Archived Topic

Doman's Offense 2.0

by byucougar1 · 3/23/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765562222/BYU-football-Brandon-Doman-confident-Riley-Nelson-can-run-the-traditional-offense-efficiently.html?pg=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Interestin Doman quote - confession - and goals.



"would like to see us be the most efficient progression-based offense in America because I know that's what we can do and I know our coaches know how to coach that.



Doman defines a progression-based offense as "a quarterback-friendly offense" with roots in the West Coast offense. "It wasn't tailored to suit a bunch of studly athletes," he said. "It was tailored to grab a good quarterback and exploit weaknesses in coverage. It's been successful for a long time."



He continues, "I didn't say the most prolific or the most yards gained. I want us to be the most efficient progression-based offense. That's something BYU knows how to do and I've got to coach that from our kids. Which means it's a 65 percent completion percentage and it's a high third-down conversion rate. It's close to 300 yards passing a game and guys are making tough catches. That's who we are and that's the culture that we're trying to create. We'll create that culture through grit, execution and tempo because we'll have to create an advantage through those three things. We can't try to be the fastest team in America, because we're not. But we can be what I said."



Looks like Riley is running the Y offense but also using his running skills as additional options. If we can utilize our talented receivers (spread ball around) with a complimentary ground game, we will achieve the unpredictability he wants.



He also indicated that he was implementing a too complex system which he had to dumb down (simplify) - this showed early in the year as plays were being sent in late and we had some real identity issues (pass or run what are we going to do?). Glad to see that he recognized that and made the adjustments accordingly. Now lets work on Riley and get him to the level that Doman wants in his QBs.
S
snoscythe
Translation: "We're going back to what that Anae guy was doing."
B
byucougar1
Recent ESPN article discusses Riley and his value to the offense:





"BYU wants to work in Nelson's athleticism, so the Cougars are going to incorporate more play action, movement, naked boots, and sprint outs because he's really good at them.



But there is no question the base offense at BYU is a passing offense.



"We have to get him real confident in getting the ball out on time and making as many good decisions as he can in this drop-back style of offense,"Doman said. "If he can get ahold of that, all the rest will be icing on the cake for him."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
So all of our offensive line is hurt. Our WRs are dropping all kinds of passes. Our qbs are overthrowing but regardless None ofthem are moving the ball on offense and we've got a dozen of our best offensive weapons hurt or recovering from surgery.



At what point do we start to worry? I realize we're going to have a good/great defense but usually in spring and Fall the battles go back and forth. It seems this spring it's been ALL Defense. The TD's have been few, and the offensive yards scarce.



if the offense comes out flat a second year , Doman is going to find that his honeymoon period is rapidly vanishing.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I'm just going to pretend all our coaches spent all of spring ball on defense. I saw nothing resembling an offense yesterday.
B
Brayden Green
This is going to be an 8 or 9 win season, with a vapid offense, and a very strong defense.



Expect a houston type game against every D-1 team over .500.



I actually think that our defense could, (and hopefully will) be much better than last years'.



I also think that our offense will be worse. Our Oline was torrid last year and with injuries, and losing a first day draft pick and replacing him with a (stud) injured freshman coming off season ending surgery, then you replace our crappy starting center with a severely undersized one. Then you take an undersized left guard who got routinely bull rushed, he gets injured and misses the majority of spring ball and weights training while coming back from season ending surgery. Bottom line, I expect "above average" to be their ceiling this year, and I doubt they hit that often - if ever.



RIley will get hurt at some point this season: Hopefully it won't be a game to game thing, but he will at least get hurt for a few series at one point in the season. Past history + terrible Oline = qb injury. We don't even have a backup, at this point. Our running game should be worse, (terrible Oline + no JJ and no Kariya = no running game.)





I'm trying not to be a downer. These are the facts. We are not set up to run the table against our schedule, so anyone that has those expectations should lower them by half, and then it will be a good season.



Basically, this year we are the Utah Utes with a way better quarterback (if healthy), and way worse receivers, and no tight ends. Defense and special teams will keep us in games. Not turning the ball over will decide whether or not we win them (anyone else nervous yet?)



The only question is: Is Alisa or Quezada our John White the 4th?
B
byucougar1
Seeing how the practice was essentially a chance for 2-3s to show whether they should be considered for much playing time in back-up roles, and that we were missing most starters on the entire offense, we shouldn't place too much emphasis on yesterday's outcome. Bronco already indicated that there was a talent discrepancy on the field between O and D - so defense was expected to dominate. The Offense was also challenged by understanding the schemes/plays/pass routes so they really didn't put much pressure on the D with basic stuff.



I am glad that Doman called out the O line to get in shape so that they can keep a fast tempo and pace on the offense. Note: when we played Miss, TX, and TCU and dis the 2 minute drill - several plays run in advance, we moved the ball well. However, we couldn't sustain this approach like TT, UofH, etc. I believe that is how Doman wants to run the O but he needs the OL to be able to maintain the quick pace. This summer will see if that change takes place.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
snoscythe wrote:
Translation: "We're going back to what that Anae guy was doing."


Perhaps in offensive philosophy, but definitely not in scheme.
M
Mars
Personally, I think that the O has a lot of potential. Winning qb, strong starting wrs, good rb core, deep te pool. If everyone is healthy, it should easily top last year's.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Except, the "deep TE pool" might be a little on the shallow end if either talent doesn't show up and perform or the OC doesn't utilize this dieing element in his scheme.

I would never judge an OC after one season mired in a qb contra of his and Bronco's making; but without excuses this year, I hope BD gets it together--and more than just the patsies.

