Archived Topic

Bronco's Take on This Year's Team

by byucougar1 · 4/7/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
He stated that before Spring Ball started that he knew the team was good and had the necessary leadership to become a very good team. After watching Spring Practice, he feels that this year's defense can be the best he has coached during his tenure. Sounds to me that he saw things that weren't obvious to the untrained eye as there wasn't a lot of tackling/hitting this session nor did we have an ideal Spring Game with most the starters missing and sides not selected to match up blue vs white. What is interesting is the role Taysom Hill may play somewhat similar to what they had initially projected in 2011 for Riley - taking advantage of his running/scrambling ability coupled with the option to pass depending on what the defense presents.



His coments as noted by Jay Drew in April 6, 2012 Sat. SL Trib article:



"I was impressed with the leadership going in, with 29 seniors, that that would be kind of a strength," Mendenhall said. "There are a few younger players that I think maybe their roles might be expanded a little more than what I thought."



Those would include backup linebacker Manoa Pikula, defensive end Ziggy Ansah and quarterback Taysom Hill, perhaps in a "wildcat" role to take advantage of his running ability.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Sweet. Sounds like they should take the rest of the year off and go surf indoors for practice.



http://www.provobeachresort.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B
byucougar1
Bronco: Hey blue, I understand you are suggesting that the team should include surfing as part of the summer training regimen?

Blue: It seemed like a good idea seeing how you feel the team has the season locked up and mailed in.

Bronco: Are you one of those very informed fans that know the team better than the coaches?

Blue: Well you don't appear to recruit Polys very well and the team struggles to achieve greatness at the beginning of the season.

Bronco: Do you like to surf?

Blue: Surfing is for woosies?

Bronco: Well I can arrange for the woosies Kaveinga, Dulan, Fuga, Manumaleuna, Unga, Galeai'i, Alisa, Anae, Kafusi to provide you with some free lessons along with the ability to participate in the summer conditioning drills. I am sure they would like to get your input.

Blue: No thanks - I'd rather complain and moan about how you guys never live up to top billing and don't send anyone to the pros.

Bronco: No problem - it's fans like you that make coaching at this university so enjoyable. Keep up the great support - it is truly inspirational.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
byucougar1 wrote:
Bronco: Hey blue, I understand you are suggesting that the team should include surfing as part of the summer training regimen?

Blue: It seemed like a good idea seeing how you feel the team has the season locked up and mailed in.

Bronco: Are you one of those very informed fans that know the team better than the coaches?

Blue: Well you don't appear to recruit Polys very well and the team struggles to achieve greatness at the beginning of the season.

Bronco: Do you like to surf?

Blue: Surfing is for woosies?

Bronco: Well I can arrange for the woosies Kaveinga, Dulan, Fuga, Manumaleuna, Unga, Galeai'i, Alisa, Anae, Kafusi to provide you with some free lessons along with the ability to participate in the summer conditioning drills. I am sure they would like to get your input.

Blue: No thanks - I'd rather complain and moan about how you guys never live up to top billing and don't send anyone to the pros.

Bronco: No problem - it's fans like you that make coaching at this university so enjoyable. Keep up the great support - it is truly inspirational.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




This was completely stupid. Go read the DesNews: Maybe they have yet another article about how "JACKED EVERYONE IS FOR THE SEASON" and how they are going to be "the best, most prepared-est ever" that you could come on here and comment about.
M
Mars


Terrible thread. Most of the fans have learned better.



Prove it first. Talk about how great is was after the season has ended, not before it begins.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
You guys crack me up. You act like Bronco runs to the microphones to tell the media how great his team is. Bronco is asked questions by reporters and he answers them candidly and honestly. It is not Bronco's fault that the fans take his optimism to mean that BYU is going to go undefeated and win the NC every year.
N
northerncougar
frdbtr wrote:
You guys crack me up. You act like Bronco runs to the microphones to tell the media how great his team is. Bronco is asked questions by reporters and he answers them candidly and honestly. It is not Bronco's fault that the fans take his optimism to mean that BYU is going to go undefeated and win the NC every year.


Some of us are a little gun shy after Bronco's song and dance last fall about how amazing that team was going to be.



