Archived Topic

What will 2012 team be?

by golong · 5/3/2012

Advertisement
G
golong
I confess I'm in a bit of depression over BYU football; not sure why, but here are some troubling concerns. No BYU players drafted in the NFL draft last week. Spring practice seemed to be a complete waste, no O-linemen, no tight ends, all skilled and nearly all starters held out of practice--not sure anything of any significance was accomplished. Still unconvinced Reilly can be a great QB. Our great tight ends have either way under performed or been injured or both--what's up with that?



So what does this mean for 2012? With a very tough schedule, and unless this team really comes together and performs above what they have the past couple of years, it could be a downer season. I can see BYU winning it's first two, then losing it's next two games. then winning one or two, then losing the next three. 5 losses is not out of the question this year. I hope I'm wrong, and I always expect BYU to go undefeated, but there are some fundamental issues that concern me.

1. Not sure our Oline is all that good

2. Not sure our QBs can be great

3. Not sure our Dline is anything but average

4. Injuries are just insane, even our kicker is injured

5. The spring game was a complete waste of time, no starters were available to practice.

6. I love Nelson's grit, but not sure he can elevate the passing game to where it needs to be. I'm still in shock about Heaps, why was he such a failure? To we have a star in waiting in the QB stable?
C
Cougs_Rule
I kind of agree with you. If anything, expectations Cougar Nation-wide have diminished a bit. From the fervor of Heaps, Talk of NC (most notably bronco and heaps), BCS Conf invite, etc---expectations have been running a little rampant over the last few years. Even Jimmer-mania had some spill over effect onto football, IMO.

Who knows. Maybe this is a good set up with lowered expectations, maybe even a better rebalancing of "under-promising and over delivering" instead of the other way around.



Or maybe this is the result of a fully planted, enculturated, and now "fruits of his labor" Bronco Ball with its banner blazing, "Football is 5th" and its primary color being a "blue-collar mentality." it is what it is. It is what we have. Anyone deluded--which seems most of Cougar nation, that BYU was becoming more than that was just that, deluded, fanatical, where the fervor and faith peaked, but without works and results (BCS results at least) is now subsiding.

Bronco will sooner or later realize that 5th and 1st are two very different languages. It would have been almost other world, superhuman even to have pulled off both. It's shooting for the stars to get both---and that's what a visionary needs; but it takes the best of the best in leadership to pull off both, and as much as I like Bronco and prefer him over probably anyone else right now, the moon is all we are going to get. But it's better than Shoal.



Go Cougs. 10 wins in 2012 is doable! Go for it!
Y
Y12
There have been several events that should have been wake up calls for the coaches and players. If they have chosen to do some soul searching, this could turn out to be a surprising season.



All linemen, offense and defense, should be doing things different. If Reynolds and Fangupo couldn't get drafted, none of them will without major changes taking place.



2011 was the first 10 win BYU team to NOT be ranked in BOTH major polls. Rather than hang their hats on the USAToday ranking, they should feel slighted and have a chip on their shoulder.



The fact that the BIg XII doesn't see BYU as a slam dunk should eat at everyone and get them focused on showing on the field that they belong with the nation's elite.



etc. ...



I understand there are games to play that make Bronco and Holmoe engage in optimitic rhetoric. As long as behind the scenes they aren't taking the "all is well" approach I am fine with the rhetoric. However, it is hard to discern if this is the case.
M
Mars
Y12 wrote:
There have been several events that should have been wake up calls for the coaches and players. If they have chosen to do some soul searching, this could turn out to be a surprising season.

This reminds me of the first loss each football season, where the fans, coaches, and players say "Oh, THIS was just what we needed to learn from so we could REALLY get rolling!" And then after the second loss, you realize, maybe they just aren't as good as they/we thought they were...
S
SpiffCoug
I think the 2012 team will be very good.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
I think the 2012 team will be very good.


Very good yet under hyped would be nice.
S
SpiffCoug
Yeah, I don't think we'll get much hype this year. In fact, I think the fall camp run-up to the season will be pretty bland and much like spring ball.



I think a lot of BYU fans are taking a wait-and-see approach to 2012. They're tired of the rhetoric from Provo. They want the team winning, winning big and with big wins.
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
Yeah, I don't think we'll get much hype this year. In fact, I think the fall camp run-up to the season will be pretty bland and much like spring .


unless Riley turns it into a qb battle for old times sakes 8)
G
Gunk
I'll tell you how 2012 will go.



We'll lose a couple of big games early in the season. Rack up wins against cellar dwellers. Win either the Las Vegas, Poinsetta, or Armed Forces bowl. Thump our chests, point to our bowl win percentage, and finish ranked 25th in some poll somewhere.



We'll do the same thing in 2013, 2014, 2015...that's BYU football.
J
jonnylingo
I didn't renew my season tickets this year for the first time in a long time. I will still attend the more exciting games and my annual away game but I am taking a break from season tickets this year. I will watch November games from my couch with my family since almost all our games will be on espn.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
Gunk wrote:
I'll tell you how 2012 will go.



We'll lose a couple of big games early in the season. Rack up wins against cellar dwellers. Win either the Las Vegas, Poinsetta, or Armed Forces bowl. Thump our chests, point to our bowl win percentage, and finish ranked 25th in some poll somewhere.



We'll do the same thing in 2013, 2014, 2015...that's BYU football.


