Archived Topic

craigoscarson.....

by BroncoBot · 4/10/2012

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
You've made the Jazz brass look like a bunch of fools (and some other teams as well). Kenneth Faried is going to be the real deal. Good call.



Jimmer playing well lately, at least on offense. It seems every time I see a team score against Sacramento, Jimmer is somewhere looking flat footed.
S
scott715
Now can you find BYU a stud JC recruit to take the open scholarship?
G
Guest
I'd be willing to have BYU bring craigo on as a recruiting coordinator. The guy knows his talent.
C
craigoscarson
scott715 wrote:
Now can you find BYU a stud JC recruit to take the open scholarship?




I already did last year. I called the BYU athletic department and sent several messages to Mike Hall about Dennis Tinnon.



Tinnon is EXACTLY what this BYU team needed; a glass cleaner that changes the game significantly without needing to touch the ball. He's married and a good kid that had some issues in his past but made a huge difference for Marshall this year.



http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/01/18/Dennis.Tinnon/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



BTW - word is that Eric Mika is the real deal and impressed a lot of people in Las Vegas this weekend playing in an AAU type of tourney... but that doesn't help next years team and Dennis Tinnon would have.



I've banged the drum many times with BYU coaches, from Nick Robinson (of Stanford and now the new head coach of SUU) to Tai Wesley (a major blunder by BYU, regardless of what they asked of him... he was worth it) so I'm not 100% sure how to get through to them... but I still try.
C
craigoscarson
declocoug wrote:
You've made the Jazz brass look like a bunch of fools (and some other teams as well). Kenneth Faried is going to be the real deal. Good call.



Jimmer playing well lately, at least on offense. It seems every time I see a team score against Sacramento, Jimmer is somewhere looking flat footed.


Faried can help a good team be great without needing to have the ball in his hands. A lot of teams missed on him simply because of his height and the fact that he has next to no offensive skills 10 feet away from the hoop. There was no question in my mind that he would be a major contributor.
Advertisement
S
scott715
CraigO you keep trying. In bball it is hard to find the right player and fit. And with the lesser knowns, they are more risky. He would have been a great add.
S
SpiffCoug
craigoscarson wrote:
You've made the Jazz brass look like a bunch of fools (and some other teams as well). Kenneth Faried is going to be the real deal. Good call.



Jimmer playing well lately, at least on offense. It seems every time I see a team score against Sacramento, Jimmer is somewhere looking flat footed.


Faried can help a good team be great without needing to have the ball in his hands. A lot of teams missed on him simply because of his height and the fact that he has next to no offensive skills 10 feet away from the hoop. There was no question in my mind that he would be a major contributor.

You're giving Faried credit out to 10 feet?! That's very generous of you. He's Ben Wallace 2.0. But a lot of teams can use a BW2.0.
C
craigoscarson
hawkwing wrote:
I'd be willing to have BYU bring craigo on as a recruiting coordinator. The guy knows his talent.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/1819/michael-watson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Okay, I'm going to brag. In all my AAU recruiting days, Michael Watson is my greatest claim to fame. I was asked my Bob Sunvold to find him a scorer and deliver him to UMKC and Michael ended up being the Jimmer of Kansas City. Other than us, Mike didn't have a single D1 offer because he was so unselfish in high school, but he lit up a lot of people without much help from his more heralded college teammates that never improved from the time they got there ( Mike led the country in scoring his junior year).



However, BYU is doing an excellent job recruiting under Dave Rose. They nailed Noah Hartsock, Brandon Davies, Nate Austin (who many considered a project), Charles Abouo (though I'm stumped by Charles lack of serious improvement in his career) and of course Jimmer. They landed Damarcus Harrison, Tyler Haws, TJ Haws, Kyle Collinsworh, Isaac Austin, Eric Mika, Nick Emery, Cory Calvert, Jordan Chatman, and I believe they have a very good shot at the next top prize in Utah, Dalton Nixon. They also did a good job (thanks Jimmer) in picking up Matt Carlino, who will be solid. I also think that Raul Delgado will be awesome and by his senior year could make us forget about Jackson Emery as a defender.



One problem is that this team could look very different had Stephen Rogers and Chris Collinsworth never gotten injured.



The other problem is an issue of depth and experience which is very very hard to deal with when you consider the mission issue. The JUCO ranks can really help make a difference there.



The real solution to our question marks at the 4 right now could have been easily answered if Jordan Loveridge had made the right decision. But since Loveridge is locked in for the U, then I think Dave Rose has to scour the world for a Dennis Tinnon type of player (too bad he was available last spring....)
C
craigoscarson
SpiffCoug wrote:
declocoug wrote:
You've made the Jazz brass look like a bunch of fools (and some other teams as well). Kenneth Faried is going to be the real deal. Good call.



Jimmer playing well lately, at least on offense. It seems every time I see a team score against Sacramento, Jimmer is somewhere looking flat footed.


Faried can help a good team be great without needing to have the ball in his hands. A lot of teams missed on him simply because of his height and the fact that he has next to no offensive skills 10 feet away from the hoop. There was no question in my mind that he would be a major contributor.

You're giving Faried credit out to 10 feet?! That's very generous of you. He's Ben Wallace 2.0. But a lot of teams can use a BW2.0.


10 feet away for Faried means 1 step and a dunk... I think Wallace is a fair comparison and in his prime, Wallace was also an absolute game changer
C
craigoscarson
http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8664&hilit=faried" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



This was a pretty interesting thread before draft day last year.



Considering what Kevin Martin accomplished prior to his latest injury, I think the Jazz would have been in hog heaven in January and February (and of course next season when they had a year under their belts) if what I had suggested had come to fruition.



http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3843/gamelog;_ylt=AqnaM_rstw3KgZQXWCdKzZIIPaB4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



(course Jimmer wasn't available at 12 and Martin once again is hurt... so it's just another of my many pipe dreams)
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
what a fun thread. I love reading stuff by people who know what they're talking about.



Cause I don't.
C
CougarClaw
craigoscarson wrote:



The real solution to our question marks at the 4 right now could have been easily answered if Jordan Loveridge had made the right decision. But since Loveridge is locked in for the U, then I think Dave Rose has to scour the world for a Dennis Tinnon type of player (too bad he was available last spring....)


Yewtah just informed one of their recruits in CA that they wouldn't be holding a scholarship for him anymore after he committed. poor kid had turned down several other offers to go to Utah too.
S
scott715
He signed his LOI. You can't just say never mind. Also note that the player was injured this year. Looks like Utah will fit right in with the PAC.



On another note isn't today the beginning of the second signing period? Delgado should be signing his LOI.
M
Mars
scott715 wrote:
On another note isn't today the beginning of the second signing period? Delgado should be signing his LOI.

Done.
Advertisement
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.