I like BD's critical remarks, but at some level it just seems like whining about an already existing problem that he hasn't done anything about or can't fix things --like get better production out of the Oline, a new Oline coach or whatever. If he is just raising the bar and not getting caught up in raw-raw-we hear it every spring intensity talk, then great. I just hope there is not a simultaneous message of "ya we suck and I'm already apologizing for it, and we will get the ball to Hoff bc everybody else sucks" kind of msg.
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:
Personally, I think that the O has a lot of potential. Winning qb, strong starting wrs, good rb core, deep te pool. If everyone is healthy, it should easily top last year's.

With all the injuries to the OL, this spring has made it very difficult to assign any predictions of fall success/failure. The offense is a complete unknown at this point.
J
jonnylingo
snoscythe wrote:
Translation: "We're going back to what that Anae guy was doing."

:lol: :lol:
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
Personally, I think that the O has a lot of potential. Winning qb, strong starting wrs, good rb core, deep te pool. If everyone is healthy, it should easily top last year's.

With all the injuries to the OL, this spring has made it very difficult to assign any predictions of fall success/failure. The offense is a complete unknown at this point.


I think we have good players on offense. nelson, hoffman, apo, falslev. i even think that alisa and q are going to be a lot better this eyar. to me what will stop pour offense in our offensive line. they were very average last year and i struggle to think they could be better this year. i am hoping they can even be equal.



i don't know waht to think about this team yet. the reports out of spring didn't sound good. they sounded more like the ute reports last spring.
L
Lawboy
I think that spring 2012 will be a short term loss, long term gain for the program. It is not very often that the 2-4s get so many live reps this early. IT really shows them where they are, which is an eye opener for many. They know they have to get quicker and stronger now.



As for the Oline, I expect them to be better in 2012. I think they will move better as a unit, and will be stronger, quicker up the middle. Tushaus will be just fine at center, and I really think that the right side of our line will be a strength with Brown and Hansen. I also expect Matthews to be legit at LT this year. My biggest concern is LG--again. IT wasa trouble spot last year as well. If H Reynolds or someone else can own it, I think this unit will be good enough this year.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Lawboy wrote:
I think that spring 2012 will be a short term loss, long term gain for the program. It is not very often that the 2-4s get so many live reps this early. IT really shows them where they are, which is an eye opener for many. They know they have to get quicker and stronger now.




yes, but what about the 1s? You know, the guys that have to play most of the time? Wouldn't you like to get them some reps at some point in time? Oh and yes we have some great talent, but what good does an all-world WR if the qb is already on his back from a two step drop? And what good is Hine's speed if there are no holes?
M
mizzoucoug
CougarClaw wrote:
I think that spring 2012 will be a short term loss, long term gain for the program. It is not very often that the 2-4s get so many live reps this early. IT really shows them where they are, which is an eye opener for many. They know they have to get quicker and stronger now.




yes, but what about the 1s? You know, the guys that have to play most of the time? Wouldn't you like to get them some reps at some point in time? Oh and yes we have some great talent, but what good does an all-world WR if the qb is already on his back from a two step drop? And what good is Hine's speed if there are no holes?


Exactly. I'm done with hoping the Oline finally gets it together. It's a poor coaching issue that will not get better with bringing kids on board who have more stars. No doubt Omer is a culprit as well.
S
SpiffCoug
CougarClaw wrote:
I think that spring 2012 will be a short term loss, long term gain for the program. It is not very often that the 2-4s get so many live reps this early. IT really shows them where they are, which is an eye opener for many. They know they have to get quicker and stronger now.




yes, but what about the 1s? You know, the guys that have to play most of the time? Wouldn't you like to get them some reps at some point in time? Oh and yes we have some great talent, but what good does an all-world WR if the qb is already on his back from a two step drop? And what good is Hine's speed if there are no holes?

Hopefully Doman's and Bronco's observations about the OL have some teeth and the OL works their collective @$$ off this summer and comes into fall camp ready to play. Or least ready to get read to play.



I don't to spend fall camp getting guys in playing shape. I want fall camp spent getting game plans installed.
L
Lawboy
I think BYU is just being very cautious this spring. Some of the guys have been doing drills, are doing strength and conditioning and involved in every other way, except for live contact. As I said before, I saw Ryker Mathews dressed, H Reynolds dressed, Braden Hansen dressed, Famika Anae dressed. And Tushaus got live reps in the scrimmage. Only projected starter to not even dress was Braden Brown, but he was there in shorts.



Of those, most of them could go now, but BYU would rather keep them healthy for fall camp--when it really matters, than rush them back for spring only to see them hurt again and have surgery and be out for 2012 season.



These guys will spend summer getting in shape. They actually looked really good up close. They did not look fat and lazy. I am telling you right now that Ryker Mathews is going to be legit. That kid is a beast. HE looks big and strong and D1 ready right now. And--and he looks mean and nasty. You can just tell.



I think our Oline will be as good as last year, and most likely better because they will move better. I also think that they wil be helped by having Iona Pritchard lead block--another guy who sat out of live scrimmage reps, but who looked solid in drills.



Put this way--I'd rather have a crappy spring as a result on injuries than a crappy fall as a result of injuries.
B
byucougar1
http://byu.scout.com/2/1171560.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



As Doman alluded to the OL needing to get in shape and have good stamina last week, it appears this week that he inserted this rapid type play.



"The offense consistently utilized a quick tempo during Monday’s skeli drills, and it seemed to keep the defenders on their heels.



- Taysom Hill completed a beautiful deep touchdown pass down the seam of the field to Skyler Ridley.



- Ammon Olsen had a deep touchdown pass of his own, this one to a leaping Dallin Cutler who hauled in the pass over O’Neill Chambers."
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.