I am thinking this is best case scenario. It would be a success in my mind if we did this. I would be happy with that. I don't expect 10 wins. I am thinking 8 or 9 not counting our bowl game. and also i think we are kraft hunger this year??
S
SpiffCoug
dmcougar wrote:
Yeah, I don't think we'll get much hype this year. In fact, I think the fall camp run-up to the season will be pretty bland and much like spring .


unless Riley turns it into a qb battle for old times sakes 8)

That would be epic.
L
Lawboy
I like us at 11-2, to be honest. I think we split the Utah/BSU games, and we split the ND/GT games, and win the rest, including the Bowl. Finish around #12-15. People are more please due to the fact we were in every game, and the D looked really good, and the Oline was improved. But in the end, turnovers will doom us in the 2 losses.



2012 will be a nice jump for BYU Football overall.
C
Cougarbib
Too many wild cards



Nelson will be decent - will he be great

If we need a back-up - do we really have one who is ready

Question marks at FB, RB, TE, and OL - what do we really have



There could be a lot of pleasant surprises or a lot of disappointment



Defense should be pretty decent with some question marks about depth



The schedule will not be friendly early.



I will just have to wait and see and try to enjoy the season as it unfolds.



I expect 10-3 at absolute best.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
northerncougar
Mars wrote:
There have been several events that should have been wake up calls for the coaches and players. If they have chosen to do some soul searching, this could turn out to be a surprising season.

This reminds me of the first loss each football season, where the fans, coaches, and players say "Oh, THIS was just what we needed to learn from so we could REALLY get rolling!" And then after the second loss, you realize, maybe they just aren't as good as they/we thought they were...


Spot on.



-We beat Wash St. barely but most will chalk that up to Leach being a great coach and revitalizing that program. When they end up winning 4 or 5 games, that will change.

-We beat Weber but not by the 50pt margin it should be. Some will admit to themselves that we are in trouble.

-Utah will destroy us again with a fantastic D and average O. The wheel's will come off at this point for the fans.

-The short turn around, and losing to our rival for the third year in a row, will be the reasons we can't beat an avg BSU team.

-Hawaii, USU and OSU are just what the Dr ordered and we are 5-2 with some saying we are going to be fine.

-ND and GT bring those fans back to earth as we get beat by both. At least one of those games should have been a win but some boneheaded coaching decision(s) and/or stupid player mistakes will haunt us the rest of the year.

-The last three are easy wins leaving us at 8-4.

-We finish the season at 9-4 winning our bowl game and really having a very poor season. 9-4 with this schedule is flat out terrible.



Again, nothing has changed and after 23 years, I will be more convinced then ever that the current coaching staff can't get it done. 2013 will be Bronco's first losing season.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Gunk wrote:
Win either the Las Vegas, Poinsetta, or Armed Forces bowl.


You can be a little more precise. BYU only has three bowl options this year:



1) no bowl

2) Poinsettia Bowl

3) BCS Bowl



I assume you are picking #2. Next year is the same, just substitute "Kraft Fight Hunger" for Poinsettia.



http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5920681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
Brayden Green
I think that the ND and GT game are very winnable. Neither team is good. This is the best year in 5 to play BSU, but I still think that one is a loss. I think we lose to Utah if they have a healthy Wynn or if Hansen turns out to be a decent backup if Wynn goes down. There is legit talent on Utah this year. I think they turn out 5 or 6 draft picks again this year.



I think 10 wins including whatever suck-A team we play from the MWC is doable. 8 or 9 is more likely if the offense



A) has fat lineman that can't block for crap, again

B) has receivers that can't release against press defense again

C) has a hurt qb, and/or a qb controversy again

D) has rb's that can't run against good teams, again

E) has hurt TE's that are a non-factor in the lineup again

F) has a hurt kicker that can't kick FG's accurately again

G) has a punter that comes absolutely unglued on his side of the 50 again

H) has a qb with subsequent below 135 PER and/or turnover problems again



or



I) All of the above



Pick any 3 of those and 10 wins is the ceiling and 8-5 or 9-4 is a very real possibility - even with the best defense that we have had in 5, maybe 10 years on the field.



Also, cross your fingers that TCU and/or BSU go busting, because I really don't want to play them at the end of the season.
B
BroncoBot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I think that the ND and GT game are very winnable. Neither team is good. This is the best year in 5 to play BSU, but I still think that one is a loss. I think we lose to Utah if they have a healthy Wynn or if Hansen turns out to be a decent backup if Wynn goes down.

I'm licking my chops at the thought of a freshman/new starter at BSU or the u vs BYU's defense this year. Hansen may turn out to be great, but facing this BYU defense yearly in his freshman season... Yikes. And I think BYU learned a lot about how to face Wynn. He even came out and said what worked and didn't work (Thanks Wynn).



I'm also enjoying all the negativity on the board right now. :lol: This years team certainly won't be overhyped. Kind of like 2006??? Seems like the last year that we had a Sr. QB and a BYU team that wasn't expected to make too much noise. They did alright.
C
CougarClaw
i'm amazed there are so many responses to this thread.



"What will 2012 team be? "



What does that even MEAN?
C
Cougarfan87
CougarClaw wrote:
i'm amazed there are so many responses to this thread.



"What will 2012 team be? "



What does that even MEAN?


Who is now?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.