Archived Topic

State of Program as TH Sees It

by byucougar1 · 4/14/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/holmoe-says-byu-ready-to-make-things-happen-but-nothing/article_dbad85ea-8633-11e1-858f-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Interesting responses to some common BYU fan concerns:



New Conference:



“You know that there is potential, scenarios that everyone has talked about from the doomsday where we are left out to where we are in the best conference in America and everything in between. We have a contingency plan for every one of those scenarios. In order to have those, you have to reshape them every time something new comes up. For every action, there is a reaction and that is how we try to play it.”



UT Series:

While Holmoe wouldn’t commit, he said he was confident the series would continue.



“I think the Pac 12 is being cautious about schedules in the future because everything isn’t solidified yet,” Holmoe said. “We are continuing to talk, but we aren’t contracted yet. As long as we are talking, I’m confident. If it wasn’t going to go, we wouldn’t be talking.”



November Schedule:

“It’s still in flux but our 2013 schedule is really good in November,” Holmoe said. “2011 and 2012 are what they are. It was really difficult at first and now it’s evening out. When you have time to negotiate and make deals, it’s great.



“We have incredible freedom. More people I think come to us than any other team in the country because we can do it. We have people who want to do neutral site games and we have interesting options. I think our 2013 and 2014 schedules are good. I say they are better than any schedule BYU has ever played.”



I think we just sit tight and let TH and company choose the right :-) They seem to have a pretty good plan going forward with what options are available at the current time.
L
Lawboy
We have no choice but to sit tight. BYU is not announcing anything at all, simply stating that they are flexible and have options. I see reasons for this, mostly tied to future conference affiliation. If BYU knew for certain that B12 was a no-go, I think we would see BYU announcing more future games and filling out schedules. THe reason they have not is to remain flexible in case an invite does come. Because if they add multiple games, then the invite comes, it gets expensive to get out of them. So they wait. And because they wait, it is clear that they are wanting and working towards a B12 invite. Hope they can swing. I still think less than 50% chance.
B
byucougar1
In the meantime, I like the fact teams are coming to us to schedule games - nice position to be in and I like the fact that the schedule is improving each year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
Who is coming to us? C-USA teams? They are the only one we have home games with in last year. Sure we added NU--away of course. And GTech just dropped the 2nd 2 of a 4-year. SO I am not feeling it with that comment so much yet. And it is a great cause for concern. BYU can not leverage its future with big name opponents at their place or 2 for 1s Gotta to get home and homes. And some in November.



Big XII answers this. Scheduling agreement with Big East teams answers it(if games late in year). I do not see us joining that league unless they go ESPN with their TV deal. Or we form a new league--again. About it.
C
CougarClaw
frowny face.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
The emphasis on the teams coming to schedule BYU was with respect to neutral sites. That cannot be underestimated as some of the most viewed and high profile ones have been at these type of venues. While it may not satisfy the home crowd, we get mega exposure being on the big stage. We never had that opportunity while in the MWC.
C
Cougarbib
Someone should start a poll to see if anyone thinks any of the neutral sites were even close to being neutral.



What TH seems to be saying is that we can schedule decent opponents all day long as long as we tilt the field of play in their favor.



This is a suckers game and by taking so many of these, we have etched a big S on our forehead.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Someone should start a poll to see if anyone thinks any of the neutral sites were even close to being neutral.



What TH seems to be saying is that we can schedule decent opponents all day long as long as we tilt the field of play in their favor.



This is a suckers game and by taking so many of these, we have etched a big S on our forehead.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I agree with this to an extent. If we do this 1 time every 2 years, I am all for it. But playing OU in Dallas, TCU in Dallas, and WVU in DC are hardly neutral. THey are all away games, just played on an NFL field. I like the concept, but no way would I want to see it be an annual event for BYU.



Again, why not home and home games vs. decent opponents? LaVell got PSU, A&M, UCLA, ASU, WSU, UW, Wazzou, ORegon..etc, etc to di it. We talk about how the ESPN deal makes it more attractive now, but the proof is lacking in terms of actual games scheduled. I will beleive it when I see it. Especially in November. And that is why I want BYU in a conference by 2014. Indy schedudling is getting good, just not in November. November looks ugly. And that should be teh crescendo to the year, not a whimpering end to it.
B
byucougar1
http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/holmoe-says-byu-ready-to-make-things-happen-but-nothing/article_dbad85ea-8633-11e1-858f-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



“I would say that I don’t expect things to change much through the BCS contract,” said the Cougar athletic director. “We have two more seasons that are going to be pretty much similar to how they are now. They will change things and as they start to agree on procedures and policies, then it will distill out to what is really going to happen.”



