Archived Topic

International Travel

by shakavaka · 4/30/2012

Advertisement
S
shakavaka
Hey Guys,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Peru this year, hopefully in october. I've been trying to do research on getting a good price on a flight there. I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips or a specific airline or service that they used and had a good experience with.

Thanks for your time
S
Schmoe
Do you have connections to Peru? I don't have any info on flights, but I served my mission there.
J
jvquarterback
Try Matrix2.itasoftware.com. It is the best search engine for flights though you can't buy tickets on the site. It is nice because it lets you choose the length of your trip and find the cheapest flights that way. Look at flying out of several different airports. Prices are crazy right now. You can save a bunch of money right now by flying into Lima and out of Guayaquil if you are interested in ecuador at all.



About 8 years ago (before kids) my wife and I spent a month in Peru. Best vacation ever. How long are you going for and what do you want to do while you're there? We went on a three night dugout canoe safari and saw river manatees and pink dolphins. Kuelap and the ruins near Trujillo are just as cool and much less visited than Machu Pichu. Plus the surfing on the coast near Trujillo is pretty sweet as well. We also did some river rafting near Ariquipa. Didn't make it to lake Titicaca due some strikes. I guess we'll have to go back.
S
Schmoe
I'll agree with everything JV said except the Machu Picchu part, there is something unique and magical about that place. Definitely try to visit ruins in the Andes and get out to the rainforest.
J
jvquarterback
Machu Picchu is great don't get me wrong. We did the four day backpacking trip which was sweet. History wise though MP is relatively new and was never really lived in. If you can swing it try for the fall equinox or winter solstice. We were there June 21 and there were some really cool things you can only see on certain days.



But there is a lot more to Peru than Machu Picchu. There was a National Geographic article on the stuff up near Trujillo that came out in 2005 right when we got back from our trip - I swear the photographer must have had the same guide. BTW if you get the right guide and grease the palms of the right people you can see things no one else ever will. And the paintings on the pyramids there I think are more compelling than Machu Picchu.



If you are into the make believe this is where the Nephites and Lamanites lived type of tourism Trujillo and Kuelap are great as well as there were actually people living there 1500-2500 years ago.



I don't think you can go wrong wherever you go in Peru though.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Google has a very nice, feature rich, flight search. It's fast, and gives you all sorts of data on costs and such. I'd check it out.



http://www.google.com/flights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S
shakavaka
I served my mission in peru from 08-10...My wife wants to go now.



one of the families that I lived with has offered to take us around for a week, so we will be going to machupichu (not part of my mission) and then down to puno and lake titicaca(one of my areas).



Then I will be spending another week just kind of to do whatever. hopefully just staying around arequipa.



Thanks for the tips, I'll definately check out those sites
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.