 2-guard - a brand new position for him. I'm not saying he had a good year. He was decent for a rookie. But that doesn't change the fact that Isaiah played point, played more minutes and was used in a way that more suited his game. He played very well and really got into a rhythm.



Jimmer was having to learn the NBA and learn a new position at the same time. He does have a lot to work on and was probably hurt more than any other rookie by not having a training camp, no practices during the year and a coaching change.



I thought this was a good analysis and article on Jimmer's season:

http://www.cowbellkingdom.com/2012/05/03/2011-12-sacramento-kings-in-review-jimmer-fredette/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


2 guard is not a brand new position for him. He played the 2 his freshman and sophomore years at BYU.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Not true. He played point all four years at BYU. He may have seen some time at that spot, but Jimmer was a PG at BYU.



He was Ben Murdock's backup as a freshman. Unless you think the backup point was was fellow freshman Michael Loyd. But then Jimmer played 400 more minutes so that's probably unlikely.



Maybe Jimmer wasn't the point as a sophomore. So we'll go with Lamont Morgan as the point. But then why was Lamont only playing 16 minutes a night if he was the starting point.



Jimmer saw some time at the 2 his first two years, but he was clearly the backup point as a freshman and the starter as a sophomore, junior and senior.
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:
Not true. He played point all four years at BYU. He may have seen some time at that spot, but Jimmer was a PG at BYU.



He was Ben Murdock's backup as a freshman. Unless you think the backup point was was fellow freshman Michael Loyd. But then Jimmer played 400 more minutes so that's probably unlikely.



Maybe Jimmer wasn't the point as a sophomore. So we'll go with Lamont Morgan as the point. But then why was Lamont only playing 16 minutes a night if he was the starting point.



Jimmer saw some time at the 2 his first two years, but he was clearly the backup point as a freshman and the starter as a sophomore, junior and senior.

Ok. Now do the math for the kings and tell me who was playing point when IT was on the bench for 17 minutes a night. When jimmer and Isaiah were on the floor together jimmer was the 2. Otherwise jimmer played 1. If he's playing 2 I don't think he'll make it long.
S
SpiffCoug
Tryeke Evans played point or Marcus Thorton. When Jimmer was on the floor without IT, the ball was not inbounded to Jimmer. The offense did not run through Jimmer. Jimmer was almost always an off the ball player. It was a new position for Jimmer - one that he struggled mightily (by Jimmer standards) to adjust to.
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:
Tryeke Evans played point or Marcus Thorton. When Jimmer was on the floor without IT, the ball was not inbounded to Jimmer. The offense did not run through Jimmer. Jimmer was almost always an off the ball player. It was a new position for Jimmer - one that he struggled mightily (by Jimmer standards) to adjust to.

Hmmm. I saw enough of the kings that I have to disagree with this. Jimmer did have the ball inbounded to him and brought the ball up plenty of times. There was plenty of times that tyreke or Marcus brought the ball up when Isaiah was in the game. Paul milsap and Gordon Hayward bring the ball up for the jazz sometimes. Certainly doesn't make them the pg. Oh well. I guess we disagree.
B
Brayden Green
BroncoBot wrote:
Not true. He played point all four years at BYU. He may have seen some time at that spot, but Jimmer was a PG at BYU.



He was Ben Murdock's backup as a freshman. Unless you think the backup point was was fellow freshman Michael Loyd. But then Jimmer played 400 more minutes so that's probably unlikely.



Maybe Jimmer wasn't the point as a sophomore. So we'll go with Lamont Morgan as the point. But then why was Lamont only playing 16 minutes a night if he was the starting point.



Jimmer saw some time at the 2 his first two years, but he was clearly the backup point as a freshman and the starter as a sophomore, junior and senior.

Ok. Now do the math for the kings and tell me who was playing point when IT was on the bench for 17 minutes a night. When jimmer and Isaiah were on the floor together jimmer was the 2. Otherwise jimmer played 1. If he's playing 2 I don't think he'll make it long.


Um, Tyreke Evans, or one of the other 8 guards on the Kings roster (but mostly Evans.)



Watch basketball much? Not just the stat sheet?



:skeptic:
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.