Archived Topic

Why FSU will never join the Big 12

by CougarClaw · 5/7/2012

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2012/05/forget-rumors-reasons-why-fsu-would-never-join-the-big-12/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



great read.



It's kind of refreshing to hear someone mention that something besides football matters to conference alignment.



Another gem: one major cultural difference between the "South" (ACC) and the "West" Big 12 is "different ethics". I was trying to figure out if he was explaining away their lack of ethics, or trying to take the moral high-ground. Either way. I'd be curious if the Big 12 had something to say in response to the ACC's "different ethics"!
J
jonnylingo
The reason I discredit this article is that it does not mention money once. this is all driven by money and we all know it. it is the number one driving factor. any article that does not mention that is not credible.
M
mormonrasta
jonnylingo wrote:
The reason I discredit this article is that it does not mention money once. this is all driven by money and we all know it. it is the number one driving factor. any article that does not mention that is not credible.


It did mention money in a big way. Even with bowls and tv deals, the #1 source of revenue that a university's athletic program gets is from the fans, namely alumni writing checks. So if you are FSU where are your out of state alumni? Oklahoma? Iowa? Kansas? I'm willing to bet there are more FSU alumni in Georgia than those 3 states combined. Alumni will send more checks to the alma mater if they actually play in their region.



This was a big motivation for Colorado leaving the Big 12. They have alot more alumni in California and Arizona than they do in Iowa, Kansas or Oklahoma.
C
CougarClaw
you bring up a great point about money. It's one I missed.



I suppose I liked the idea of a school putting all of the nuances of culture, athletics, and rivalries ahead of dollar signs. It's a lost perspective.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.