Archived Topic

Whittingham Admits the Rivialy is Dead

by SpiffCoug · 4/16/2012

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=294&sid=20011576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



And essentially it's Utah's fault. They don't want to play us because we can upset their program's "scheduling balance."



I can't blame them for wanting out of the rivalry. They're basically looking at four conference losses a year and once the B1G games begin, they're going to be staring 6-6 in the face every year.
C
Cougs_Rule
Good riddance.

And rivalry aside, this very scenario ought to concern everyone aching to get into the Big 12. It's no cake walk.
G
Guest
Further evidence that both Whittingham and Chris Hill believes that Bronco is a better coach and BYU a better program even with their supposed pac12 recruits and the complete beat down they delivered to our team after they had completely thrown up the white flag last year.
C
Cougs_Rule
Better than a D-II team or a Montana State year in and out? I hope they see that. But what's best for their program is to not have a mid- tier to higher end (in some years) PAC12 type team as their non conf games. It's smart for them.
U
Ungoy
Good riddance. But let's make sure we leave the Rice Chex this year having given them a beat down they will never forget. I want the last game of the rivalry to sting them for eternity.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Ungoy wrote:
Good riddance. But let's make sure we leave the Rice Chex this year having given them a beat down they will never forget. I want the last game of the rivalry to sting them for eternity.

Unfortunately, in three or four years, they'll be back wanting to renew it because they can't fill their 30,000 seat stadium....
G
Gunk
ABYUFAN wrote:
Good riddance. But let's make sure we leave the Rice Chex this year having given them a beat down they will never forget. I want the last game of the rivalry to sting them for eternity.

Unfortunately, in three or four years, they'll be back wanting to renew it because they can't fill their 30,000 seat stadium....


What will happen is Utah will completely fall on its face in the Pac12. After 3 - 4 seasons of playing for 5th place and a chance at the Las Vegas Bowl, Utah will fire Whittingham. New head coach will come in and "restore" the rivalry as a way to get apathetic Utes to care about Ute football.
C
CougarClaw
All those years BYU props utah up at our own expense. We bring them along when they were and had nothing and we insist they are included in any BYU deal during the WAC and MWC years.



And they do this when we need games the most. I hope Cougar fans have long memories. Very long memories.



But I get it. When you deal with mobsters and thugs. It's business. Nothing personal.
J
jonnylingo
I think its time to admit that Utah's fanbase has grown substantially and his much more loyal than in the past. the last decade has been extremely good to the utes and a lot of their fans now are true fans that won't hop./



do they have byu fan support? not even close. but they are probably doing what is smartest for them. I tend to agree though that this will hurt them. their identiy has been tied to byu for a long time. unless they are successful in the pac12 their fan support will dwindle once the novelty wears off. if that happens and byu continues to be top 25 program, they will likely renew the rivalry given the need to secure interest. right now they don't need it. the pac12 and recent success has them filling their stadium. season tickets are all sold.



i understand it and am apathetic to it. I do think it is cowardly of utah however. it does suggest they have inferiority issues. they wouldn't throw such a rich tradition away if that were not the case. they really are not confident.
J
jonnylingo
CougarClaw wrote:
All those years BYU props utah up at our own expense. We bring them along when they were and had nothing and we insist they are included in any BYU deal during the WAC and MWC years.



And they do this when we need games the most. I hope Cougar fans have long memories. Very long memories.



But I get it. When you deal with mobsters and thugs. It's business. Nothing personal.


Very true. Utah would not be where they are without byu. I find it embarrassing for them.
Advertisement
H
HoosierCougar
jonnylingo wrote:
I think its time to admit that Utah's fanbase has grown substantially and his much more loyal than in the past. the last decade has been extremely good to the utes and a lot of their fans now are true fans that won't hop./



do they have byu fan support? not even close. but they are probably doing what is smartest for them. I tend to agree though that this will hurt them. their identiy has been tied to byu for a long time. unless they are successful in the pac12 their fan support will dwindle once the novelty wears off. if that happens and byu continues to be top 25 program, they will likely renew the rivalry given the need to secure interest. right now they don't need it. the pac12 and recent success has them filling their stadium. season tickets are all sold.



i understand it and am apathetic to it. I do think it is cowardly of utah however. it does suggest they have inferiority issues. they wouldn't throw such a rich tradition away if that were not the case. they really are not confident.


