Archived Topic

Jay Omer: Y'all talked about him yet?

by mcgregor · 3/29/2012

Advertisement
M
mcgregor
Sorry if you've already been there.
S
scott715
Yeah, it is time for him to retire. What do you think?
M
mcgregor
Clearly, and I'm pretty sure there are many in the AD's office hoping that he will retire before they have to force the issue.
S
scott715
Another guy that needs to learn to adjust what he does.
F
frdbtr
I don't know him personally. I do remember when Crowton hired him everyone on the message boards thought he was pretty awesome and figured he was our secret weapon to a NC. I have wondered for a while why it seemed that other teams seemed to be faster and stronger then our guys. It may be time for younger blood.
Advertisement
M
mcgregor
I'm not sure there's any hope. Seriously. I am very, very almost positive people are trying to figure out how to set that ship to sail out of the harbor.
S
scott715
We have extra ESPN money. Reasign him and hire a new guy.
L
Lawboy
BYU's former strength coach is a firm client. He now runs a board that basically certifies the profession. I know former players who loved him, some who didn't. I think this is common with S&C coaches. Plus the 80's, early 90s were just a different time, if you know what I mean.



BYU has top notch facilities across the board. Strength, nutrition, etc. They need to do a better job getting all those resources to collaborate better. Seriously, they do.
T
trueblue72
Lawboy wrote:



BYU has top notch facilities across the board. Strength, nutrition, etc. They need to do a better job getting all those resources to collaborate better. Seriously, they do.


I remember when Omer came on board we all saw a huge transformation in Luke Staley body development and I remember everyone going on and on about how great of a SC coach Omer was.So what happened?



I know everyone is putting the blame on Omer and from all indications it should be place on him, but at the same time why aren't we looking into the Nutrition dept., what kind of diets are in place for the guys so they can maximize their body development. (Obviously the players have to stick to the diet).



There is something not clicking between SC and nutrition and it needs to be figured out. I hate it when I am listening to 1280 the Zone and I hear former BYU players raving about :utard: SC coach and then in the next breath I hear them say things like "I just don't understand what is going on with BYU's SC department, I don't like the way they are doing things". I have heard Hans Olsen say that several times, he played in the Pro's so he knows what a top notch workout program should be and if he is disappointed then I think there is something seriously wrong.



Something needs to change, I look at our lineman and linebackers and they don't appear to have very solid muscle (Except JP and KVN) we need to get stronger and faster in a hurry!
B
birdie702
trueblue72 wrote:



BYU has top notch facilities across the board. Strength, nutrition, etc. They need to do a better job getting all those resources to collaborate better. Seriously, they do.


I remember when Omer came on board we all saw a huge transformation in Luke Staley body development and I remember everyone going on and on about how great of a SC coach Omer was.So what happened?



I know everyone is putting the blame on Omer and from all indications it should be place on him, but at the same time why aren't we looking into the Nutrition dept., what kind of diets are in place for the guys so they can maximize their body development. (Obviously the players have to stick to the diet).



There is something not clicking between SC and nutrition and it needs to be figured out. I hate it when I am listening to 1280 the Zone and I hear former BYU players raving about :utard: SC coach and then in the next breath I hear them say things like "I just don't understand what is going on with BYU's SC department, I don't like the way they are doing things". I have heard Hans Olsen say that several times, he played in the Pro's so he knows what a top notch workout program should be and if he is disappointed then I think there is something seriously wrong.



Something needs to change, I look at our lineman and linebackers and they don't appear to have very solid muscle (Except JP and KVN) we need to get stronger and faster in a hurry!


It's called steroids...jk :D
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Lawboy wrote:
BYU's former strength coach is a firm client. He now runs a board that basically certifies the profession. I know former players who loved him, some who didn't. I think this is common with S&C coaches. Plus the 80's, early 90s were just a different time, if you know what I mean.


We work with Stiggins occasionally too. Does he always give you guys hats, coolers and other swag? I have a garage full of gatorade coolers and a bucket full of CSCCA hats.



He's not very happy with how he was run out by Crowton. He was with BYU for decades, never asked for a raise, and then got let go so they could bring in Omer and pay him three times what Stiggins getting...and this while Stiggins was getting award after award for being a top notch strength and conditioning coach.



That said, Stiggins will not be coming back to BYU under any circumstance.
C
CougarClaw
birdie702 wrote:
Lawboy wrote:



BYU has top notch facilities across the board. Strength, nutrition, etc. They need to do a better job getting all those resources to collaborate better. Seriously, they do.


I remember when Omer came on board we all saw a huge transformation in Luke Staley body development and I remember everyone going on and on about how great of a SC coach Omer was.So what happened?



I know everyone is putting the blame on Omer and from all indications it should be place on him, but at the same time why aren't we looking into the Nutrition dept., what kind of diets are in place for the guys so they can maximize their body development. (Obviously the players have to stick to the diet).



