Archived Topic

How Good Will the D be this year

by byucougar1 · 3/30/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
BYU’s projected starting defense:



Defensive line » Eathyn Manumaleuna, Romney Fuga, Ian Dulan

Key Back-ups: Ziggy Ansah, Russell Tialvea, Marques Johnson



Linebackers » Spencer Hadley, Uona Kaveinga, Brandon Ogletree, Kyle Van Noy

Key Back-ups: Tyler Beck, Zac Stout, Minoa Pikula, Alani Fua



Defensive backs » Preston Hadley, Jordan Johnson, Daniel Sorensen, Joe Sampson

Key backups » Mike Hague, DeQuan Everett, Robbie Buckner, C. Bills



http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/53809406-88/defensive-mendenhall-byu-coach.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Comments from Bronco:



"...the defensive line ... will be deep in the fall with five seniors in the rotation, along with junior college transfer Marques Johnson,"



"At linebacker, "it might be a more potent unit than it was a year ago,"



The secondary is "probably deeper and more athletic than a year ago."



Comments from Uona Kaveinga:



"I think this is the most talented [the defense] will ever be, since coach Mendenhall has been here,... I mean, talent level, athletic ability, it is just crazy. We got depth, too, and man, it is just scary."



Sounds like lots of hype going into the summer and fall camps, but if it lives up to what is being said, and barring injury, this could be a very good year as D wins games.
S
SpiffCoug
I think the defense can be very good. And like last year, I think we'll know pretty quickly what they'll do.



We have three early tests, Washington St, @ Boise St and @ Utah. Those three teams will all pose different challenges.



I think they'll be up for it too.
B
byucougar1
I am most scared of the UT game. It was difficult to watch the D get pounded during the second half when White started running wild (I also recognize the O sucked and placed the D in some terrible field position). I would like to see a reverse of that game where we shut the running attack down and force them to pass as that plays into our blizting LBs and opportunistic DBs looking to pick off a pass.
S
SpiffCoug
The D got pounded in the 2nd half because they quit.
F
frdbtr
This D IS the most talented since Bronco has been here. Does that mean they will out perform the 2006 or 07 D? That remains to be seen. We need Kaveinga to be like "The General" and make sure everyone performs his assignment with exactness on every play and then maybe we will see something special from them this year.
Advertisement
E
El Xisco
The D is the unit of the team that has my full confidence. I just hope they don't have to keep bailing out the offense this year. One thing I would like to see is consistent pressure on the opposing QBs.
C
Cougs_Rule
El Xisco wrote:
The D is the unit of the team that has my full confidence. I just hope they don't have to keep bailing out the offense this year. One thing I would like to see is consistent pressure on the opposing QBs.


Prior to seeing a unit perform, I think the best judgment has to be that they are poised to be somewhere between solid to very solid. And if they can get real synergy with all that very solid", without significant injury, and then it could be said safely that this could be the best since BM became HC.



Offense. A lot of solid skill positions. A very uncertain of not average Oline. And still an unproven OC. Throw an average O into the equation of D performance and what could be a best D could turn it into just a solid D. If Riley can hold down turnovers, as well as the RBs, then this D has a chance to be special.

Speaking of turnovers. Where did all that talk and quotes of stats that Bronco gave for several years about turnover margin and winning percentage?
M
Mars
byucougar1 wrote:
I am most scared of the UT game. It was difficult to watch the D get pounded during the second half when White started running wild (I also recognize the O sucked and placed the D in some terrible field position). I would like to see a reverse of that game where we shut the running attack down and force them to pass as that plays into our blizting LBs and opportunistic DBs looking to pick off a pass.

This.
B
Brayden Green
The D will be solid. Even top 5 or 10 in the nation, provided the secondary can shore up it's long ball / blown coverage weaknesses from last year, and also provided that the offense can keep them off the field for more than half the game.



I see the former happening for the most part, but not the latter. I have zero confidence in our offense this year. I think they will be average at best against good teams. So, I think the D will take a step back from what it could really become with logging on long minutes, and the inevitable injuries and breaking down that happens with extended game time.
S
SpiffCoug
Of course, if the D does turn out to be any good, it will only be because the teams we play aren't any good.



I mean, that's the only reason the offense looked as good as it did last year - they played poor teams.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Considering the mid-season change at QB from Heaps to Riley and the lack of snaps - playing time that Riley had, as well as the changes at RB, TE, and changing the offensive scheme with a new OC, the offense performed very well. A better gauge of the O progress is warranted once all parts have been inserted and selected starters have had chance to play together for a full season.
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:

I mean, that's the only reason the offense looked as good as it did last year - they played poor teams.