I agree with you... mostly.



When I moved to Utah a few years ago, I moved into a predominantly Ute neighborhood. I've found there are a few old school fans, the ones that will never stop loving the U. There are a similar few of the "I went there so I am a fan" and the "I HATE BYU, so I cheer for the U" fans. But there are a lot (and I mean a LOT) of young (12-25), energized, fans that have been raised on success.



My young men are about evenly split. One interesting note is that none of the U fans have really ever experienced anything like the Crowton Years. Except for the youngest, the BYU fans remember (or have siblings who remember) those rough years. I'm not convinced that 3-4 years of 6-6 or worse doesn't unplug the energy.
J
jonnylingo
HoosierCougar wrote:
I think its time to admit that Utah's fanbase has grown substantially and his much more loyal than in the past. the last decade has been extremely good to the utes and a lot of their fans now are true fans that won't hop./



do they have byu fan support? not even close. but they are probably doing what is smartest for them. I tend to agree though that this will hurt them. their identiy has been tied to byu for a long time. unless they are successful in the pac12 their fan support will dwindle once the novelty wears off. if that happens and byu continues to be top 25 program, they will likely renew the rivalry given the need to secure interest. right now they don't need it. the pac12 and recent success has them filling their stadium. season tickets are all sold.



i understand it and am apathetic to it. I do think it is cowardly of utah however. it does suggest they have inferiority issues. they wouldn't throw such a rich tradition away if that were not the case. they really are not confident.


I agree with you... mostly.



When I moved to Utah a few years ago, I moved into a predominantly Ute neighborhood. I've found there are a few old school fans, the ones that will never stop loving the U. There are a similar few of the "I went there so I am a fan" and the "I HATE BYU, so I cheer for the U" fans. But there are a lot (and I mean a LOT) of young (12-25), energized, fans that have been raised on success.



My young men are about evenly split. One interesting note is that none of the U fans have really ever experienced anything like the Crowton Years. Except for the youngest, the BYU fans remember (or have siblings who remember) those rough years. I'm not convinced that 3-4 years of 6-6 or worse doesn't unplug the energy.


good points. i agree.
B
Brayden Green
ABYUFAN wrote:
Good riddance. But let's make sure we leave the Rice Chex this year having given them a beat down they will never forget. I want the last game of the rivalry to sting them for eternity.

Unfortunately, in three or four years, they'll be back wanting to renew it because they can't fill their 30,000 seat stadium....


Yeah... This isn't going to happen. I hate the Utes as bad as anyone, but I start foaming at the mouth thinking that on any given year USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon and a few others would be coming to town.



2012 :utard: Schedule:



N. Colorado

BYU

USC

Cal

Washington State

Arizona



Ours: ( :blush: )



Washington State

Weber State

Hawaii

Utah State

Oregon State

Idaho



We are far more in danger of not selling season tickets than the :utard: with sub-par performance.
E
EM_Puma
I know I've said this before, but if any of you work with and Utes like I do, and they try to spin this like the local radio stations have, remind them that SEC teams South Carolina plays Clemson, Florida plays Florida St and/or Miami, and Georgia plays Georgia Tech. All non-conference games played outside of conference because its a rivalry, and they don't put their legs between their legs and run like a scared pup. Utah's walk through the Puke12 is nothing like SC, FL or GA's walk through the SEC.
E
El Xisco
CougarClaw wrote:
All those years BYU props utah up at our own expense. We bring them along when they were and had nothing and we insist they are included in any BYU deal during the WAC and MWC years.