There is something not clicking between SC and nutrition and it needs to be figured out. I hate it when I am listening to 1280 the Zone and I hear former BYU players raving about :utard: SC coach and then in the next breath I hear them say things like "I just don't understand what is going on with BYU's SC department, I don't like the way they are doing things". I have heard Hans Olsen say that several times, he played in the Pro's so he knows what a top notch workout program should be and if he is disappointed then I think there is something seriously wrong.



Something needs to change, I look at our lineman and linebackers and they don't appear to have very solid muscle (Except JP and KVN) we need to get stronger and faster in a hurry!


It's called steroids...jk :D


yeah. that's what I think sometimes too.
B
Brayden Green
He and Weber need to get to packing. It should have been pre-season last year. No excuse for having a center nearly 400 pounds. The only exception, of course @1:05 below.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNpb9H703tg
L
Lawboy
All I can tell you is that this year BYU leads the nation in player shoulder surgeries(this from the wife of a player). A few years ago it was hamstring injuries, Before that Lis Franc. BYU tends to get a run on a certain injury type every year or so lately. Methods need to change.
C
Cougarbib
Yeah - if we just fire some more coaches the rocket will launch. Sounds just like the stuff posted when everyone thought Chow sucked, Lavell had outlived his usefulness, and the rest of the coaches were Edwards cronies who did not deserve a job or had gone stagnant - and after all the big name coaches did not even give BYU a look, Crowton was believed to be everything that Urvan Meyer turned out to be and Omer was front and center in all of that hype.



We get one top 35 class in our history - go back to top 50-60 level, and we need to fire the SC coach because he hasn't figured out how to make them look and play like a top 10 class.



It is called AA. Folks - we need more of them and not just the ones that missed the cut at the elite programs. We need elite athletes. Now - where are they gonna come from.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
H
HoosierCougar
Cougarbib2 wrote:

It is called AA. Folks - we need more of them and not just the ones that missed the cut at the elite programs. We need elite athletes. Now - where are they gonna come from.


AA = Athletic Ability? ;)
C
Cougarbib
HoosierCougar wrote:

It is called AA. Folks - we need more of them and not just the ones that missed the cut at the elite programs. We need elite athletes. Now - where are they gonna come from.


AA = Athletic Ability? ;)

Exactly - African American - I mean athletic ability - nice save - thanks



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
YNot
trueblue72 wrote:
I remember when Omer came on board we all saw a huge transformation in Luke Staley body development and I remember everyone going on and on about how great of a SC coach Omer was.So what happened?



I know everyone is putting the blame on Omer and from all indications it should be place on him, but at the same time why aren't we looking into the Nutrition dept., what kind of diets are in place for the guys so they can maximize their body development. (Obviously the players have to stick to the diet).



There is something not clicking between SC and nutrition and it needs to be figured out. I hate it when I am listening to 1280 the Zone and I hear former BYU players raving about :utard: SC coach and then in the next breath I hear them say things like "I just don't understand what is going on with BYU's SC department, I don't like the way they are doing things". I have heard Hans Olsen say that several times, he played in the Pro's so he knows what a top notch workout program should be and if he is disappointed then I think there is something seriously wrong.



Something needs to change, I look at our lineman and linebackers and they don't appear to have very solid muscle (Except JP and KVN) we need to get stronger and faster in a hurry!


I went to high school with Luke Staley and was on Stiggins' training staff when Luke Staley arrived at BYU for Lavell's last year. Luke's body was ridiculous in high school and upon arriving at BYU. His body did not "transform" in college. He definitely improved, but he had an all-NCAA body regardless of where he went to school or who the strength coach was. He was doing D1 level football workouts as a high school freshman. BYU was lucky to land Luke because Luke's older brother Dustin was already on the BYU team and Luke wanted to play football with Dustin (never happened in High School because Dustin is about 6 years older).



I think genetics has a HUGE role here. When BYU lands an athletic recruit like Van Noy (or Staley), the difference is extremely noticeable. It reveals the fact that BYU mostly lands three-star level talent that just doesn't have the same athletic potential as most of the SEC, Texas, USC, etc. We could have an all-world strength coach, but the results will always be driven by the lack of athleticism potential (comparatively) in BYU's 3-star recruits.
S
snoscythe
I went jet-skiing with a group of guys the Summer of '99, and the Staley brothers came with another bunch of guys---this was before they even started Fall camp, and Luke was stacked like the Stripling Warriors on the old "momma's boys" shirts.



http://www.1on1.net/1valor/image1/01mb.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Whoever or whatever gets credit for Luke Staley's body did it well before he got to BYU.
T
trueblue72
snoscythe wrote:
I went jet-skiing with a group of guys the Summer of '99, and the Staley brothers came with another bunch of guys---this was before they even started Fall camp, and Luke was stacked like the Stripling Warriors on the old "momma's boys" shirts.



http://www.1on1.net/1valor/image1/01mb.gif" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



Whoever or whatever gets credit for Luke Staley's body did it well before he got to BYU.


Genetics plays a massive role and Luke was big when he came in, but look at him from 2000 to 2001 and there is a noticeable change. Something needs to change our guys just don't seem to have the overall strength that they need and our big guys conditioning is atrocious.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.