It's not going to be hard to get better than our safety play last year. Craig Bills should be in the mix depending on how he comes back from the mission. I would like to see him redshirt, but if he is heads and tails better than the rest and in shape, he should be a factor at the position. He played major minutes as a freshman, and was Mr. Football for Utah coming out of high school. Dude can play safety.
I love our linebackers, but I disagree they are the best starting 4 "ever." I might agree with deepest, and best overall talent including starters and backups, but I would have to say that 2007's Brian Kehl, David Nixon, Kelly Poppinga, and Matt Doman/Terrance Hooks is still our best ever.
It seems like I say this every thread topic, so here we go again. The Dline is not expected to dominate in a 3-4. Their job is to take up space and not get pushed around. The linebackers are the playmakers in a 3-4. The Dlineman occupy as many Olineman as they can, and try not to get pushed horizontally in either direction. That's their job. That is all they do. IF they can get pressure - and that is a *big* if - then that is an A+++ job, and a bonus for the defense. Pressure comes from blitzes, tackling comes from linebackers.
With that said, the Dline is a concern, as Fangupo is NFL caliber. He will be drafted in the late rounds, and he will make some money on at least a practice squad for a couple years. I think we have enough talent with returning guys, and guys coming off missions etc, but we are extremely shallow at a position that is normally pretty deep for us with transfers, and graduations, etc. Any major injuries there will kill us.
The Oline is, and should be, a main concern coming out of last season, which saw: Virtually no running game against any team with a winning record.
Insane amounts of pressure to both quarterbacks, against any D-1 team we played.
Replacing the LT and the Center (one of whom wasn't good, at all.)
Injury problems, to an already questionable group.
Oh yeah, and our starting senior qb has never played out an entire season in his career at BYU. And the backup behind him (whomever that is) either has never seen the field, or saw the briefest of minutes in garbage time against D-2a opponents.
Other problems too, but I am already getting too depressed typing this... :~(