Holmoe explained that the long-term prospects of being independent in football are hard to consider because of all the unknowns.



“What’s long term?” he said. “People ask me that and I’ve scheduled out for a number of years, but I think two years from now is long term. You can’t plan beyond a year. But I know it is viable now.”



From this quote, it appears don't expect anything to change until after 2 years when the BCS bowl contract expires.
S
scott715
The new BCS will have a big impact on conferences and realignment. No one knows what it will be yet. Everyone is waiting on it and its implications. If we can get to the BCS in the next two years, it will make us more attractive.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
I actually bekieve that is what TH is thinking presently and surveying the landscape to identify the best place to settle down and find a home.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
Lawboy wrote:
THe reason they have not is to remain flexible in case an invite does come. Because if they add multiple games, then the invite comes, it gets expensive to get out of them.


If the Big 12 invite never comes, what is the cost of having mediocore schedules because we waited for a Big 12 invite? We should be scheduling as if an invite will never come and if it does the Big 12 money will more than pay for breakage fees. Unless TH is 90%+ confident in an invite he should ignore Big 12 possibilities. Scheduling will only get more difficult as conferences grow and more commies adopt the anti-BYU rules of the Pac 12.
G
Gunk
byucougar1 wrote:
In the meantime, I like the fact teams are coming to us to schedule games - nice position to be in and I like the fact that the schedule is improving each year.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Northern-Idaho-State-Whatever-School: Hi, yes is Tom Holmoe there?



TH: This is, how can I help you?



Northern-Idaho-State-Whatever-School: Hi...yes. I'm the athletic director for Northen Idaho State...



TH: I'm sorry. Who?



Northern-Idaho-State-Whatever-School: Northen Idaho State...well it doesn't matter. We have an opening in our schedule in Nov. next season and it's my understanding you may be looking...



TH: Well, we are very flexible here. How does Thanksgiving Weekend work for you? We could call it the Potato Rivalry. I'll have the marketing department whip up a potato trophy. See you in November!
B
byucougar1
It is amazing how you guys are able to tap the phone lines and record these important conversations...I appreciate people in the know. I take it the AD was Mr. Potato Head? :lol:
C
Cougarbib
The theory that BYU is holding off scheduling due to waiting for a Big 12 invite or for any other reason is ridiculous. Big name teams have always been reluctant to come to Provo and still are.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
scott715
next two schedules has the following so far.



2013—Texas, Hawaii, Utah State, Georgia Tech, Houston, Boise State, Notre Dame, and Washington State.



2014—Texas, Houston, Utah State, Hawaii, Boise State, Southern Miss, UCF, and maybe Notre Dame
L
Lawboy
Cougarbib2 wrote:
The theory that BYU is holding off scheduling due to waiting for a Big 12 invite or for any other reason is ridiculous. Big name teams have always been reluctant to come to Provo and still are.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Might be ridiculous, but is not any less true. I know of at least 1 recruit from the 2013 class that BYU has shown future schedules to with teams on it that have yet to be announced. There was also the Biegel comment on BYU and Wisconsin having a future deal when he can to Provo as well. Bronco has also made comments about teams like Wisconsin, BC and perhaps other Nebraska games in the future, perhaps because those deals are done?



Like I said, I have heard that Utah is on for 2013 & 2014. Wisconsin is a home and home, as is BC, and that Nebraska just might be a home and Denver to go with the NU visit. And have heard rumblings about both ND and BSU willing to work with BYU over November issues in the future. Oh yeah--and ND wanting to play BYU at Yankee stadium for 1 game scheduled in South Bend.



Bookmark this and lets return and see which I hit on, which I missed. I think my batting average with be good on this one.
F
Florwood
byucougar1 wrote:
The emphasis on the teams coming to schedule BYU was with respect to neutral sites. That cannot be underestimated as some of the most viewed and high profile ones have been at these type of venues. While it may not satisfy the home crowd, we get mega exposure being on the big stage. We never had that opportunity while in the MWC.


Oklahoma 2009?
B
byucougar1
Yep - and I understand that more are to come - Yankee stadium for one and I believe Cowboys stadium for another.
F
Florwood
I was listing an opportunity we had while in the MWC...
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.