Archived Topic

Pacific to join the WCC?

by scott715 · 3/28/2012

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
amazed that this news blindsided everyone. Guess people only have insider knowledge with the Big 12. :bug: ;)



We can only hope that the WCC is looking ahead and that they know something we don't.



. I also think it's interesting the Seattle U, which has a much better basketball program, was nixed by Gonzaga last year I think it was. And now we take these guys.
S
scott715
2nd biggest basketball areana but that means the basketball money will be split another way. They used to be a WCC member back in 1971 but why this move?
S
scott715
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=498&sid=19765887&s_cid=rss-498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wrubel says that 10 teams make basketball traveling partners and Pacific has a softball team to make 6 teams in the WCC and they could form a league.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
I like this move, only because they are only an hour from me, so I get MORE BYU hoops closer to home
G
Gunk
Not a fan...we just added another powder puff to the conference. Isn't there some leftover WAC or MWC school we could have nabbed with a softball team?
M
Mars


Take THAT SDSU!
B
Brayden Green
Do they pray? That seems to be the big qualifier for conference affiliation.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Methodists sponsored school
A
ABYUFAN
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Do they pray? That seems to be the big qualifier for conference affiliation.

Ummm.. they are owned by the Methodists, but good luck on ever hearing them admit to that though......
I
Isola
I doubt this move is some indication that BYU is headed to the Big 12. The WCC was happy with 8 for 30 years. I am sure they would have survived going back to 8.



I don't mind this move. The West Coast Conference put 3 teams in the tourney. I have a hard time believing that if Pacific had been in the conference they would have only sent 2 to the tourney.



I also really like the religious theme in the WCC. Glad to see that continue.
B
billbillbillbill
My guess is Pacific wanted out of the Big West because of Hawaii being added. I am guessing that would add a bunch of travel expenses which could be avoided by going back to the WCC.
T
tmoney35
I like it just because I might be in Pacific's Optometry school next year.
Advertisement
F
flyfish41
The WCC is talking "The University of Pacific" in California.



"Pacific University" is the Optometry school in Forrest Grove, (Portland) Oregon. Good little school though, I went there.
T
tmoney35
flyfish41 wrote:
The WCC is talking "The University of Pacific" in California.



"Pacific University" is the Optometry school in Forrest Grove, (Portland) Oregon. Good little school though, I went there.


My bad. These schools need to get more creative with their names
Q
Qman
flyfish41 wrote:
The WCC is talking "The University of Pacific" in California.



"Pacific University" is the Optometry school in Forrest Grove, (Portland) Oregon. Good little school though, I went there.


Does Pacific University have sports teams in D1?



If not I doubt many people are going to get them confused.
S
scott715
Yes I think NAIA 2. I found them yesterday trying to find the Pacific softball team (I was watching the softball game). They play crappy teams until I realized it was the wrong one.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.