Archived Topic

One man's musing about Riley

by imuakahuku · 4/10/2012

Advertisement
I
imuakahuku
I will admit that when Heaps came to town I was pulling for him to succeed big time. And when the Heaps vs Riley competition started I wanted Heaps to win. I kind of figured he was in the best position to skill wise and noteriety wise to lead us to a BCS bowl game and a possible NC while even getting close or winning a Heisman.

I've rewatched a couple games lately and especially the USU game. It still bothered me how plays were made for Riley that were not made for Heaps. As I mused over this it finnaly struck me. What I was seeing happen was a guy with instinct beating out a guy with more talent. I replayed the Heaps throws and they were usually technically very good throws while Riley's seemed to be borderline "ducks". It occured to me the difference was that Riley seemed to have an instinct for the game that Jake didn't have. Although Riley's throws were borderline bad he still put the "bad" throw in a place where his player could still make the play. If they had been well thrown they would have been even bigger gains or TD's but they still resulted in important plays (1st downs etc. and a couple of TD's for that matter against USU). I noticed Heaps throws were thrown better but they didn't end up in a place where the guy could make the play that was needed. Riley's play reminded me of Montana. He didn't have the best arm in the NFL, he didn't make the best passes but they seemed to be at the right place for his guys to make a play. "The Catch" is a great example. It was not a good pass and if anyone but Clark had been back there it would never had been caught. I think Riley plays along this same line but on the college level. He just has that instinct to make the play at the right time at the right place more times than not. I believe Heaps could have honed this same instinct with another year under his belt, but he was definitely not there the last two years. I even pondered the other side of it with Riley, his game vs TCU. I came up with the same conclusion only that his instinct on a few plays were overturned by his inablilty to ever give up on play. That to me has been the crux of his problem but I don't think it is a serious problem because it doesn't rear its head that often.



So, I am feeling much more confident in Riley. I am still disappointed that Heaps is gone and hoped he would redshirt and then come back with a vengance but that is not to be. And although I was VERY skeptical about RIley being able to be a D-1 QB (especially after the AFA game), I am a solid supporter because to me he has developed that instinct that allows "football players" to beat "athletes".
C
Cougs_Rule
Dont you mean "athletes (w fire and drive) to beat football players? Riley might do as well playing a sport he doesnt have to pass, like Rugby. JUST kidding everybody.

YEs. Yes. Old news. welcome to the reality channel. Have you been reading CC for the last 8 months?
F
frdbtr
I saw what you just put in writing in the Washington game in 2010. That is why I always wanted Heaps put on the shelf to learn while Riley got his playing time. I would have rather seen Lark in 2010 then Heaps, just because I wanted him to play on the scout team and be cultiviated. If the coaches made a mistake with Heaps, it was not redshirting him.
L
Lawboy
Question now is, will the coaches redshirt the 2013 QB, or will they give him spot duty? Been hearing grumblings that they might use him as a widlcat QB this year, just to get him some experience. I would be fine with that, if it is coupled with running the scout team against our #1 D every week.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
Question now is, will the coaches redshirt the 2013 QB, or will they give him spot duty? Been hearing grumblings that they might use him as a widlcat QB this year, just to get him some experience. I would be fine with that, if it is coupled with running the scout team against our #1 D every week.


The coaches are crazy if they don't have hill running the scout offense against our number one d. get that kid some serious reps right now. I wouldn't play him. I would like to see hill be red shirted.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Lawboy wrote:
Question now is, will the coaches redshirt the 2013 QB, or will they give him spot duty? Been hearing grumblings that they might use him as a widlcat QB this year, just to get him some experience. I would be fine with that, if it is coupled with running the scout team against our #1 D every week.


I don't get using Hill as a wildcat QB when we have a starting QB that loves the wildcat.
B
byucougar1
Back-up plan - to keep Riley from getting pounded all of the time. In reality, we put another Riley on the field, don't have to change the offense by design as they are very similar in style (except Taysom is faster and has stronger arm).
G
Guest
Redshirt redshirt redshirt!



