Archived Topic

Another tired topic: Big12, and BYU's big botch

by mcgregor · 3/30/2012

Advertisement
M
mcgregor
First, let me state that I do not think ANYONE has great sources on this subject. If they did (and they don't), they wouldn't post because each piece of information is known to so few that publishing any info would make it immediately traceable.



That being said, let me suggest that many are unfairly criticizing the university. I think for a very brief time some people got excited (myself included, as I interpreted something told to me into something much more than it was supposed to be) because someone at the B12 may or may not have reached out to BYU. I'm guessing that this phone call had more to do with gauging BYU's interest more than an actual invite. I'm betting there was nothing really for BYU to even consider. Nothing to accept even had BYU wanted to join without objection.



So some BYU fans have interpreted what happened as BYU somehow receiving a concrete proposal, voting on it, taking back harder demands to the B12, and leaving the B12 with no choice but to back out of negotiations. I could be wrong, but I do not believe anything of the sort happened.



For now, I'm giving the admin the benefit of the doubt.



(My apologies for the poor grammar in this post.)
S
SpiffCoug
I think the B12 was somewhat surprised that BYU wasn't willing to just accept an invitation B12 and actually had the gall to ask for things back.
M
mcgregor
SpiffCoug wrote:
I think the B12 was somewhat surprised that BYU wasn't willing to just accept an invitation B12 and actually had the gall to ask for things back.


I think my point was that it never really got to that point.
S
SpiffCoug
Here's my theory of a possible conversation:



B12: Hey BYU, this is the B12.



BYU: Wow, you guys sure dodged a bullet last summer in not losing Texas and OU.



B12: Yeah. You're telling us! Hey, sorry about your long-time friend Utah bailing on you guys.



BYU: We were pretty surprised too. They the main reason we didn't go indy previously. We thought we had a gentleman's agreement with them to always stick together.



B12: Well, since they're going would you guys ever consider joining another conference?



BYU: If we did, that conference would have to be willing to work with us on several issues. Issues like Sunday play, same-day rebroadcast rights, BYUtv to be a Tier 2 platform for BYU instead of other networks or families there of.



B12: Oh. We didn't realize you guys would be so happy being indy. Well good luck with it. Maybe well talk again in the future.



BYU: Cool. Take care. Good luck getting back to 12 or more teams, B12.
M
mcgregor
Here's a slight variation on the 2nd half of what you wrote:


SpiffCoug wrote:
Here's my theory of a possible conversation:



BYU: If we did, what would the deal look like?



B12: We're not sure yet. We're just simply wondering if you'd even entertain the idea.



BYU: Well, get back to us and tell us what it would look like so we can have something to talk about. Particularly, ask your buddies about TV; we've got this deal with ESPN going on. We'll need to know how to handle that.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I know the athletic department in general really REALLY wants the Big XII, which leads me to believe that the failure of BYU to join has to be either (i) no invite ever came, (ii) Sunday play hold-ups, or (iii) rebroadcast snags. I think the most likely is some combination of the three--a call from the Big XII to test the waters, the revelation by BYU of #2 and #3, so #1.
S
SpiffCoug
I also think two years ago when the AD (athletic dept) was selling the BoT on the advantages of independence they oversold it. Then when they went back to the BoT to try to sell them on the advantages of joining a new conf (B12) they got kickback from the BoT about how much they had sold indy.
G
Guest
Great points here's. I know we have some great sources on here, but I truly agree that no one but maybe 5 people really know what the actual status is. It's just such an exciting prospect that we can't help but speculate
F
frdbtr
If you are to believe Tom Holmoe then Mcgregor is exactly right. The talks never really even started between BYU and the big 12 before they invited TCU, that is why I have a gut feeling that the evangelical schools in the Big 12 do not want us.
I
imuakahuku
frdbtr wrote:
If you are to believe Tom Holmoe then Mcgregor is exactly right. The talks never really even started between BYU and the big 12 before they invited TCU, that is why I have a gut feeling that the evangelical schools in the Big 12 do not want us.