I agree with Mars: Prove it, then talk. Bronco tried the other way last year and it completely failed.
B
byucougar1
Let's be realistic here - every year ESPN, SI, etc. Predict who will be the NC and projected national ranking based upon returning letterman, experience at key positions, schedule, etc. Optimism runs high with all coaches but the wise one's temper expectations with what they actually see on the field. This year Bronco has not come out with NC talk, etc. He has however stated that the team has the capability to be very good - we can see that with the depth chart and quality of players that are competing. All coaches have stressed the need to improve conditioning, skills, and have actually called out different postions and their performance expectations. They are doing things different this summer with trained player coaches. Seems to me something is different (good way), and there is a quiet confidence without lots of braggadocio, chest pounding, etc. Something good is about to happen if everyone follows the plan laid out, and the team keeps injuries to a minimum. On paper, this is one of the most loaded teams Bronco has coached. Let's see if they rise to the occasion.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jonnylingo
northerncougar wrote:
You guys crack me up. You act like Bronco runs to the microphones to tell the media how great his team is. Bronco is asked questions by reporters and he answers them candidly and honestly. It is not Bronco's fault that the fans take his optimism to mean that BYU is going to go undefeated and win the NC every year.


Some of us are a little gun shy after Bronco's song and dance last fall about how amazing that team was going to be.



I agree with Mars: Prove it, then talk. Bronco tried the other way last year and it completely failed.


Put me in this group.
F
frdbtr
northerncougar wrote:
You guys crack me up. You act like Bronco runs to the microphones to tell the media how great his team is. Bronco is asked questions by reporters and he answers them candidly and honestly. It is not Bronco's fault that the fans take his optimism to mean that BYU is going to go undefeated and win the NC every year.


Some of us are a little gun shy after Bronco's song and dance last fall about how amazing that team was going to be.



I agree with Mars: Prove it, then talk. Bronco tried the other way last year and it completely failed.


But even last year Bronco didn't run to the microphones proclaiming greatness. When he was asked why he gave the team the last day of practice off, he said it was because they had such a great fall camp, he thought they were further along then other teams and deserved the day off. Bronco has never bragged in the media about how great his teams are, he has answered media questions with a candid honesty that most coaches avoid.



Oh, and Bronco wasn't the only person fooled by how good some of our practice players (heaps) looked in camp. I don't think there was even one person on this board that didn't think we were seeing the second coming of Sophomore Ty detmer (including myself) so there is no reason to blame bronco for his optimism last year.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I didn't disagree with anything Bronco said. I also think he is correct in every assessment.



1) this could be his best D. I agree with could be. He did not say will be. Said could be. And based upon the secondary, I agree. BYU did not have athletes like this in 2006/2007 in the secondary. Our LB core with depth is just as good, perhaps better. DLine as good. Secondary clearly better.



2) Team has great senior leadership. I agree. And again, with 29 seniors, it sure better have it. Add to it hat the QB is a senior, and in spite of his other shortcomings, leading on the field is not one of them.



3) Depth. BYU has more of it that Bronco has ever had. Easy to see as well, and the spring allowed the coaches to see it too as so many starters were out.



The reason I like this team this year are vastly different from last year. Last year I hoped the QB would lead the team to the next level. This year I think the team has enough overall talent and depth to be very good, and if it makes the timely plays and avoids the big mistakes, to be very, very good.



I think we can win 10 games, perhaps 11. Tough to do on the road, but they are all winnable. I fear none of those teams for 2012 like I might have for 2011 (BSU, in particular).
M
Mars


I don't think anyone believes that Bronco is a great PR man for the BYU football team. It's usually the opposite. Sometimes he antagonizes the fanbase, other times he builds up false expectations and then falls far short of them. If he took the "we'll see, they have a lot to prove" tact with his comments more, fans would be happier with 3-loss seasons (while TCU and BSU are continually approaching undefeated status, getting Top 10 rankings, and making BCS bowls). Instead, seasons like last year where we found ourselves getting smoked by USU in Provo seem kind of like a bait-and-switch situation.



It's simple business sense: Under-sell, under-promise, Over-deliver. That's the best way to build up a happy/content/satisfied, loyal fanbase.



Talk like "this was the BEST off-season EVER!" is beginning to come across like a politician saying "Trust me, I never lie" while making a list of campaign promises that he knows he is never even going to try to fulfill. The o-linemen are fat. The strength and conditioning program is getting kids hurt still at a record pace. Players slowly gain weight at BYU while losing speed. Non-mandatory practices have the appearance of being poorly attended and lightly-viewed. These things need to change first, before talk of "our great senior class" of overweight slackers.