Well, that happens to be the truth. How did they do against Tulsa again? Good enough to win, barely.



Hopefully there will be a drastic improvement in the offense this year. The defense should be even better than last years' with their only weakness turning into somewhat of a strength - with or without Bills.
B
byucougar1
One thing the offense must do consistently is convert turnovers created/captured by defense into scores (FG/TD). This way the effort of the D is rewarded by the O capitalizing on good plays. Also results in good unity and feeding off of each other's success. Can't leave out ST as well - because Sorenson kept BYU in the Tulsa game with his incredible placement of punts inside the 20.
S
scott715
Riley Stephenson was the punter.
S
SpiffCoug
byucougar1 wrote:
One thing the offense must do consistently is convert turnovers created/captured by defense into scores (FG/TD). This way the effort of the D is rewarded by the O capitalizing on good plays. Also results in good unity and feeding off of each other's success. Can't leave out ST as well - because Sorenson kept BYU in the Tulsa game with his incredible placement of punts inside the 20.

Last season BYU scored 87 of their 391 points off turnovers. They forced 26 turnovers. They scored 12 TDs and 1 FG.



BYU's opponents scored 75 points (31 came in the Utah game) off of BYU's 24 turnovers.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
On paper, this will be Bronco's best defense by far. I was worried that our Dline would be a weakness, but I am not now. After spring, it is clear to see that we have depth so the line can rotate, and specific skill players as well used situationally (Ziggy as DE on passing downs). In stead of putting KVN and Frazier out wide to blitz on pass downs, we can use Dulan and Ziggy, and Manumaleuna (Fuga for runs only), and still keep shape with the 3-4 and now have to go 2-6-4 or whatever.



Also, Bronco learned last year that as tough as Tree is in the tranches, he is not great in space on passing plays, so he often either put a faster LB in for him or went with a 3rd safety. Expect the same this year.



Also, Bronco moved Sampson to safety--where we all thought he would play, and also switched Sorensen to the spot Uale played. This allows Sorensen to play closer to the line as he is a beast vs the run, and put Sampson more in space on passing downs to support the corners.



What I am saying is that Bronco is really smart with his defensive players, he is not rigid, and he is moving guys around to maximize skills--so long as they can master the position. People saying Bronco never adjusts or changes are wrong. He did all year last year with his D with great effect.



We will win many games in 2012 so long as the O does not turn it over in big games. Our D will be good enough to rely on next year.



By the way, those of you fearing Utah so much, they graduated 2 starting Olineman. And Bergstrom in a 2-3 rounder. John Wayne whathisname played LT for them. And their Oline coach just got a job at Florida, so they had to replace him. The new Oline caoch was a GA so is new, just like the OC. So Utah will have some growing pains in 2012 like we did in 2011. Especially if Wynn gets hurt again.
B
Brayden Green
Lawboy wrote:

By the way, those of you fearing Utah so much, they graduated 2 starting Olineman. And Bergstrom in a 2-3 rounder. John Wayne whathisname played LT for them. And their Oline coach just got a job at Florida, so they had to replace him. The new Oline caoch was a GA so is new, just like the OC. So Utah will have some growing pains in 2012 like we did in 2011. Especially if Wynn gets hurt again.




As for Utah, I'm not worried about their O vs our D. As long as the passing over the top is being corrected, we will be fine.



I'm worried about our O turning it over to their D. I'm also worried about their returning ability. Bergstrom will go 3-4 round. He's not a very good athlete. O is the question mark.



The D will be great.
B
byucougar1
Question for Spiff - what kind of predictions do you have (based upon historical data) for this year's defense with respect to turnovers created (fumbles, interceptions, etc.) based upon the competition we will face.
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
Of course, if the D does turn out to be any good, it will only be because the teams we play aren't any good.



I mean, that's the only reason the offense looked as good as it did last year - they played poor teams.


I didn't think the offense looked that good last year. they looked exceptional in some of the games but overall i wasn't that impressed, not for what a byu fan generally is accustomed to.
S
SpiffCoug
Turnovers created under Bronco:

2005 - 21

2006 - 27

2007 - 20

2008 - 28

2009 - 24

2010 - 22

2011 - 24

2012 - ?? I'd guess we'll force more this year than last. Only because we have experienced LBs and secondary.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.