Archived Topic

The importance of Poly Recruits

by byucougar1 · 5/9/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
http://www.samoanews.com/?q=node/5071" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Coach Doman is in American Samoa (I believe 60% LDS)visiting all 7 HS in an attempt to identify top talent to bring to BYU. He stated that 43 of 120 team members are Polys (1/3), and that they will be an integral part of the team in BYU's attempt to go undefeated. Don't know if he is playing "...we are as the armies of Helaman..." but he is stating how BYU is culturally, spiritually and academically the right fit for many of the qualifying LDS youth. Hopes to land the best prospects and enlist them in the cause. Guess we don't recruit Ploys -TIC!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
You beat me to the article. Good job and fingers are crossed that this trips leads to success.
J
jonnylingo
awesome.
C
Cougarbib
Luckily Polys are not that important. TIC



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Sadly, we already know that it is impossible for BYU to ever get another Poly recruit. I mean, it was in the news paper so it must be true.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think we also know that if Mark Atuaia were on staff, he wouldn't have had to go to American Samoa. The recruits would have come to him.
P
pjspack
SpiffCoug wrote:
I think we also know that if Mark Atuaia were on staff, he wouldn't have had to go to American Samoa. The recruits would have come to him.


LOL
B
byucougar1
I understand that Vai Sikahema helped set up this trip for Doman - wanted more Poly exposure.
C
Cougarbib
Now that BYU has burned the Kahuku and La'ie bridges - Samoa is the new frontier.



Back to reality - there is not a well developed American Football infrastructure in Samoa. There will be some big boys, some strong boys, and maybe even a few fast ones - have to wait and see on the speed - but these boys will be raw - very raw.



But, time is on our side and this investment fits with the mission of the Church.



But trust me - this will not at all be like getting the top 2-3 Kahuku High School kids every year or the cream of the Bingham High School Poly crop in Utah every year. It just won't be - but over the years as it develops - it could become a gold mine. I hope Doman visits the Tongan gold mine as well.



Hope it isn't just fool's gold.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Did BYU burn the Kahuku and La'ie bridges or was the players from those teams?
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Did BYU burn the Kahuku and La'ie bridges or was the players from those teams?

Remember - Vai said we will never get another recruit. According to him the Bingham Poly bridge is burned too. And I suppose the Timpview Bridge is being rebuilt - separate issue there, of course.



My post was mostly TIC - I really do not know how much or how permanent the damage was by not taking Atuaia on board. The Skyline High School Bridge should be in good shape with Doman and Dupaix. The white overachiever bridge was just bolstered by those moves.



I think the Oahu North Shore bridges were already crumbling from Teogate, and many other perceived sins like the guy who wanted a vacation to South Bend with his dad or the guy who ended up at UW. Even the great Norm Chow was accused of burning these bridges back in the glory years.



The key is the mothers. Bronco could still warm a Polynesian player's mother's heart with a strong spiritual message.



They do have long memories on the North Shore and everyone is related.



Maybe we have just burned the Tongan Bridge. Samoa is welcoming Doman.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
SpiffCoug wrote:
Did BYU burn the Kahuku and La'ie bridges or was the players from those teams?


No, Manti Teo burned them in a drunken rage....
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
Did BYU burn the Kahuku and La'ie bridges or was the players from those teams?


No, Manti Teo burned them in a drunken rage....


KONA SCHWENKE!!!



Kona's dad: "Hey BYU, we just want to go on these other trips... we aren't honestly interested in them... we just want to get some free food, and hang out with NFL players on other campuses"



BYU: If you take those trips we will release your scholarship. We want people who are dedicated to BYU coming here.



Kona: "Oh no worries, we are dedicated." **Hangs up phone** "Pack your bags son, I think they bought it. Let's go see if these other schools have any interest in you, and/or free food."



Yeah, that TOTALLY sounds like BYU burning a bridge there :roll:
V
vancouvercougar
BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Did BYU burn the Kahuku and La'ie bridges or was the players from those teams?


No, Manti Teo burned them in a drunken rage....


KONA SCHWENKE!!!



Kona's dad: "Hey BYU, we just want to go on these other trips... we aren't honestly interested in them... we just want to get some free food, and hang out with NFL players on other campuses"



BYU: If you take those trips we will release your scholarship. We want people who are dedicated to BYU coming here.



Kona: "Oh no worries, we are dedicated." **Hangs up phone** "Pack your bags son, I think they bought it. Let's go see if these other schools have any interest in you, and/or free food."



Yeah, that TOTALLY sounds like BYU burning a bridge there :roll:


That's about how I saw the Kona situation happening.
S
snoscythe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Did BYU burn the Kahuku and La'ie bridges or was the players from those teams?


No, Manti Teo burned them in a drunken rage....


KONA SCHWENKE!!!


I might just start using that instead of:



http://shtinkyshmellyrunatriathalon.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/holy-schnikes.jpg?w=300&h=300" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
vancouvercougar wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Did BYU burn the Kahuku and La'ie bridges or was the players from those teams?


No, Manti Teo burned them in a drunken rage....


KONA SCHWENKE!!!



Kona's dad: "Hey BYU, we just want to go on these other trips... we aren't honestly interested in them... we just want to get some free food, and hang out with NFL players on other campuses"



BYU: If you take those trips we will release your scholarship. We want people who are dedicated to BYU coming here.



Kona: "Oh no worries, we are dedicated." **Hangs up phone** "Pack your bags son, I think they bought it. Let's go see if these other schools have any interest in you, and/or free food."



Yeah, that TOTALLY sounds like BYU burning a bridge there :roll:


That's about how I saw the Kona situation happening.


Anyone know what Bronco's stance is on this now days? http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1184588.html

I can't find it but another article I read about this guy quoted him saying that Brayden Kearsley also had a wondering eye.
B
BroncoBot
Kids these days. Leavitt sounds like he just wants to make an impressive list of schools that offered him.



now that the precedent has been set, it's hard to believe that Bronco will let this slide.
L
Larrycoug
I still think Bronco's comments re Manti were unnecessary at best.



It's interesting too that Manti has been nothing but a great example and missionary for the church (at least as far as the media reports it), which i thought BYU fans would appreciate. But I guess that not as fun as calling him a drunk (sort of like Bronco did).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Larrycoug wrote:
I still think Bronco's comments re Manti were unnecessary at best.



It's interesting too that Manti has been nothing but a great example and missionary for the church (at least as far as the media reports it), which i thought BYU fans would appreciate. But I guess that not as fun as calling him a drunk (sort of like Bronco did).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

What were Bronco's exact words. He usually is a man of few words and the few words, like with most coaches and politicians, are rarely coherent.



Perhaps Manti Teo repented. Hopefully his cousin repented too after getting booted for repeated alcohol problems. And hopefully the other Teo that transferred back to Hawaii iirc after BYU asked him to switch to DB had things work out for him.



Al things Teo went south for BYU. I have not tried to follow them. You cannot help but hear about Manti - because he is just that good.



Now you could break several LDS rules that would keep you out of BYU or the Temple and still receive SaintHood at Notre Dame. I hope Manti fully repented, somehow marries an LDS girl if he has not already done so, and sends all of his kids to BYU.



I imagine Bronco would have Given Manti the same deal KVN got and turned into Gold. But it was not to be. I guess we will get to see him at work up close and personal this Fall and for his BYU visit to resurface in the pre-game hype.



That will be a great opportunity for everyone involved to choose their words wisely.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.