Max Hall stepped in just fine without having been given crap, garbage minutes where you don't run the real offense in a game. Why? Because he redshirted and played against the first team defense on the scout team.
M
Mars


I still don't think that Jake ever wanted to be in college for 5 years. Or probably even 4. So red-shirting was not an option in his mind.
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:


I still don't think that Jake ever wanted to be in college for 5 years. Or probably even 4. So red-shirting was not an option in his mind.


IMO, which is why he needed to do it.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Yep wasn't part of the plan.
I
imuakahuku
Mars wrote:


I still don't think that Jake ever wanted to be in college for 5 years. Or probably even 4. So red-shirting was not an option in his mind.


I think that too.
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:
I still don't think that Jake ever wanted to be in college for 5 years. Or probably even 4. So red-shirting was not an option in his mind.
IMO, which is why he needed to do it.

I bet he had an "I will only commit to a school that promises not to redshirt me" deal with the coaches. His father and handlers would see to that.
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:
Mars wrote:
I still don't think that Jake ever wanted to be in college for 5 years. Or probably even 4. So red-shirting was not an option in his mind.
IMO, which is why he needed to do it.

I bet he had an "I will only commit to a school that promises not to redshirt me" deal with the coaches. His father and handlers would see to that.

Everything would point to that. Why ditch the last half year of high school to go redshirt? Heaps probably thought he'd be the backup his rookie season at worst and then be the starting QB his sophomore season, win the heisman his Junior year and then off to the NFL.



Funny thing is, now he's redshirting. LOL! IMO, he ends up injured his junior year.
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I still don't think that Jake ever wanted to be in college for 5 years. Or probably even 4. So red-shirting was not an option in his mind.
IMO, which is why he needed to do it.

I bet he had an "I will only commit to a school that promises not to redshirt me" deal with the coaches. His father and handlers would see to that.

Everything would point to that. Why ditch the last half year of high school to go redshirt? Heaps probably thought he'd be the backup his rookie season at worst and then be the starting QB his sophomore season, win the heisman his Junior year and then off to the NFL.



Funny thing is, now he's redshirting. LOL! IMO, he ends up injured his junior year.


Hard to get injured if you're not playing. I don't think he wins the starting job his junior year.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Here's what I said about Heaps' plan back in August 2010.


SpiffCoug wrote:
- I heard today that Jake has a "plan." It's a plan he and his family have had for several years. Three years and then the NFL. It's why they invested the time, money and effort to the private coaches, all the summer camps, all the all-star camps. It's why he graduated early to participate in spring ball. To play his freshman fall. It's why there won't be a mission. Everything he does is part of that plan.


http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4087&p=33820&hilit=heaps+plan#p33820" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S
stuckinbig10country
hawkwing wrote:
Redshirt redshirt redshirt!



Max Hall stepped in just fine without having been given crap, garbage minutes where you don't run the real offense in a game. Why? Because he redshirted and played against the first team defense on the scout team.


Max Hall wouldn't have red-shirted at BYU if he wasn't forced to by the NCAA. He would have been the 2nd string and he would have started the USU game instead of Jason Beck.
G
Guest
And it would have been another epic failure on the part of the coaches. Although maybe they would have learned from it and not rushed an unprepared Heaps.
S
stuckinbig10country
I'm sorry, I don't buy that Freshman shouldn't play. Too many examples around college football of freshman coming in and playing well at the QB spot recently. Either you can play or you can't play, that's the bottom line. I would hope that Heaps does well, seeing as how we share the same faith and he seems like a pretty descent human being, but maybe he just is what we saw.
S
sage
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't buy that Freshman shouldn't play. Too many examples around college football of freshman coming in and playing well at the QB spot recently. Either you can play or you can't play, that's the bottom line. I would hope that Heaps does well, seeing as how we share the same faith and he seems like a pretty descent human being, but maybe he just is what we saw.


Ok. But the stats indicate that a huge majority of freshman qbs flame out. There are exceptions, and Jake may have thot he was one of them, but there is just so much to learn and experience at the college level of fb that freshmen qbs flame out far far more often then succeed. It is the same in the NFL. The next level is so high compared to the last one that a few years in the system is the way most succeed. Rookies rarely flourish. Jake was too proud and can't stand being hit. Had the talent, not the head for it. HS head, college body. Need the head to catch up. Might happen. I doubt it.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.