Archived Topic

Pre snap Countdown has started

by scott715 · 4/24/2012

Advertisement
D
DarthMagnus
After they put us at #12 last year, I'm not sure what to expect.
S
scott715
Predicting top 10 then?
Advertisement
K
Kajdin
I can understand why they put us at #12 last year with 10 returning offensive starters. This year will be interesting to see, I think this offense will have less hype but be much better than last year so I think they get it wrong again, this time in the opposite direction.
C
Cougarbib
I would put us at 35 with an equal chance of finishing higher or lower in the final BCS Poll. If our offense is legit, we will go much higher. Key injuries or bad breaks - we drop lower.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I think starting at #35 is probably fair. I'll be disappointed if we finish there.



I think we have a better chance of finishing higher than lower.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
I think starting at #35 is probably fair. I'll be disappointed if we finish there.



I think we have a better chance of finishing higher than lower.

Where did we finish in the BCS Poll in 2011? I am not sure. Definitely not top 25. I am thinking it was low to mid 30s.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Well, considering we weren't in the final BCS poll (they don't release one post-bowls) and didn't make the AP Top 25 until the final poll...
K
Kajdin
We never made the AP top 25 we were the first team out (#26). We only made the Coaches Poll to at 25 because USC (included in the AP) was ineligible to be ranked by the coaches. Make USC eligible and we finish #26 in both final polls.



http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings
S
Schmoe
Kajdin wrote:
We never made the AP top 25 we were the first team out (#26). We only made the Coaches Poll to at 25 because USC (included in the AP) was ineligible to be ranked by the coaches. Make USC eligible and we finish #26 in both final polls.



http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings


But they weren't ranked, or eligible to be, so that is a moot point. If we cheated like crazy, I'm sure we'd do much better, as well.
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
Well, considering we weren't in the final BCS poll (they don't release one post-bowls) and didn't make the AP Top 25 until the final poll...


Yes - but in the BCS calculations done each week and published each week - you can see the calculations and thus rankings beyond the official Top 25.



My question was where BYU fit in that list. I recall us being in the 30s on the last one I saw.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Well, considering we weren't in the final BCS poll (they don't release one post-bowls) and didn't make the AP Top 25 until the final poll...


Yes - but in the BCS calculations done each week and published each week - you can see the calculations and thus rankings beyond the official Top 25.



My question was where BYU fit in that list. I recall us being in the 30s on the last one I saw.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Which wouldn't have factored in our bowl win over a good Tulsa team. There was no BCS poll after the season was totally complete. Any talk of the BCS poll after the bowls is irrelevant (or maybe needs an asterisk ;)) because there would have been more data and games that had been played that would have changed the BCS rankings had the issued another poll.



But the BCS doesn't do a final season poll - they only do a final regular season poll. They don't take the entire season's data into account. That was my point. Us being in the 30s in the last poll doesn't mean that is what our actual position in the BCS rankings would have been because it would have changed (for the positive) post-bowls.
M
MTM
FWIW, Sagarin does post-bowl game rankings.



His Final ranking has BYU # 34 and #33 in ELO Chess which is a BCS component.
Y
Y12
Any SEC teams yet?



I find it a joke that teams that end up 2-10 (like Ole Miss last year) will always be ranked in the top half of college football just because they are in the SEC.



BYU in the 30s seems to be the consensus nationally for BYU preseason. No one is willing to take a risk, then again, what have we done post-2009 to merit anyones confidence to take that risk.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.