And they do this when we need games the most. I hope Cougar fans have long memories. Very long memories.



But I get it. When you deal with mobsters and thugs. It's business. Nothing personal.


Well said, and very true. When BYU was at the top of its game, BYU still had the heart to think about little brother's well-being. Thanks for nothing, Pukes. I hope BYU grinds them into powder this year. It will serve them right.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Ungoy wrote:
Good riddance. But let's make sure we leave the Rice Chex this year having given them a beat down they will never forget. I want the last game of the rivalry to sting them for eternity.

Unfortunately, in three or four years, they'll be back wanting to renew it because they can't fill their 30,000 seat stadium....


Yeah... This isn't going to happen. I hate the Utes as bad as anyone, but I start foaming at the mouth thinking that on any given year USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon and a few others would be coming to town.



2012 :utard: Schedule:



N. Colorado

BYU

USC

Cal

Washington State

Arizona



Ours: ( :blush: )



Washington State

Weber State

Hawaii

Utah State

Oregon State

Idaho



We are far more in danger of not selling season tickets than the :utard: with sub-par performance.


This is OK for now, they are still a new Hyundai, with that new car smell. Soon, they will be an old, used Hyundai, and their appeal will be gone. Look at Washington State, they get 27,000 fans for good games, 30,000 for Stanford with what everyone was supposing was the Heisman trophy winner playing, but their attendance when the utes were in town was 16,000... which is where I see utah headed. They cannot even have classes on the same day that they have a football game against Montana State.
B
Brayden Green
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
Good riddance. But let's make sure we leave the Rice Chex this year having given them a beat down they will never forget. I want the last game of the rivalry to sting them for eternity.

Unfortunately, in three or four years, they'll be back wanting to renew it because they can't fill their 30,000 seat stadium....


Yeah... This isn't going to happen. I hate the Utes as bad as anyone, but I start foaming at the mouth thinking that on any given year USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon and a few others would be coming to town.



2012 :utard: Schedule:



N. Colorado

BYU

USC

Cal

Washington State

Arizona



Ours: ( :blush: )



Washington State

Weber State

Hawaii

Utah State

Oregon State

Idaho



We are far more in danger of not selling season tickets than the :utard: with sub-par performance.


This is OK for now, they are still a new Hyundai, with that new car smell. Soon, they will be an old, used Hyundai, and their appeal will be gone. Look at Washington State, they get 27,000 fans for good games, 30,000 for Stanford with what everyone was supposing was the Heisman trophy winner playing, but their attendance when the utes were in town was 16,000... which is where I see utah headed. They cannot even have classes on the same day that they have a football game against Montana State.


A) You really can't compare Washington State, one of the worse football teams in the nation for the last 5-10 years, with a team that has won the majority of their games in the last 5-10 years, has been to a BCS bowl as an outsider and won.



B) Utah is not headed where Washington State is. They are a much better program, with much better football recruits and coaching.



C) This year they are a Hyundai, Next year they are a Lexus, and they year after that they are a full on Porsche (full share of $32 million Pac-12 split). Their fan base isn't going anywhere, and they are only getting better as a program. They are serious contenders to win their division sometime in the next 3-4 years. That puts them one win away from a BCS game...



Again, I hate the :utard: , but they are set up VERY nicely to make some noise in the not so distant future. BYU is in very real trouble of not keeping up if Utah continues to be successful in the Pac-12 and doesn't schedule BYU (which would show that we can still hang with them).
G
Guest
I couldn't disagree with you more, Blueis.



Utah is a pumpkin masquerading as a stage coach. I don't see them with great coaches, Brian Johnson as OC doesn't impress me at all.



It will be interesting to see where they end up in 5 years, but I believe they will be lower spectrum of the Pac12 and struggling.
P
pjspack
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Ungoy wrote:
Good riddance. But let's make sure we leave the Rice Chex this year having given them a beat down they will never forget. I want the last game of the rivalry to sting them for eternity.