/rant
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:


I don't think anyone believes that Bronco is a great PR man for the BYU football team. It's usually the opposite. Sometimes he antagonizes the fanbase, other times he builds up false expectations and then falls far short of them. If he took the "we'll see, they have a lot to prove" tact with his comments more, fans would be happier with 3-loss seasons (while TCU and BSU are continually approaching undefeated status, getting Top 10 rankings, and making BCS bowls). Instead, seasons like last year where we found ourselves getting smoked by USU in Provo seem kind of like a bait-and-switch situation.



It's simple business sense: Under-sell, under-promise, Over-deliver. That's the best way to build up a happy/content/satisfied, loyal fanbase.



Talk like "this was the BEST off-season EVER!" is beginning to come across like a politician saying "Trust me, I never lie" while making a list of campaign promises that he knows he is never even going to try to fulfill. The o-linemen are fat. The strength and conditioning program is getting kids hurt still at a record pace. Players slowly gain weight at BYU while losing speed. Non-mandatory practices have the appearance of being poorly attended and lightly-viewed. These things need to change first, before talk of "our great senior class" of overweight slackers.



/rant


And like I have stated twice before in this same thread. Bronco can't help it if his answers to reporters questions are construed by an over zealous fan base that BYU is going to go undefeated every year and has the best football team in history. Lawboy said it the best. Bronco hasn't said anything that he shouldn't, the fans are the ones with the problem. While I thought we were going to have a great year last year and that Heaps was going to be great, I found myself trying to convince a large majority of you to not get too excited about the offense last year in games one and 2 because of our new O coordinator. None of you listened and when the O came out scoreing only 15 points per game you all felt betrayed. It was not Bronco's or Doman's fault that this happened (I seem to remember Doman telling the fans that Heaps was not as far along as the fans thought he was), it was all fan excitement brought on by their own ideas and percieved expectations not met with reality.
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:
Bronco can't help it if his answers to reporters questions are construed by an over zealous fan base that BYU is going to go undefeated every year and has the best football team in history. Bronco hasn't said anything that he shouldn't, the fans are the ones with the problem. It was not Bronco's or Doman's fault that this happened, it was all fan excitement brought on by their own ideas and percieved expectations not met with reality.

Completely disagree. Bronco built up expectations with his poorly-conceived comments to the media, and then had to suffer from the results of his bad PR. Cause and effect.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
I didn't disagree with anything Bronco said. I also think he is correct in every assessment.



1) this could be his best D. I agree with could be. He did not say will be. Said could be. And based upon the secondary, I agree. BYU did not have athletes like this in 2006/2007 in the secondary. Our LB core with depth is just as good, perhaps better. DLine as good. Secondary clearly better.



2) Team has great senior leadership. I agree. And again, with 29 seniors, it sure better have it. Add to it hat the QB is a senior, and in spite of his other shortcomings, leading on the field is not one of them.



3) Depth. BYU has more of it that Bronco has ever had. Easy to see as well, and the spring allowed the coaches to see it too as so many starters were out.



The reason I like this team this year are vastly different from last year. Last year I hoped the QB would lead the team to the next level. This year I think the team has enough overall talent and depth to be very good, and if it makes the timely plays and avoids the big mistakes, to be very, very good.



I think we can win 10 games, perhaps 11. Tough to do on the road, but they are all winnable. I fear none of those teams for 2012 like I might have for 2011 (BSU, in particular).


Drinking the koolaid. Hope you are correct. I will wait before I hop on that bandwagon. I am hoping riley improves a lot given the extra reps he will be getting before this year. I also hope the coaches go at it hard from the get go during fall camp. I would like to have a team identity going into the first game rather than coming out of our 7th game. go live and scrimmage to allow those competing for position sufficient opportunity to separate themselves under as close to real game time conditions as possible.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Mars wrote:
Bronco can't help it if his answers to reporters questions are construed by an over zealous fan base that BYU is going to go undefeated every year and has the best football team in history. Bronco hasn't said anything that he shouldn't, the fans are the ones with the problem. It was not Bronco's or Doman's fault that this happened, it was all fan excitement brought on by their own ideas and percieved expectations not met with reality.

Completely disagree. Bronco built up expectations with his poorly-conceived comments to the media, and then had to suffer from the results of his bad PR. Cause and effect.