Holmoe even stated that no invite ever took place and IIRC there were never ANY discussions. There was just an initial call that was the same call made to several other schools and then nothing.



As for broadcast rights, I doubt BYU ever asked for T-2 rights. They know that would be a deal breaker, they have always stated t-3 rights in all the interviews I read. And they once said that if "asked" about joining that they would seek t-3 rights along with rebroacast rights.



Personally, I think the call went something like this:

B12: Hi, wanted to get an idea about how you feel about independence and about possibly joining a BCS conference.

BYU: Well, we like independence but we are definitely open to discussing membership in a BCS conference.

B12: Well great. Glad we had this little chat. Bye.

BYU: Goodbye
Advertisement
M
Mars


I hear that GSwaim says we're IN! Smoke, guys!! FIRE!!!
N
northerncougar
frdbtr wrote:
If you are to believe Tom Holmoe then Mcgregor is exactly right. The talks never really even started between BYU and the big 12 before they invited TCU, that is why I have a gut feeling that the evangelical schools in the Big 12 do not want us.


Tom Holmoe and Mcgregor are correct. If BYU truly had an invite and botched it by too many demands, it would have been a media story.



There is no possible way that stuff wouldn't have leaked. No group is that good at keeping things under wraps.
B
Brayden Green
Here is my understanding of how the call went:



B12: Hey, you have a nice program there. What would you think about the possibility of joining our conference someday?

TH: Would you like to read the Book of Mormon? It is another testament of Jesus Christ.

B12: Okay, Goodbye.



:P
B
byucougar1
You sure there wasn't an injunction that before seeking for riches to seek first the kingdom of God.
C
CougarClaw
Big 12: Hello, this is the Big Twel-

BYU: PLEASELETUSINWE"LLDOANYTHINGYOUWANTPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE!!!!

Big 12: ....

BYU: Hello?

Big:12: :::CLICK::

BYU Hello?
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
CougarClaw wrote:
Big 12: Hello, this is the Big Twel-

BYU: PLEASELETUSINWE"LLDOANYTHINGYOUWANTPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE!!!!

Big 12: ....

BYU: Hello?

Big:12: :::CLICK::

BYU Hello?

I thought we were doing hypothetical BYU-B12 calls and not a verbatim transcript of how the Utah-PAC10/12 call went.
S
snoscythe
CougarClaw wrote:
Big 12: Hello, this is the Big Twel-

BYU: PLEASELETUSINWE"LLDOANYTHINGYOUWANTPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE!!!!

Big 12: ....

BYU: Hello?

Big:12: :::CLICK::

BYU Hello?


Operator: Collect call from from Craig Erickson--will you accept charges?

Dad: Who?

Operator: Craig Erickson?

Craig: Hey, hey! Come on, Dad! It's me!

Dad: I know. :::CLICK:::
G
Gunk
BYU got a call and when asked how interested we might be in joining the B12 we probably said we'd be interested but would need to work a few things out.



When TCU got the call they probably said they'd be interested and would be willing to do anything to join.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
Ungoy
snoscythe wrote:
Big 12: Hello, this is the Big Twel-

BYU: PLEASELETUSINWE"LLDOANYTHINGYOUWANTPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE!!!!

Big 12: ....

BYU: Hello?

Big:12: :::CLICK::

BYU Hello?


Operator: Collect call from from Craig Erickson--will you accept charges?

Dad: Who?

Operator: Craig Erickson?

Craig: Hey, hey! Come on, Dad! It's me!

Dad: I know. :::CLICK:::


Dang that brings me back.
M
Mars
northerncougar wrote:
Tom Holmoe and Mcgregor are correct. If BYU truly had an invite and botched it by too many demands, it would have been a media story.

<Insert over a dozen actual links to media stories that said exactly that>



The Big XII wanted to be wanted. BYU said they were sweet spirits. TCU and WVU said they were the most beautiful girl in the world and they would cut off their own arm to be with them. What do you think Louisville and Cincy will say?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.