Unfortunately, in three or four years, they'll be back wanting to renew it because they can't fill their 30,000 seat stadium....


Yeah... This isn't going to happen. I hate the Utes as bad as anyone, but I start foaming at the mouth thinking that on any given year USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon and a few others would be coming to town.



2012 :utard: Schedule:



N. Colorado

BYU

USC

Cal

Washington State

Arizona



Ours: ( :blush: )



Washington State

Weber State

Hawaii

Utah State

Oregon State

Idaho



We are far more in danger of not selling season tickets than the :utard: with sub-par performance.


This is OK for now, they are still a new Hyundai, with that new car smell. Soon, they will be an old, used Hyundai, and their appeal will be gone. Look at Washington State, they get 27,000 fans for good games, 30,000 for Stanford with what everyone was supposing was the Heisman trophy winner playing, but their attendance when the utes were in town was 16,000... which is where I see utah headed. They cannot even have classes on the same day that they have a football game against Montana State.


A) You really can't compare Washington State, one of the worse football teams in the nation for the last 5-10 years, with a team that has won the majority of their games in the last 5-10 years, has been to a BCS bowl as an outsider and won.



B) Utah is not headed where Washington State is. They are a much better program, with much better football recruits and coaching.



C) This year they are a Hyundai, Next year they are a Lexus, and they year after that they are a full on Porsche (full share of $32 million Pac-12 split). Their fan base isn't going anywhere, and they are only getting better as a program. They are serious contenders to win their division sometime in the next 3-4 years. That puts them one win away from a BCS game...



Again, I hate the :utard: , but they are set up VERY nicely to make some noise in the not so distant future. BYU is in very real trouble of not keeping up if Utah continues to be successful in the Pac-12 and doesn't schedule BYU (which would show that we can still hang with them).




While it's true Washington State isn't where Utah is yet. With the hiring of Mike Leach that's all about to change. They also have an AD who is committed to turning the athletic department around. Since the hiring of Leach donations have skyrocketed and they have sold a ton more season seats. Even with BCS bowl appearences I have never seen the excitement level at Utah that were seeing at WSU now.
A
ABYUFAN
BlueIsBetter wrote:



A) You really can't compare Washington State, one of the worse football teams in the nation for the last 5-10 years, with a team that has won the majority of their games in the last 5-10 years, has been to a BCS bowl as an outsider and won.


Oh yes I can... WSU is no slouch, I wasn't being disrespectful to them, From 2001 through 2003 Washington State had three consecutive 10 win seasons, also finishing ranked in the top ten teams in the nation each year. They finished the 2001 season beating Purdue in the Sun Bowl 33-27. The Cougars then lost to Oklahoma 34-14 in the Rose Bowl January 1st, 2002. (They were Pac 10 champs that year) and beat then #5 ranked Texas in the 2003 Holiday Bowl. utah hasn't ever had a three year stretch like this, they are not yet up to WSU standards, it's a bit pie-in-the-sky to immediately say that they're superior to WSU, they aren't.
BlueIsBetter wrote:

B) Utah is not headed where Washington State is. They are a much better program, with much better football recruits and coaching.


We'll just agree to disagree on this... IMHO Mike Leach > Quitingham.... and for that matter, Mike Price > Any utah coach... utah may not be heading to where WSU is, because they aren't even heading that high....
BlueIsBetter wrote:

C) This year they are a Hyundai, Next year they are a Lexus, and they year after that they are a full on Porsche (full share of $32 million Pac-12 split). Their fan base isn't going anywhere, and they are only getting better as a program. They are serious contenders to win their division sometime in the next 3-4 years. That puts them one win away from a BCS game...

Agree to disagree.... utah is a Hyundai this year and will be one for the foreseeable future, they had their year this year when USC wasn't in contention to going to a bowl game, and how did they do? 4th in their division, 8th overall. They are not one win away from a BCS game, it more likely puts them one loss from not being bowl eligible, and let's see their fan base support them then.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.