So what did Bronco say last year that caused this fan excitement? If I remember correctly, the Media covering the team was who was building the legend of Heaps last year. Reporters were the ones comparing his fall camp to John Beck in 06. The only thing bronco did last year was cancel the last day of camp and from that the fans have blamed him for every wrong that happened to the team last year. Like that one day of camp was going to make the difference in Heaps succeeding or failing.
L
Lawboy
jonnylingo wrote:

Drinking the koolaid. Hope you are correct. I will wait before I hop on that bandwagon. I am hoping riley improves a lot given the extra reps he will be getting before this year. I also hope the coaches go at it hard from the get go during fall camp. I would like to have a team identity going into the first game rather than coming out of our 7th game. go live and scrimmage to allow those competing for position sufficient opportunity to separate themselves under as close to real game time conditions as possible.


When it comes to the 2012 D, I am drinking the koolaid. I can not express how pumped I am to see Sampson at safety, with Hadley and JJohnson on the corners. Great size, speed and athleticism in that trio. Add in Sorensen at the other spot, and his physical play, and it is a really good unit for BYU.



When it comes to the O, I still am not sure about results, but am sure that the leadership in place is solid, and we have the pieces to be good. If the O line gels, will be very effective.



As for going live, I know Bronco wants to--he said as much in the spring, but injuries prevented it. I bet they go live in the fall a fair amount this year. The fact they did in the spring scrimmage even with all the injuries--and it was not the only time--tells me they will. I think more than last year for sure.
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:
So what did Bronco say last year that caused this fan excitement?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
J
jonnylingo
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Bronco can't help it if his answers to reporters questions are construed by an over zealous fan base that BYU is going to go undefeated every year and has the best football team in history. Bronco hasn't said anything that he shouldn't, the fans are the ones with the problem. It was not Bronco's or Doman's fault that this happened, it was all fan excitement brought on by their own ideas and percieved expectations not met with reality.

Completely disagree. Bronco built up expectations with his poorly-conceived comments to the media, and then had to suffer from the results of his bad PR. Cause and effect.


The only thing bronco did last year was cancel the last day of camp and from that the fans have blamed him for every wrong that happened to the team last year. .


that was kind of a big 'thing'. He was WAYYYYY off and he admitted as much. It was pretty embarrassing for him because it shows a lack of understanding where is team was after observing them through fall camp. to a degree it is an indictment of they way he used his practices or his judgment. Not sure which.



Nobody blames that cancellation for everything that went wrong. Nobody. The point is Bronco created expectations that were not founded in reality. for that reason i don't care what he said this time around. I am not going to listen to it. I will wait and see how things go before I make my opinion. I am not as optimistic as Lawboy. While some of hte problems (leadership) have been addressed, there may be others that pop up. Will Bronco anticipate those and deal with them? I don't know.
N
northerncougar
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
You guys crack me up. You act like Bronco runs to the microphones to tell the media how great his team is. Bronco is asked questions by reporters and he answers them candidly and honestly. It is not Bronco's fault that the fans take his optimism to mean that BYU is going to go undefeated and win the NC every year.


Some of us are a little gun shy after Bronco's song and dance last fall about how amazing that team was going to be.



I agree with Mars: Prove it, then talk. Bronco tried the other way last year and it completely failed.


But even last year Bronco didn't run to the microphones proclaiming greatness. When he was asked why he gave the team the last day of practice off, he said it was because they had such a great fall camp, he thought they were further along then other teams and deserved the day off. Bronco has never bragged in the media about how great his teams are, he has answered media questions with a candid honesty that most coaches avoid.



Oh, and Bronco wasn't the only person fooled by how good some of our practice players (heaps) looked in camp. I don't think there was even one person on this board that didn't think we were seeing the second coming of Sophomore Ty detmer (including myself) so there is no reason to blame bronco for his optimism last year.


Bronco is the CEO. It is his job to make sure that things said to the media are where they are supposed to be. By his comments, other coaches comments, and players comments, the O last year was significantly farther along then they really were. As a fan, it isn't my job to break down every player by position in every practice to determine how good the team is going to be. I trust the coaching staff and players to give me that info. When they fail, I don't trust them anymore. i.e. 2011.



1. Bronco said last fall that he gave the team time off because they were so far along. That wasn't just a simple overstatement, our offense looked horrible to start the season. He set the expectation, not me.



2. There was a fair amount of info coming from the coaching staff about how good the O-Line was supposed to be. The O-Line was awful last year relative to how good they were supposed to be.



3. Heaps said that the only way to stop Apo was with a PI. Completely, and totally false. I have been saying this since Bronco became the HC: He needs to reign in what the players are allowed to say to the media.



All of these are on Bronco. Because of that I don't trust him anymore. Prove it on the field, but I don't believe a word he says.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.